West Ky 385/390 build off update....$$$

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mentioned building a 385, 390 and a stroker 390.

The first two saws I figured would be legal for the build off.......the stroker would just be a "exhibition" saw. Sorta like when we did the 395XPs and I ran that 3120XP........it was the fastest saw in the build off wood, but it was not part of the build off.

I mentioned building a 385, 390 and a stroker 390.

The first two saws I figured would be legal for the build off.......the stroker would just be a "exhibition" saw. Sorta like when we did the 395XPs and I ran that 3120XP........it was the fastest saw in the build off wood, but it was not part of the build off.

Do it.

I was pretty upset yesterday (y'all probably didn't even notice, lol) when I felt like I was being accused of stealing someone's ideas. The stroker crank idea was brought to me. It was not my idea at all. One of our members (and likely way more than one) is a damn good machinist. He has built some stroked cranks for other applications, but never for a chainsaw. I was trading advice, parts, and probably some cash for a full circle titanium crank with one mm more throw. After the dust up yesterday, I told him to forget the crank.

I was pretty upset yesterday (y'all probably didn't even notice, lol) when I felt like I was being accused of stealing someone's ideas. The stroker crank idea was brought to me. It was not my idea at all. One of our members (and likely way more than one) is a damn good machinist. He has built some stroked cranks for other applications, but never for a chainsaw. I was trading advice, parts, and probably some cash for a full circle titanium crank with one mm more throw. After the dust up yesterday, I told him to forget the crank.

great like I said now we all lose and we will never know what a stroker would do.

Brad, those that cheat have to live with them selves and answer for it at sometime. The cost of a stroked crank, bored/replated cylinder and finding a 2100 piston I'm sure is pricey. Is the cost worth the bragging rights? Is it worth the win? To do that and lose to a well built saw with oem bore to stroke.........priceless! Unless all saws will be inspected before running to check, or tear down the winning top three saws, it makes the build off pointless. I don't think the host or sponsor want to do that, I maybe wrong. Make sense?
Joey,I agree and disagree.
I think brad should bring a bored out saw stated as such and not be allowed to be in it for the money. same with strokers and 2 piece heads. These gtg provide everyone knowledge on what is worth it for a pay off on building a saw. maybe a smaller flywheel with a different ignition. Maybe someone figures a way to strato these saws. good info neat to see if its worth the effort but if you want to win the money you have to follow the rules.

my opi-onion

David

Wigglesworth
Four paws
Hedgerow
Barneyrb
Elect6845
MDavlee
Shorthunter
TreeMonkey
awol
Termite
Mastermind

What the heck is a Lambertized saw?

Wigglesworth
Four paws
Hedgerow
Barneyrb
Elect6845
MDavlee
Shorthunter
TreeMonkey
awol
Termite
Mastermind

What the heck is a Lambertized saw?

original and premium saw built by logging legend and hort wanker John Lambert. I am sorry to hear you don't know about johns saws. I hear he is coming out with his own hoof rasp.

I just want to apologize to anyone that took my statement as bait, it wasnt. Sorry for the confusion. My thinking dont get typed well I guess for others to understand.

I was just excited that there was others out there thinking outside of the box of the stroked crank deal that fits inside the rules of this build. I guess I just came across wrong by saying (catching up to ole Scott).

Randy I directly apologize to you and sorry you took what I typed wrong.

Also whoever gave you the idea of the stroked crank, my hats off to you whoever you are. :rock::bowdown:

Enjoy and have FUN.

Happy 4th of July. :barbecue:

Joey,I agree and disagree.
I think brad should bring a bored out saw stated as such and not be allowed to be in it for the money. same with strokers and 2 piece heads. These gtg provide everyone knowledge on what is worth it for a pay off on building a saw. maybe a smaller flywheel with a different ignition. Maybe someone figures a way to strato these saws. good info neat to see if its worth the effort but if you want to win the money you have to follow the rules.

my opi-onion

David

You make a very valid point. Good post and I value your opin-yum! You have been around this stuff longer than I, a purse is up and some rules have been set. Sure they can be manipulated , may the best person win, good luck to those participating. I may just arm wrestle Brad and randy for a stop watch position and call Kevin to keep him in the loop. Randy B please bring extra scotch. Lol

I think brad should bring a bored out saw stated as such and not be allowed to be in it for the money. same with strokers and 2 piece heads. These gtg provide everyone knowledge on what is worth it for a pay off on building a saw. maybe a smaller flywheel with a different ignition.

David
It would definitely be a cool build, but I have no intentions of building such an animal. I did once build a 2188 bored out and using a thin-ring 2100 piston. It was a great running saw, but I prefer the characteristics of a standard bore cylinder. That saw new resides in Europe.

original and premium saw built by logging legend and hort wanker John Lambert. I am sorry to hear you don't know about johns saws. I hear he is coming out with his own hoof rasp.
Aaaahhh..
Gypo..
Shoulda known..
He should bring one too, but doubt he'd make it past customs..
After suffering the anal cavity search he wouldn't feel much like running a saw anyway..

You make a very valid point. Good post and I value your opin-yum! You have been around this stuff longer than I, a purse is up and some rules have been set. Sure they can be manipulated , may the best person win, good luck to those participating. I may just arm wrestle Brad and randy for a stop watch position and call Kevin to keep him in the loop. Randy B please bring extra scotch. Lol
+1 on the scotch...
And maybe some gumbo.

Heck if a person has the coin, they could get a billet cylinder made with "perfect port timing" and combustion chamber volume. Of course the cost of digitizing, CNC time, and the billet aluminum block would be quite costly. It could even be done with a removable chamber(two piece cylinder). There is no shortage of ideas, just the lack of funds and willingness to try it.

Latest posts

Back