Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone responded to my Craigslist ad looking for old chainsaws and they have a good looking 034 super that won't run right and It dies when turned on it's side. I am thinking it is a bad crank seal. Will I be able to pull the seals out without splitting the case. He says the saw still runs and has good compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone responded to my Craigslist ad looking for old chainsaws and they have a good looking 034 super that won't run right and It dies when turned on it's side. I am thinking it is a bad crank seal. Will I be able to pull the seals out without splitting the case. He says the saw still runs and has good compression.

I am no stihl expert

Snagged this bad boy today.
8ec124cbc976de2e4257db7745d3318c.png

Ahh ok cool i got a white model 71, idk if you've ever run one but itll make your ears ring. You can look right into the "muffler" and watch the piston moving. Lol love it

Ahh ok cool i got a white model 71, idk if you've ever run one but itll make your ears ring. You can look right into the "muffler" and watch the piston moving. Lol love it

No sir never run one before. This one supposedly doesn't have spark so I have some work to do on it. But I have several in front of it too.

With good fuel and high quality oil you dont have to run super thick mixes anymore... but 32:1 wouldnt hurt it either.

Yeh I was thinking a 32:1 mix with the full synthetic but figured I'd ask. I do non ethanol as well

I have two questions
1 - I run the orange bottle Stihl oil that mixes 50:1, is that okay? If not what should I use or how should I mix it until I use up what I already got.

2 - what's a good method to clean a fuel tank?

I run 50:1 stihl ultra the silver bottle bc its synthetic. As far as cleaning a tank out, it depends on whats in it and how bad.

I run 50:1 stihl ultra the silver bottle bc its synthetic. As far as cleaning a tank out, it depends on whats in it and how bad.
I'll have to see if I can get a photo of it. As for the regular Stihl oil in the orange bottle, how should I mix it? Should I keep using 1 bottle per gallon of non ethanol gas (50:1) or mix it to a lower ratio?

I usually mix 40:1 100ll av gas for the old stuff and 50:1 100ll av gas for the new stuff. but honestly with good quality oil 50:1 should be fine.

I've been running 32:1 but I don't use synthetic oil. Some of my saws smoke like a mosquito fogger too.

Its really personal preference i too run 40:1 in old dogs and 50:1 in my late models. 40:1 semi synthetic, 50:1 full synthetic. Just make sure the carb is tuned correct, it will be ok i wouldnt go any leaner than 50:1 though

Its really personal preference i too run 40:1 in old dogs and 50:1 in my late models. 40:1 semi synthetic, 50:1 full synthetic. Just make sure the carb is tuned correct, it will be ok i wouldnt go any leaner than 50:1 though
And by making sure the carb is tuned correctly means making sure it's running and idling rich but leans out in the cut correct?

Back