want to build a logosol anyone do this with pics ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(After watching the vids)

I've seen those mills many times, milling logs at shows and to be honest, I never could see why anyone would want one of those, when they could have had a small BSM for similar money or build time.

BUT, I think log o saw should find that Rusky and hire him! lol I like his better than theirs!

SR
small BSM for similar money or build time . i will have about 180.00 in mine and if i had all parts on hand i could have been milling in 1-1/2 days . i got metal for free barter deal my back is bad i like idea of standing up cranking handle to cut wood not on my knees with other mill i built, m8 works but, they do have one problem rail is too close to mill if tree is crooked it won't work properly . i am going to give mine more space for crooked logs
Haven't been on here is a long time . Need to make that my new years resolution , get on arboristsite more !!! I am glad I stumbled onto this build ! The lifting mechanism on this build is brilliant !!!! What are the LB ratings on the boat winches ? Whole build looks awesome !!!
1200 pounds i did some more work on it today . should have parts finish rail this week! i have to go back to work tomorrow i will post up more pictures soon thanks ! i will keep updating pics soon i will get to try it out . work out bugs if i have any

small BSM for similar money or build time . i will have about 180.00 in mine and if i had all parts on hand i could have been milling in 1-1/2 days . i got metal for free barter deal my back is bad i like idea of standing up cranking handle to cut wood not on my knees with other mill i built, m8 works but, they do have one problem rail is too close to mill if tree is crooked it won't work properly . i am going to give mine more space for crooked logs

1200 pounds i did some more work on it today . should have parts finish rail this week! i have to go back to work tomorrow i will post up more pictures soon thanks ! i will keep updating pics soon i will get to try it out . work out bugs if i have any
Thank you !!! Keep up the good work ! Can't wait to see the end results !

small BSM for similar money or build time . i will have about 180.00 in mine and if i had all parts on hand i could have been milling in 1-1/2 days . i got metal for free barter deal my back is bad i like idea of standing up cranking handle to cut wood not on my knees with other mill i built, m8 works but, they do have one problem rail is too close to mill if tree is crooked it won't work properly .

You are scrounging metal just like some one would for a BSM... I assume you need a power head, bar and chain too? Just like you would need a motor for the BSM, except it would be a LOT cheaper for the BSM.

Then once it's up and running, a BSM runs for a fraction of what it cost to run a CSM, then there's that HUGE loss of wood to kerf size and if you count your milling time, it really tips toward the BSM....but, you probably already know these things...

SR

While I am not disagreeing with you Rob, there are several things that a CSM can do or do better than a BSM.

Portability a small truck or even roof rack on a station wagon/SUV can get a large capacity CSM to the log. A large log on a BSM takes a quiet a bit of machinery.

Also large logs on a BSM are a real pain if the BSM doesn't have hydraulic log turner and such. Big logs on a CSM can be done in place without moving a log.

Storage. A CSM can set in a corner of a small shed. A BSM track takes up a huge space unless your willing to leave it outside.

Versatility. With a 660 w25" bar and a timberjig I can cut up a 48" log. It would be quartered and then quarter sawn. I am sure they make BSM that big but most of the big ones are 36"~ capacity.

I personally use a CSM on odd logs, not worth driving to the local sawyer. Or to section big logs that won't fit on his BSM. But if I have 3 or 4 decent size logs it's well worth it to take to him as the time and effort is minuscule compared to a CSM.

While I am not disagreeing with you Rob, there are several things that a CSM can do or do better than a BSM.

Portability a small truck or even roof rack on a station wagon/SUV can get a large capacity CSM to the log. A large log on a BSM takes a quiet a bit of machinery.

Also large logs on a BSM are a real pain if the BSM doesn't have hydraulic log turner and such. Big logs on a CSM can be done in place without moving a log.

Storage. A CSM can set in a corner of a small shed. A BSM track takes up a huge space unless your willing to leave it outside.

Versatility. With a 660 w25" bar and a timberjig I can cut up a 48" log. It would be quartered and then quarter sawn. I am sure they make BSM that big but most of the big ones are 36"~ capacity.

I personally use a CSM on odd logs, not worth driving to the local sawyer. Or to section big logs that won't fit on his BSM. But if I have 3 or 4 decent size logs it's well worth it to take to him as the time and effort is minuscule compared to a CSM.

No argument from me either, as there IS a place for a CSM in BIG logs... But, this thread is about building a CSM that requires you have a major tear down to move and then you have to roll the log up onto it. Same could be done to a manual BSM...

I have a very bad back, and I use "machinery" around my mill because I have it and it's faster, but I could get along without it. As for turning even bigger logs, no problem at all, I don't use a hydraulic turner "and such",

standard.jpg

A good quality hand powered cable winch works perfectly...

Did you know some BSM's can be stored in the garage up against the wall?

A couple more things, you can't "grade saw" ANY log without turning it and that's important in a quality logs to get the BEST lumber out of it. Then there's that HUGE waste issue on a CSM, so yes there's a place for CSM's, but most folks, in the long run, would end up better off and cheaper if they bought/built a small BSM in the first place...

SR

nice build pa.hunter! I started with an alaskan mk III, built my own mini mill, and then bought a timberjigg. All the time looking for the most effective way to turn logs to useable lumber or other things with a chainsaw. being on a treefarm affords a rich supply of raw material, i like the speed of a BSM, but i favor the overall versatiliy, portability, and less expense a CSM offers. I was going to build something along the lines of your build, but the opportunity to buy a Bumblebee CSM presented itself, so that is what I have, and i am very impressed with its simplicity, and especially the speed it offers! With the same B/C setup that you use for a Logosol (.050", 63PMX chain),
it mills faster than the M8, IMO, primarily due to the angle of the bar to the log during the cut, plus the dogging system on it is very secure and simple. Being able to mill with the bar vertical is aslo a plus, from what I have seen and experienced . All that aside, I think you will really like your mill. I found mine by checking craigslist often, and tho it was not exactly in my backyard, it was worth the trip to get it! good luck with yours, and I cant wait to see pics!

nice build pa.hunter! I started with an alaskan mk III, built my own mini mill, and then bought a timberjigg. All the time looking for the most effective way to turn logs to useable lumber or other things with a chainsaw. being on a treefarm affords a rich supply of raw material, i like the speed of a BSM, but i favor the overall versatiliy, portability, and less expense a CSM offers. I was going to build something along the lines of your build, but the opportunity to buy a Bumblebee CSM presented itself, so that is what I have, and i am very impressed with its simplicity, and especially the speed it offers! With the same B/C setup that you use for a Logosol (.050", 63PMX chain),
it mills faster than the M8, IMO, primarily due to the angle of the bar to the log during the cut, plus the dogging system on it is very secure and simple. Being able to mill with the bar vertical is aslo a plus, from what I have seen and experienced . All that aside, I think you will really like your mill. I found mine by checking craigslist often, and tho it was not exactly in my backyard, it was worth the trip to get it! good luck with yours, and I cant wait to see pics!

thanks here some pics started raining shut it down i will post some moreIMG_0660.JPG IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0665.JPG

looks even better now! will be great to see it with the saw attached! Did you include a feed winch? I have one as you can see on the Bumblebee vid I linked, I was blown away at how nice it is, and with the stretchiness of the nylon cord, it is perfect for allowing the saw to advance without dogging it out by applying too much feed pressure. It really works well and takes almost all the effort out of running a CSM. Should make the old bones feel not so tired after milling a few logs up. Thanks for the pics!

looks even better now! will be great to see it with the saw attached! Did you include a feed winch? I have one as you can see on the Bumblebee vid I linked, I was blown away at how nice it is, and with the stretchiness of the nylon cord, it is perfect for allowing the saw to advance without dogging it out by applying too much feed pressure. It really works well and takes almost all the effort out of running a CSM. Should make the old bones feel not so tired after milling a few logs up. Thanks for the pics!
yes i have feed winch and you're right nice! and easy!IMG_0659.JPG after being on my knees milling with my old mill this is cake work . i will get some more pics up soon. my v block bearings haven't showed up yet i stuck some cheap ones on bottom till they get hereIMG_0657.JPG

here some more it has been brutally cold 4-5 was high took camera down it was dead bye time i got their first time got about 27 boards cut and i cut slabbing boards and some 4x4s to stack on, wood pile is about gone ! i am liking it fast and minimal effort . IMG_0677.JPG IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0675.JPG IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0672.JPG IMG_0671.JPG IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0669.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 11
had to remove full rap handle and bar spike on 2100 needed all room i could get using 24" bar bailey's ripping chain i have not sharpened it yet ! and i have 6 logs cut up but aspen is soft wood i have been milling with 2100 for years and she has not ever broke down on me yet! i run oil 32:1 with some seafoam in it . starts cold every 3rd pull IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0667.JPG IMG_0668.JPG

When it's really cold, do you get build-up on the rollers between the nuts?
Would think sap and sawdust would freeze in those temperatures there......

Scott (fun stack-o-timber) B

The carriage is surprisingly similar in design to my Bumblebee mill, the only big difference is that on mine the saw is vertical in orientation. Nice looking mill, and nice whack of boards!!

When it's really cold, do you get build-up on the rollers between the nuts?
Would think sap and sawdust would freeze in those temperatures there......

Scott (fun stack-o-timber) B
only place it builds up is on rail when its this cold . don't stick to bearings for some reason?

The carriage is surprisingly similar in design to my Bumblebee mill, the only big difference is that on mine the saw is vertical in orientation. Nice looking mill, and nice whack of boards!!
thanks i really like it ! and the hand crank is nice! i am using small plastic coated cable i had lying around for pool cover and its working good ?

ran 14 logs thru it ! had to do couple small mods broke a weld on 1 roller and put another adjuster on my rail for sag i got some major bar wear, had to dress up my bar up! i think i am cranking it to hard against log . always in a hurry thats me . inprocess of dragging more logs weather is not very good

Latest posts

Back