Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GornTheGreat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for truckload of green softwood devevired to Kansas City mo.

Pine, spruce, fur. Etc Used for Chainsaw Carving so high quality is not necessary.

Flexible on delevery date. Flexible on size range 11"-18" ish diameter.

I know a guy but the trucking might be a little steep from warshington.

And what's the fur for? You make coats for the carvings? Seems like it would defeat the purpose.

I know a guy but the trucking might be a little steep from warshington.

And what's the fur for? You make coats for the carvings? Seems like it would defeat the purpose.
Douglas Fur the softwood. Ha ha

I would love to talk to him. There is nothing but hardwoods around here.

Maybe someone in Washington want hardwoods (walnut, oak etc) from a mill or logger around here and the truck can return with wood??

I do not know anyone that sells wood. It's difficult to get a truckload on Pine or other softwoods in the Midwest.

Douglas Fur the softwood. Ha ha

I would love to talk to him. There is nothing but hardwoods around here.

Maybe someone in Washington want hardwoods (walnut, oak etc) from a mill or logger around here and the truck can return with wood??

I do not know anyone that sells wood. It's difficult to get a truckload on Pine or other softwoods in the Midwest.
What lengths? Douglas Fir do able?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As well do you have a max butt diameter? Rot in the heart ok? How straight ect?

As well do you have a max butt diameter? Rot in the heart ok? How straight ect?

I don't have a Max Butt. I can't have much rot in center as they will be Chainsaw Carved in to Bears, Eagles, owls, and slated into benches. They don't have to be straight as long as it's not causing dead space in the load.

Lengths: I will be carving them into 6-7 foot benches. And 4-5 foot tall animals. Again. Don't want to pay for dead space but the logs don't have to be consistent equal lengths. 5-8 feet or longer would be fine. Majority will not be milled into boards they will be turned to to Chainsaw Carved Bears and other carvings.

-tj

Hey, it's not my truck. I'm just figuring the numbers in my head. Also, Rainier is cheap enough here that it's about even with diesel, on a per-gallon basis, with no deposit for the recyclables. It's worth noting that furry butts are hardly rare.

Hey, it's not my truck. I'm just figuring the numbers in my head. Also, Rainier is cheap enough here that it's about even with diesel, on a per-gallon basis, with no deposit for the recyclables. It's worth noting that furry butts are hardly rare.
Almost 2k from Longview one way it's have to be a hell of a pay day to make it worth it in my book.

I don't have a Max Butt. I can't have much rot in center as they will be Chainsaw Carved in to Bears, Eagles, owls, and slated into benches. They don't have to be straight as long as it's not causing dead space in the load.

Lengths: I will be carving them into 6-7 foot benches. And 4-5 foot tall animals. Again. Don't want to pay for dead space but the logs don't have to be consistent equal lengths. 5-8 feet or longer would be fine. Majority will not be milled into boards they will be turned to to Chainsaw Carved Bears and other carvings.

-tj
When I said rot it's not holes normally they will have a small stripe we have to long butt to make an export log out of. Butt sizes can be 5ft diameter lengths would very but honestly you'd have to pay pretty dang good for me to get chunks out of the brush.

I find it hard to believe there are no softwoods in Missouri. I know they have some decent sized pine(size he's looking for anyway) in Arkansas because I've seen plenty of video of them cut on here by Clint.

Bitzer: I have called all around the Midwest. There are Pine and other softwoods but they are not covering an area like the walnut, oak, cottonwood, sycamore that is logged here. The Pine is usual a yard tree or spotty in the woods. I have even tried to get red cedar which is offten found in farmers fields. But the mills and loggers find them to spread out to fill a truck. The mills don't mess with softwoods around here.

There is Pine in Arkansas and a log truck from there would be great! I have been dealing with tree services. It's hard to get a steady supply of similar sized and type of wood. It's hard to find Midwest loggers that sell truck loads to anyone but mills. The mills around here are small mom and pop types. Not giant mills like seen in video and pictures. I would guess things are on a much smaller scale compared to the northwest?

I figured this would be a difficult search with gas out weighing the cost of the logs. But there might be someone that has a creative solution?

Can you guys give me a idea on cost of gas and cost of load logs?

Skeans: a thin rot spot (pencil diameter) up the center on some of the logs can be accepted. I could plug small holes if I have to or rip them in half for smaller carvings. They are not going to be used in milling lumber or home building.

Rainier??? Is that beer? Never herd of it. Must be good stuff the way several of you talk. We have PBR, Tall Cold Blonds, Boulevard, Weston Brewing Co.

I appreciate everyone on here giving there input helping me learn about buying a truck of logs. I am a full time carver and if it works for both parties it would not be a one time order. Not sure how long it would take to carve a load? But I have wasted a lot of time going out fetching odd size pieces of wood when I would like to stay and carve.

-tj

Rainier??? Is that beer? Never herd of it. Must be good stuff the way several of you talk. We have PBR, Tall Cold Blonds, Boulevard, Weston Brewing Co.

It's cheap beer. It's about equal to PBR. It's one of several from the PNW that were the traditional "local" brews, and one of the few that are still around (sort of).

It's cheap beer. It's about equal to PBR. It's one of several from the PNW that were the traditional "local" brews, and one of the few that are still around (sort of).
Rainier and Oly yummy some nights.

Basswood: hand carvers love it. But it's not the best for Chainsaw Carving. brittle. Details fracture off. But thanks for asking.

Cheap Beer: yum. My buddy in Iowa gets pissed when I put my Missouri beer in his cooler. 4% IA. 6% Missouri. He will drink 6-10 after work but it only takes a few MO beers to ruin his next day. I sneak them in when I can.

Weird beer laws always catch me by surprise. I rolled into a grocery store in Colorado a few months ago and grabbed a six-pack, and the clerk said, "I don't wanna tell you how to run your business, but..." and steered me to the liquor store two doors down. The hell? I mean, it's not less available, it just means two stops. Who benefits from this?

Back