wanting to climb in southeastern New York State

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamO

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok here's the story: my climbing buddy (I never go alone) recently left for Florida for a job there. He has a rope and saddle etc and we would just go off into the woods to find a nice tree, get the rope up, and take turns climbing/practicing all sorts of techniques. We've climbed some nice big hardwoods, but I don't think I have ever been more than 50 feet off the ground. I know my knots pretty well and I'm getting better with the throwbag (he's also got a bow and arrow that we rigged with a spool used for bow-fishing. It's been helpful in many situations). The trouble is, now that he's out of town, I've got no one to climb with and no gear. I'm not very experienced but I'm thirsting for it. I'd like to buy some basic equipment to get myself started but I don't want to buy anything until I have more experience. If you are anywhere near Westchester county (just north of New York City) please contact me, I'm going crazy here.

Go up to Mahopac, Vermeer on Rt. 6 will have everything you need. You could also try Muench Co. in Stamford. There are a few mower shops which will have some basic tree gear... and even Muench is just basic stuff.

Hey Treeman82,

Thanks for the pointer. I'll definitely get up there and check the place out. I understand you're an arborist by profession, but I wonder if you'd be interested or if you know anyone that would be interested in joining me for some recreational treeclimbing? The only thing worse than never having climbed a tree, is having climbed a few times...

-Adam O.

I've been working on pruning this one 4' DBH black oak for the last couple of weeks.. it would be nice to have some company up there, but unfortunately it's a job sort of.

Latest posts

Back