Wedge Stacking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you got white oak and black locust on that side?

Yah, we have native white oaks here, Quercus garryana. They grow all over up and down the west coast. We also have invasive black locust here that the pioneers brought and planted when they came out in the wagon trains. I live just off the old Barlow (Oregon) Trail. They planted the locusts for using as fence posts back in the day. There was a town a few miles from here 100 years ago, and all that is left of it is a grove of black locust trees. Nothing else. They moved all the houses and stores out of there during the great depression.

Black oak or gerry oaks are more common farther south down by Olympia and points farther south, the closer you get to oregon the bigger and healthier they get. Maybe some white oak too? not sure there.

Gerry oak is actually white oak, AKA: Oregon white oak, Quercus garryana. The black oaks (AKA: California black oak, Quercus kelloggii) grows only as far north as Eugene. My ex in southern Oregon has both on her property, well over 6 ft DBH and 120 ft high. Looking at them you cannot tell them apart, except for the leaves. Black oaks have pointy leaves, white oaks have rounded tip leaves. Black oak is actually in the red oak family.

Also, they were signing people on as qualified fellers who showed up with a MS 250 and an 18" bar. When the NATS guys told us that a Humboldt was an unsafe cut, I realized that I had absolute retards for bosses. They also told me that my husky 390xp w/36" bar was too big of a saw, and that I shouldn't run it all day or I would get too tired.

:ices_rofl:

I thought that 'fallers' with 290s were bad. I saw a lot of them on chipping jobs around here. Don't wanna run that 390 too long or you might get tired? You might actually get tired falling trees? OMG! Holy shirt... where is that OSHA number I had...

Ok...here's one for ya. Why do they call a lift and a half / double lift, a triple taper but don't call single taper a double tapper and a double tapper a double taper edge.
And what was a matter with skip, full and semi? Why would they have to call it FULL skip when we already had a 'full', dam it.

Ok...here's one for ya. Why do they call a lift and a half / double lift, a triple taper but don't call single taper a double tapper and a double tapper a double taper edge.
And what was a matter with skip, full and semi? Why would they have to call it FULL skip when we already had a full dam it.

Ok I will see your chainsaw chains and raise you a bicycle pedal.

Once upon a time there were just rectangular pedals, we'll call them candy bars, then someone made candy bar pedals with Straps, these got names "Clip on's". Later they came put with pedals that you had to wear special shoes with special cleats to use, these cleats actually clicked into/locked into the pedals.... these pedals were named "Clipless pedals".......

Windthrown thanks fer the correction... the oaks don't grow much here.

And michell whatever... I'd quote ya but it would take all day...

The bore with a strap thing is GOL all the way. I suppose it has its uses though honestly I don't use it often only on severe leaners. Honestly GOL/SSD has been beaten to death on this particular forum for years, and doing so again sound wearisome... though if pushed I will feel better after beating up on some swedish nonsense.

As far as jacking I personally don't jack nearly as often as I probably should, my jacks are 25 ton automotive jacks and therefore are very heavy, so the work they would save on beating wedges is lost on dragging them around. So I only drag em out when I have a large tree with obvious back lean or get into trouble and run out of wedges, like on the cedar in the picture. Sometimes if I'm close to the crummy and have a less then ideal fall, I'll go ahead and plan on using em, they are very smooth when it comes to lift so there is possibly less shock to the hold wood... maybe? You should still back up a jack with wedges any way, don't necessarily have to beat on em but just keep em tight, so if the jack fails and they eventually will, the wedges are there to take the weight.

As far as wedging or jacking a heavy back leaner over, every method has its limits, and judgment comes into play. Without giving specifics if it looks like a lot of lean it gets pulled or pushed depending on what kind of equipment is available, or in the case of the current job leave em as not worth the effort.

Also I regularly work in target rich environments, probably 10% of the trees I fall threaten structures of some sort or another with direct lean or close enough to warrant a line hung in em. Of the rest probably 60% or better would be considered "danger" trees in that they are close enough to damage structures if they where to fall in that general direction, which legally around here is a tree length and a half to the stump to the nearest building.

P.S. Jacks are good for snags as well, being smooth and easy it leaves your head free to watch the top for excessive movement, giving you crucial split seconds to get clear if the top of some rotten ole owl nest decides to try and squish the puny human that is tickling its feet.

Wedging snags is sketch city... whack wiggle wiggle wiggle, whack wiggle wiggle wiggle topple... Frankly I'm not cool enough to swing an axe and hit what I'm aiming at without looking, and I doubt many are.

Gerry oak is actually white oak, AKA: Oregon white oak, Quercus garryana. The black oaks (AKA: California black oak, Quercus kelloggii) grows only as far north as Eugene. My ex in southern Oregon has both on her property, well over 6 ft DBH and 120 ft high. Looking at them you cannot tell them apart, except for the leaves. Black oaks have pointy leaves, white oaks have rounded tip leaves. Black oak is actually in the red oak family.
wow, at that size you all should have some dandy export markets. white oak has been hot here for a few years now. hell, i rather see it than black walnut in a way.

a 390 is to big??????wtf i guess if i showed up with a 660 full wrap and 36" i am what? over or under qualified? i didn't know you guys on the west coast had to hear this crap.....i'm used to it and just say y'all better get outta the way lol.

Great day today, sun came out and I got to play in a good sized pine.
Didn't need the extra wedge lift to fall the spar, so that part didn't matter.
As far as saw size, I'm finding I use a smaller saw a little more efficiently to make all my cuts line up better for this method of cutting, while boring in, cutting a 48" tree with a 24" in bar is possible, we did that the other day.
Maybe it's just because I've always ran my saws left handed and am not as comfortable with the 395 holding it what seems backwards to me.

Latest posts

Back