want to learn climbing in MA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehead

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi, I'd like to learn to climb as it looks like alot of fun, I'm in Weymouth MA and was hoping maybe there was someone somewhat local that would be willing to helpme out as teaching myself looks like it could be a disaster until I at least learn the basics
thanks in advance for any info or help
Ryan

I'll go climbing with you Ryan but since I'm still pretty new at this, I can't serve as an instructor. Contact AS member Moss to see if he can arrange a time and I'll try to be there as well.

OTG BOSTON said:
Weymouth a.k.a. "The Irish Rivera"

Hey I thought Castle Island/Pleasure Bay in South Boston was the Irish Riviera! Maybe it's the Irish Monaco.

I'm buried in work for the next couple weeks and weekends, how about early to mid June we get together and do some climbing in the Boston area? Best way to make it happen is set a date. I'm fired up after doing some tree-to-tree traversing weekend before last. It's the only way to travel. Also have some new SRT toys to play with.
-moss

147266344_1b639dd5d8.jpg

Last edited:
Hey I thought Castle Island/Pleasure Bay in South Boston was the Irish Riviera! Maybe it's the Irish Monaco.

Weymouth is where they all moved to after bussing. Now Southie is becoming a Yuppie stronghold!

Pick a date that works Moss, I'll make it happen! I need to learn that SRT stuff. Whats the latest on the Forest Service climbing thingy?

I'm down for sometime in June, also, if anyone is looking for some weekend help in my area I could use some extra cash
Ryan

I'd like to climb in June. The 3rd and the 10th won't work for me, but later dates (Saturday the 17th, Sunday 18th, or the following 24, 25 weekend) would be good.

Bob

We could possibly rain date on the 18th if needed. Is the immediate Boston area ok for location? (from Weymouth or other locations)

How about 9:00 am Saturday, I don't have any problem with earlier if people want to. I figure 4 hours total would give us enough to get some good tree time in. We could do it in 3, anything less would be rushing it.

I can gear up two new climbers including rope as needed. We can work out those kinds of details later.
-moss

Last edited:
sounds good to me, I could use a good workout, anything special I need to get ttogether or work on besides beer for afterwards??
Ryan

Treehead, all you need to do is bring yourself and maybe some lunch. Wear work clothes that are comfortable, long pants are best, short sleeves are fine. You'll only work as hard as you want to, you can take it easy or push it. Something in between is optimal. This will be about having a good time and learning something along the way.
-moss

Saturday morning June 17th will work for me as well.

I'm looking forward to climbing again with Moss as well as meeting some new climbers in the area.

Bob

I'm looking forward to learning to climb, hopefully this poison ivy I got is gone by then, going on three weeks and my second round of steroids right now, almost done itching, is the fact that I'm a big guy (6'2" 245) gonna hurt me as far as being able to climb, I'm fairly strong in the arms and forearms
Ryan

You should do fine. And the PI should be all cleared up by then.

Check your private messages when you get a chance, I just sent you a note.
-moss

treehead said:
I'm looking forward to learning to climb, hopefully this poison ivy I got is gone by then, going on three weeks and my second round of steroids right now, almost done itching, is the fact that I'm a big guy (6'2" 245) gonna hurt me as far as being able to climb, I'm fairly strong in the arms and forearms
Ryan

Moss, do you have a tree or group of trees in mind for the group climb?

rmihalek said:
Moss, do you have a tree or group of trees in mind for the group climb?

I have 4 or 5 location options. One of the requirements for the climb location is that there be at least two adjacent trees that we can climb in. Or if it's a single tree it will be very substantial with a wide canopy. I also want to discuss with OTG, he has some potential trees as well. All of the locations between OTG and myself are in the general Boston area, south or west of the city proper.

We'll probably private message the location to the people who commit to the date. We'll want to know in advance how many people are showing up so we can match the location and trees to the number of climbers and their abilities. That's my working theory anyway.

Bob, if you have a location to suggest I'm all ears :)
-moss

Back