Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told this might be the place to ask, jackofall i hear you're the echo man.

I've been working on my uncle's 702vl and have it running but it won't stay running for more than a couple minutes.

It sat for years. Im not familiar with this era saw at all but went through and cleaned it up.

Piston looks great from exhaust side, I replaced fuel line, rebuilt carb and adjusted high and low per the manual. Running it on 40-1 Lucas mix. It fires right up and runs like a scalded dog for 2 maybe 3 minutes then dies. No amount of pulling on it will even get it to hit. Wait about 15 minutes and itll do it all over again.

Thoughts?

Tank vent
I was told this might be the place to ask, jackofall i hear you're the echo man.

I've been working on my uncle's 702vl and have it running but it won't stay running for more than a couple minutes.

It sat for years. Im not familiar with this era saw at all but went through and cleaned it up.

Piston looks great from exhaust side, I replaced fuel line, rebuilt carb and adjusted high and low per the manual. Running it on 40-1 Lucas mix. It fires right up and runs like a scalded dog for 2 maybe 3 minutes then dies. No amount of pulling on it will even get it to hit. Wait about 15 minutes and itll do it all over again.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a faulty tank vent.

What was the matter with it??
The rubber tip had come out of the needle seat and the origional brass washer was still in the Saw, I put the new needle seat over the top of it lol

Thoughts?

Cool was my first thought, I I really like how someone told you my thread would be the place to ask, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside lol

Yikes, I feel left out, the only stuff I run is 50:1, but then again it's ethanol free (now) and using good stihl oil. Dad was saying about how way back in the early 2000's he had talked to a Homelite guy in the cities about the 350 not running great, and even he said to run good oil at 50:1. I have had no problems, even with the older saws, and even think that the 50:1 is sorta on the high oil for the trimmer and blowers. Tend to get some carbon buildup even though they are tuned pretty good.

Yikes, I feel left out, the only stuff I run is 50:1, but then again it's ethanol free (now) and using good stihl oil. Dad was saying about how way back in the early 2000's he had talked to a Homelite guy in the cities about the 350 not running great, and even he said to run good oil at 50:1. I have had no problems, even with the older saws, and even think that the 50:1 is sorta on the high oil for the trimmer and blowers. Tend to get some carbon buildup even though they are tuned pretty good.

I run the 32:1 for my ported saw and tuned other saws around that mixture.

Latest posts

Back