Weeping Mulberry very near house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielinTheLionsDen

Reaction score
I have a weeping mulberry tree which a previous home owner planted very near the house. I measured 9ft from the front of the house to the truck of the mulberry tree. It is the larger male weeping mulberry and I'm thinking it is too close to the house. Last summer the branches were getting into the gutters and almost onto the roof. There are also small fibrous roots just below the rocks in the crawlspace at the corner where the tree is located. I've tried to lookup info on this and what I'm finding is that mulberry should not be near a house due to the aggressive roots and possible foundation damage. I can't find anything specific about the weeping form but I assume it is the same since it is the root system from a normal non-weeping white mulberry with the weeping form graphted onto it. I'm planning to remove it and replace it with an eastern redbud. I really like the weeping mulberry though, if I knew for sure that is safe to have it that close to the house I would definitely leave it. Can anyone confirm or deny for me whether this tree is too close to the house?

Thanks guys. Just needed someone to confirm that I wouldn't be needlessly destroying a really cool tree. Any thoughts on Eastern Red bud in the same spot. I have someone who is giving me one of those in the Spring. My understanding is that the Eastern Redbud does not have a destructive root system and is much safer for planting near houses.

Remove that thing and treat the stump so that it will not grow back. Mulberry will aggressively re-sprout so a dose of Tordon is in order as soon as the tree is cut. If you wait a day, cut off the surface of the stump top and then treat it. The Tordon is <$10 at a local garden center.

Back