Wanted: Osage Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickbow

Reaction score
Not sure if this should be on the Tradin' Post or here, but since its logs I'm after and not equipment, I started here. I'm looking for some large 18"-24" diameter x 6' Osage logs. Need 4 to 6 logs to start with. Anyone in the Southeastern US have any?

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. True, Osage is not a timber species, but they are often found with timber and could bring a few extra dollars for anyone willing to mess with it. So far I haven't found any in areas where tree services operate.

Maclura is much hated by pruning and or removal crews. Hard as a rock.

Often seen in fence rows of old farm fields around here. Often when such fields are sold for development these trees would have to come out at some point so perhaps contacting a developer may help?

They're a nuisance here. Hate to stick my saw into them because of the gooey milky sap.
Actually, I call them Bodarc and Horse Apple.

They are quite rare as far north as I live though I do know one classic old-farm fence row planting that did quite well in NW Michigan; near enough to Lake Michigan that it could be either Zone 5 or maybe even Zone 6, most years.

So I haven't pursued this idea .... but there is now finally a market for the "monkey balls". It seems they are in demand in the cosmetics industry as an ingredient for some sort of moisturizer or some other product. So there is a purchaser in Iowa who buys them in by the truck-load. As in semi-Truck load.

I heard about it on NPR and the details are available via Google and enough keywords from those two paragraphs there.

Sounds like easy money to me, in areas where they are a common tree. I like raking money off the ground as I am a professional acorn dealer. But since it requires being outdoors and a minimum of muscle movement, I think the story I read when I looked into this is that mostly the Amish are supplying this new market, as most people these days are quite afraid of moving a muscle in the scary Outdoors.

Back