Vintage saws used regularly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawkins20

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have really been into vintage old school saws lately, just love their build quality, looks and overall feel cutting with them. Over the past few months I have aquired some nice saws, a couple Macs, Homelites, and a Wizard which is a Poulan in different paint and decals. I'm curious who still uses saws of yesteryear for firewood, work, and land maintenance etc. Please pictures and stories would be awesome.

Wow Ron cool pictures! I too have a Pro Mac 800 I just got off a guy from Craigslist locally in excellent shape! They're really cool looking saws! That's pretty country side there, where are you located? Do you have any other Macs?

Man quite the collection! Your stable reminds me of a guy I watch on YouTube from time to time. His name on his channel is Buckin Billy Ray. He's a Mac man like yourself and has tons of videos of him cutting with them. Lots of other stuff on his chanel too, really cool positive guy.

I don't have any pictures of myself cutting with my old macs but I can assure you they get used regularly. My go to line up is 7-10a, pro mac 60 with bow, pro mac 850 or pro mac 800, and my pro mac 1000

Really cool pictures and stuff guys! That's a pretty picture of the mountains, where are you located? Impressive your girl friend operating that big saw.

Yeah that's true, when I bought the pro mac 800 it had a bow bar on it and I didn't want to use that, so I just stuck my pro mac 10 10 bar on there to see how she cuts. I plan on purchasing a 24" bar when funds permit. Do you have any recommendations on what type of bar and chain I should get for her? Thanks

Over the years I have found the 24" bar to be the most useful although I like to fall with bars that are longer than the tree's diameter. Unfortunately, nos 24" MAC branded bars are getting rare and expensive.

If you not going to use it sell that bow for some good money as some like them. Last time I used a full pulpwood bow it sent me to the ER. That old MAC on the top shelf was my grandfather's. It has never been cranked since - over 35 years now.

Ron

Thanks for the link, I definitely plan on purchasing one soon. Man that sucks about going to the ER, I heard using saws with a bow bar is dangerous. Don't plan on pushing my luck, any idea where's the best place to sell the bow bar? Thanks

Back