Weed eater /brush cutter muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffreyZirkle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I am planning to buy a brush cutter for up keep on some hunting lease i have. Mainly clearing a few roads of briars and shooting lanes.
So I got to thinking, instead of spending 500.00 on a Stihl 131, could a guy get away with a 91 and do a muffler mod on it and pull the same power as the 131.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I misremembered, mine's a fs81, not 91 - only 22.5cc's and it's up for sale. :) My Echo would eat this thing alive.

Sold it for $200 with new blade, tuned up, and new filters. One owner, non-commercial use.

Money's going towards my Echo 355t. :D

If you are clearing shooting lanes might I suggest saving up for some type of brush mower. If you get a brush cutter/clearing saw you still have to deal with the brush whereas a mower it's mulch.
I have a Husqy 345rx that I have slashed and burned/chipped many acres over the years. I went with that model because it can run any head configuration: bump head weed whip, fixed string whip, brush blade, or a saw blade for bigger trees. Largest I have felled with it was around 10" at the ground.

The muffler on the 130-131's is not easily modded. I own 3 of them on different setups and they all work great as is. I modified the carbs to be adjustable and then pulled the mufflers to "mod" them and decided that it was too much work to be worth it

Latest posts

Back