view from the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a general rule the wife and daughter eat two ears apiece and I eat the rest 12 to 16 ears for me!! And it does take a lot of butter and salt for me. These are a couple of the little gadgets that we use to butter the ears with, they hold a half a stick of butter each and I use 2 of them. Will get pics. of the cooking process when it is ready. ( I can't wait ):surprised3:

and then all that daily buttermilk, too. amberg... u are a walking medical miracle! ;) have you had a physical lately? you over 60?...

planting fall cole crops 7/12/16. about 1200 plants. cabbage,broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower.
View attachment 513096 View attachment 513097

we don't plant our cole crops for another couple months... mid sept is a nice time. did u grow those sets in-house? soil sure looks friable and nice. please be sure to post up some BS pix about harvest time... would like to see them and also on a plant... loaded with BS'es... and that is no BS! lol ;)

A little update on the corn patches, Don't think I will be cultivating them anymore.

sure look good! do u sell your corn amberg? or eat all u can, sell the rest? lol great pix! glad I got to see.... I don't grow corn. have. store bot in season is not what a garden's tastes like... but still very good, very sweet. when I run out or season ends... I just open me a can! lol ;) I do like corn. a fav side of mine is canned corn, gravy, bits of dried bread... some S&P.

I've had corn blow over from time to time after bad storms. In the past, I've worked hard in pulling them all back up into vertical position and mounding up soil around the base to help hold them there. But I've also observed that they'll pull themselves back up into vertical anyway, just give 'em a week or so. I'm talking here about corn maybe tilting at 45 degrees or more. If it's all the way almost down on the ground, then I can't see them coming back on their own without help. Here in TN we've been having a lot of fierce storms blowing through causing hail and wind damage. I've been lucky so far and have only been on the edge of these storms instead of in them, just getting some good rain instead.

I have had to pull them back up, too... even in a residential garden plot...

and then all that daily buttermilk, too. amberg... u are a walking medical miracle! ;) have you had a physical lately? you over 60?...

Never had a physical in my life. Been smoking and drinking since 1972, Only been to doctors in an emergency, such as mash a finger off with a post driver, strep throat, etc. ( almost 60 )

sure look good! do u sell your corn amberg? or eat all u can, sell the rest? lol great pix! glad I got to see.... I don't grow corn. have. store bot in season is not what a garden's tastes like... but still very good, very sweet. when I run out or season ends... I just open me a can! lol ;) I do like corn. a fav side of mine is canned corn, gravy, bits of dried bread... some S&P.

Haven't sold any so far, Probally should try to sell some but it would have to be a pull your own deal, I am not able to pull that much corn with my knees and hips in the shape they are in. But there are a couple neighbors and a few of the dove hunters get their fill every year, what is left goes to the cows, in which I found a dead cow today, not sure what happened to her.

Never had a physical in my life. Been smoking and drinking since 1972, Only been to doctors in an emergency, such as mash a finger off with a post driver, strep throat, etc. ( almost 60 )

i used to drink a whole lot of milk! 2%. colder the better! :) well, when I finally caught up with my med inspections... and they did tests... without me even commenting, told me to cut back on my dairy product consumptions... too high! just sayin...

Haven't sold any so far, Probally should try to sell some but it would have to be a pull your own deal, I am not able to pull that much corn with my knees and hips in the shape they are in. But there are a couple neighbors and a few of the dove hunters get their fill every year, what is left goes to the cows, in which I found a dead cow today, not sure what happened to her.

sorry to hear that... about your cow. so about how many ears would u guesstimate your corn patch will produce?...

sorry to hear that... about your cow. so about how many ears would u guesstimate your corn patch will produce?...

Thanks about the cow. The planter is set to plant about 25,600 seeds per acre, at 36" rows, So that should be around 51,200 ears if all stalks make a ear. Which does never happen. Sometimes they have 2 somethimes they have none. Hopefully this year will be good. :rare2:

Thanks about the cow. The planter is set to plant about 25,600 seeds per acre, at 36" rows, So that should be around 51,200 ears if all stalks make a ear. Which does never happen. Sometimes they have 2 somethimes they have none. Hopefully this year will be good. :rare2:

omg, amberg! that is so cornie!!! lol... even if we half that 51,200 ears... as give a ways, hunters, family etc... at 20 ears a day, that is still 3 1/2 years of 20 ears of corn per day! every day all year long! now I see why you are so cornie!.... :laughing:
haha! just kiddin' there amberg... :cool: imo, you are my fav :numberone:central VA farmer... and also, a fine example of what is good over here on the AS!....

we need to hang there amberg, get your grill happy and :barbecue:again... then have some :cheers:while the corn boils... :yes:

cultivated a few corn patches today. my dad always said if it got dry to cultivate.
20160720_133901_resized.jpg
20160720_133858_resized.jpg

good pix! cultivated rows look nice n clean. what does it do for plants when dry? aerate root zones? let watering go deeper?
Hopefully it loosens up the crusty sol and lets moisture try and evaporate and that moisture is captured by the corn roots. (farmers are the greatest BS'ers).:surprised3:

Hopefully it loosens up the crusty sol and lets moisture try and evaporate and that moisture is captured by the corn roots. (farmers are the greatest BS'ers).:surprised3:

Very true, as after cultivating, the corn roots can search for more water, As the ground is broke up for the roots move faster to search for water. ( To a point )

Back