Weird things in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weired things in trees

Found a Ships Anchor grown into the base of a Big Weeping Willow, Large C clamp in an Apple (I still have) had to split it out, Model A Axle in a stump took all the teeth off the cutting wheel when I hit it, plus all the concrete,Tar paper, rock, rebar and brick from cavity fills

I often find white river pebbles up in the crowns of cocos palms and puzzled over it. I found out from another guy I worked with that birds take them up there. They think the pebbles are eggs, and carry them up to cocos palms for a feed. When they realize they dont taste too great they leave them and fly off. Record so far for me was 10 pebbles in one cocos.

Other that that, all the usual crap. Did 4 stumps today and all the usual bricsk, rocks, lumps of steel. Found one had grown right over one of those small lay down in quarters type concrete rings for mowing. I hate stump grinding.

Shaun

I had a climber of mine gut and kill an opossum that was in a hollow log and he did not even know it.

I had a similar thing happen. Was taken down a good sized tree that was mostly dead and I had noticed a decent sized hole in the trunk but gave it no mind. It was a bucket job and the tree was kinda like in the middle of the gravel driveway. Not much under it so very easy to do. Limbed it and dropped the log. While cutting up the log , all of a sudden, I see "stuff" flying off the end of my bar. I thought the oiler went nuts or something. I was pretty much through so as the piece o wood kinda fell off there was half a raccoon laying there. It had just kept backing up in that log till he couldnt back up anymore. All the poor guy had to do was run out the end of that log but I guess it was to scared. I felt bad....but what u gonna do?

I had a squirrel do that onetime. I was in the tree and cleaning up a about a 6" stub after a pruning cut and when the stub hit the ground the squirrel bailed. How he made himself scrunch up enough to avoid my bar and chain I will never know because there was virtually no room in that hollow little stub. I also had a whole family of squirrels run off one at a time while I was bucking a tree I had dropped. I could see the first one's tail after I dropped the tree and pulled him out by the tail. Every few minutes another one would bail out of the log. I think there was like 4 in all. I was worried the whole time I was gonna kill one making a cut while the HO's wife sat there looking on...

Also had a young possum almost bite me in a maple that had been topped about 25 years earlier. The tree was rotten and hollow at the previous topping cuts and the possum was in one of the hollows. By the time I saw him he nearly had my hand in his mouth. Thank God I was tied in. Scared me so bad I would have prolly fell otherwise... Dam possum will bite a man's hand off!!!

Recently removed a fairly decent size pohutakawa (New Zealand native) up against two walls of the local backpackers, you can imagine the things we were graced with condoms were just the beging !! not fun lol

I found a bunch of baby bats in a pecan tree last month... They started screeching at me when i lowered down the limb they were on.

4 foot long King snake living in a hollow in a big limb. Didnt live long as my trimmer cut it into 3 pieces while removing the limb with a hydraulic pole saw. He didnt mean to, saw blood flying as he made the cut but it was too late by then. I hated it as I like most snakes. It's a constant battle to keep guys from killing every one they see but I dont allow it. I caught a pretty green snake today while putting in on Section 4 of the Chatooga river. Interesting day as I started out by climbing a large pine and taking it down for a friend who then showed me down the river. Made 100 bucks and a couple of seats for an inflateable kayak I own then got the benefit of her intimate knowledge of her home river. I know that'scheap but she's a good friend.

We go down the Chattooga a couple times a month. Usually section 3, but i'll paddle down section 4 when the water is low. Let me know if you want to hook up and paddle sometime.

I was Removing a leader from an oak tree yesterday it was dead and hollowed out (Carpenter Ant Damage). I was Bucking the Top side when I flipped it over with the peavy out poured a colony of Grubs some how living 40' off the Ground. First time I have ever seen then in a tree. Boy was I glad I tied into the other solid leader the walls were only 2-3" thick on 20" dia leader with rot from the base to tips.

2r3idrl.jpg

I had one of those in a Walnut last month. Thankfully it was visible.

Had a weird deal a few weeks back doing a job with a bucket. I had been flying around one side of the tree deadwooding and I kept seeing this huge Mocking Bird on a large lower limb and it was right beyond the branch union where I needed to make my cut. I kept getting closer and closer to the bird and it would not move. I had worked the whole tree and had not seen a nest so I couldn't figure out why the bird wouldn't fly. I thought it might be dead as I have found a couple of birds perched in a tree dead before. I got to within two feet of the bird and saw it blink so I knew it wasn't dead. Finally I grabbed a twig and shook the limb and the bird still wouldn't fly. I shook harder and literally had to shake the bird out of the limb to make it fly off... Weird.

I found an ancient horseshoe grown over in a crotch before... Found various old cans and bottles in hollows... City trees are the nastiest. Always seem to be infested with cock roaches and I have found hypodermic needles in a couple of them.

35' up a red pine I found a small piece of lumber with nails and some sheet metal....It was from the house that was previously on the site. That house blew up as a result of a propane leak a few years before I ended up doing tree work at the property with a new house...

Besides barbed wire nothing but mice, hornets, and angry squirrels. I saw my foreman fight a squirrel off with his hand saw once and now I always knock before I climb to let the inhabitants know they have company. Sounds like I'm missing out on the shenanigans everyone else is experiencing...

4 foot long King snake living in a hollow in a big limb. Didnt live long as my trimmer cut it into 3 pieces while removing the limb with a hydraulic pole saw. He didnt mean to, saw blood flying as he made the cut but it was too late by then. I hated it as I like most snakes. It's a constant battle to keep guys from killing every one they see but I dont allow it. I caught a pretty green snake today while putting in on Section 4 of the Chatooga river. Interesting day as I started out by climbing a large pine and taking it down for a friend who then showed me down the river. Made 100 bucks and a couple of seats for an inflateable kayak I own then got the benefit of her intimate knowledge of her home river. I know that'scheap but she's a good friend.

Section 4 is rad. Totally worth the short money on the job.

Latest posts

Back