Wedge Belt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Reaction score
Of course now that Sliverpicker is offline for the next two weeks, heres my wedgebelt. Axe handle is 22". Cordless drill holster cinched up with small bolts. Suspenders bolted on. The big silver ring is where I hang my fuel/oil/water bottles. Tapes are double clipped on. Bar wrench is clipped on and I always run it through the spare chain so I don't lose it. The pouch is just a carpenter pouch cinched up. The chain has its own pocket above the wedges. The wedges are a new 12, a cut off 12, and a 10. That black 10"er is a demo the saw shop asked me to try out. I also have tally clickers on the welt clips that you can't see. I like to tally logs/trees. This rig is about two years old. I think this is the second set of suspenders.

wedgebelt.jpg

Think I may have copied yers a few years ago,

A.L.I.C.E. spenders and pistol belt with the leather wedge pouch probably from bailey's, and an old style m16 mag pouch for a first aid kit. As of now I'm just stuffing the axe through the back between belt and me arse, like the idear of the drill holster though. Used to use a hammer loop but it kind of sucked, wan't big enough and let the axe flop around and trip a guy up. Used to have a tally thing on the shoulder strap but, I kept hitting the button when beating wedges... messed everything up.

Gyppo jugs and water I carry separate and drop at a "fallers camp" being I only get about 6-10 trees limbed and bucked to a day I don't move very far real often.

So why the double beeners on the tapes? Only time I've ever lost one was cause the screws had backed out on the bit that holds the loop to the case. I do have some heavy duty key rings I hang the tape off, work it through the holes in the belt.

Also why 2 tapes? Yer not the first guy I've seen doing this just can't figure out why.

I use the belt and suspender system from Grizzly Peak though it gets used rarely. Mostly I use my back pocket cause I'm close to the truck. My fire pack must weigh 30lbs with water and two 36" chains and shelter and all the misc junk.

BTW us the case for a 75' tape the same as a 50 footer? I have never even seen a 75' tape in real life.

A.L.I.C.E. spenders and pistol belt with the leather wedge pouch probably from bailey's, and an old style m16 mag pouch for a first aid kit. As of now I'm just stuffing the axe through the back between belt and me arse, like the idear of the drill holster though. Used to use a hammer loop but it kind of sucked, wan't big enough and let the axe flop around and trip a guy up. Used to have a tally thing on the shoulder strap but, I kept hitting the button when beating wedges... messed everything up.

Gyppo jugs and water I carry separate and drop at a "fallers camp" being I only get about 6-10 trees limbed and bucked to a day I don't move very far real often.

So why the double beeners on the tapes? Only time I've ever lost one was cause the screws had backed out on the bit that holds the loop to the case. I do have some heavy duty key rings I hang the tape off, work it through the holes in the belt.

Also why 2 tapes? Yer not the first guy I've seen doing this just can't figure out why.

I lost two tapes within days of each other. That was enough to put that second snap on there. With two tapes you have one on each hip. Much faster. You can work the tree from whatever side you're on, no gettin tangled up, and you can measure back from the top if you need to. Say i tape into the butt and i find some rot in the middle i can tape in from the top and figure out my best bucking order. On occaision i will tape two stems at once if laid out properly. It took me a while to get used go it, but going to which ever tape i need is natural now. I walk my stems when measuring and sometimes its better to have the tape spooling off one hip than the other.

I normally carry two tapes a 75 and a 55 with me for doing poles or even two 55's for export for marking and pin in the next tape before pulling the first. Also I'll use them as a sight on super long or big sticks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just drag along the 75' tape wound up to where it stops around 70 or so, think I need to look into a 100' spring. Its not that much heavier then a 50.

The 75 is nice cause i can just keep going on most trees, mark at x length and if I have to I can come back and remark if I run out of tree for the second log. Does make it a total bummer when it pulls loose halfway down the second log.

I originally got the 75 for possibly making poles, gluing 2 50's together seemed kinda goofy

I normally carry two tapes a 75 and a 55 with me for doing poles or even two 55's for export for marking and pin in the next tape before pulling the first. Also I'll use them as a sight on super long or big sticks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
55? never seen one. i could do with that if its smaller. i got the 75 cuz pine is cut at 52' for this mill.

Just drag along the 75' tape wound up to where it stops around 70 or so

That's how I do it. That 5' wound around the spindle is insurance against walking off the end of the tape and pulling the anchor screw loose. I mostly use the first ten feet for DBH, and 66' for heights, and not as much anything in between.

In the winter wet and mud I use a 50' filler in a 75' case, it always winds up. Always have a wrap on the spindle, saves walking off the end. Darn things are gettin expensive. I just use 1 tape at a time, I'm easily confused. I have 1/2 a dozen spares floating around the office (pickup). I use suspenders on my belt and my belt will fit on the outside of snow or rain gear.

I never cared to have a bunch of stuff strapped around my middle. The only thing on my belt was a tape.
Well when a days worth of cutting is a handful of 10 ft dbh trees why would you need too? You been doin any fishing out there? Retired guys get to do that right?

He had a stick 4' long marked out like a yard stick. Back in the day it is what they used, new fangled is a steel tape.

Back