Watering of a new Leyland Cypress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smridge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How often do I water a Leyland Cypress that has been in the ground about 3 months? I live in NC and it is about 90+ degrees... The trees are about 3 feet tall. Also, any tips on getting them to grow faster would be helpful.. How often do I fertilize?

Soak the root area well and then let it just dry out before watering again. Poke your finger or a small stick a few inches into the soil to see if it's wet or not. Over watering can be just as bad as under watering.
Check the root ball, not the surrounding soil, it will dry out sooner. Use a finger or stick to poke a couple inches into he ball, to check for moisture.
The tree will spend some time establishing new roots first, don't expect them to take off immediately.
Use some composted manure, available at garden centers for a couple bucks a bag, to add organic matter to the surface and supply all the fertilizer needed. The bag has instructions for application rates. Just spread it out on the surface. Repeat annually.
Then top dress with a thin layer of decorative wood chips, which will break down over time into compost, help moderate soil temperatures, and help hold soil moisture. Total added compost and wood chips should be no deeper than about 2".
You want your chip bed to extend out a bit farther than the drip line of the tree. If the bed is too small, it won't invite new roots to grow outward.

Check the link below to see if it was planted right. If you dug a small hole in hard clay, you are drowning your plants..

Thanks for the link.. We actually have alot of sand around here and so far the trees look ok When we planted the trees, we dug the holes deeper and filled the entire hole with topsoil and then placed the trees in the that. The Leyland cypress have been in the ground for about 4-5 months and so far they don't have any discoloration or damage. I just was not sure how much to water them since the weather is getting so hot. We did everything but stake the trees. We actually have a weeping willow in our front yard that was planted last year and it has grown about 4 feet since we planted it.

smridge said:
Thanks for the link.. When we planted the trees, we dug the holes deeper and filled the entire hole with topsoil and then placed the trees in the that. .
please read that link. When that topsoil breaks down, the trees will settle deeper into the hole. Please post a pic of the trunk flare, so we can advise on irrigation.

lelands

A little 10-10 -10 and Ironite may help.
Don't expect much growth until next season.

Latest posts

Back