Weird or Unusual things in/on saws/pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those pics are examples of why it isn't always wise to remove spark screens in the muffler. Without the screen, one of those dirt daubers can build a nest right in you cylinder if they want. Picture firing up the saw with the cylinder and muffler full of clay...
Lol
Yep. Gives a whole new meaning to "squish"

Double Arghh! A view of stratified charge intake after both backflow reeds20160114_204039.jpg20160105_192228.jpg20160114_181551.jpg on both sides of a Stihl TS700 aftermarket cylinder failed from bad casting seats that slipped through Q control.
Also, to make matters worse, that's sand cast that was somewhere in a hidden port that didn't get flushed out in manufacturing.
Plus the icing on the cake is that this Is the second one in a row that did this! This pic is the warranty replacement cylinder......lesson learned.
I think this cylinder might be too complex for Hyway to manufacture. These check reeds, are only on the "stratified charge" intake air only ports. Unusual design to me. When they failed because of a rough surface and hole cast in the wrong place, it causes incredible spitback that soaks the filter and floods out.
The middle pic is of one of the reed petals that detached and hung in a port! Fail!

This was a Craigslist find Dayton branded Poulan 5200 that I had shipped from Connecticut.

Dayton4Z2524_zpsdf213987.jpg

Those are small acorns that came out of the muffler along with the pieces of carbon.

Dayton4Z252mufflerjunk_zps6910600c.jpg

This was a Craigslist find Dayton branded Poulan 5200 that I had shipped from Connecticut.
Those are small acorns that came out of the muffler along with the pieces of carbon.

Have they got dormice in Connecticut? Looks like their handiwork.
Damn little critters will get literally everywhere.

Dayton4Z2524_zpsdf213987.jpg

Dayton4Z252mufflerjunk_zps6910600c.jpg
......hope you didn't try to start it like that, lol
I always enjoy when broken piston, rings & bearing cage bits end up in the bottom of the muffler stuck in a pool of oily goo. I use my handy inspection camera to make sure I got all the death bits out. That way they when the saw rolls around in the back of a truck upside down, something harmful :crazy2::angry:doesn't jump back in the exhaust port.

What's some of your; "oh, I have to take a picture of this" or no one will believe me pics....View attachment 478056
Criteria for a perfect mud dobber nest was met?
View attachment 478057
This mud dobber nest is an option on the 1127 series Stihl?!

I've had the worse luck with mud-daubers in Coleman stove and Lanterns. Hard to get the proper air/fuel mix with wasp & spider nesting. With the lantern it's a PITA to have to swap out mantles just to find these Lil fellas left you a surprise

Back