wet 026 lives. so now my 361 is dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the intake or exhaust side? Defo looks like a ring problem Volks-man(people-person). I really don't think it's your fault at all. That's a brand new saw, so that's the good news. I'd for sure take that oiler out and put the stocker back in. Looks to be a defect somewhere maybe a burr or ring catching/sticking on something. That's what warrentee's are for.:cheers:

Is that the intake or exhaust side? Defo looks like a ring problem Volks-man(people-person). I really don't think it's your fault at all. That's a brand new saw, so that's the good news. I'd for sure take that oiler out and put the stocker back in. Looks to be a defect somewhere maybe a burr or ring catching/sticking on something. That's what warrentee's are for.:cheers:

1: pic is from/through the exhaust port.
2: i am a man of the people!
3: will change the oiler back as needed (i got a good guy looking in to this).
4: i am already confident (not cocky though) that i did not so this to it.

thanks for the input!

Pic #4 positively shows a casting flaw in that cylinder. That's an actual pit in the aluminum. No way can that come from ring wear.

this is the reason i put the new pics up.
i love a good mystery!
if enough of us put our heads together then maybe we can figure it out (or get a headache)!
i hate using that danged search feature on AS. but if someone else ever searches for 'cylinder wear scratches ms361' they will have some reading to do. they may even find an answer.
it is all very educational here!:)

i got a guy from this site thats going to get the job (at his discretion).
i will not remove one more thing until he sees it.:)
i will try to get some pics of the damage from the other side during/after teardown (with his permission).
i will document it from here to the end if i can. the more info we post, the more is here for us to use.
again it is all very educational.:cry: but it still sucks.

Last edited:
Sweet. That was kind of Andy to warrantee your saw for you:) If it's him, I'm sure he's interested in seeing a defect like this since it's not been seen before. And we'll likely all benefit from a complete diagnosis as well, complete with pics. Now get that thing to CA!

Sweet. That was kind of Andy to warrantee your saw for you:) If it's him, I'm sure he's interested in seeing a defect like this since it's not been seen before. And we'll likely all benefit from a complete diagnosis as well, complete with pics. Now get that thing to CA!

no, not lakeside53.
too far to drive and too much to ship!!!
i would love to hang out in his shop and absorb all the info i could. alas, it will not happen.

i can't say who he/she is. it would not be right, it isn't my place to do so. if he/she wants to say who they are... thats fine by me.

I would guess its Tom, given his location.

This thread has to be somekind of joke. I thought the pistons for the 361 were forged from the hammer of Thor himself, and that the cylinders are coated with alloys handed down from Zeus on Mt Olympus...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEL6_SuQCu8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEL6_SuQCu8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

small update

now at work in pa for a week or two again.

i dropped the saw off at a well known dealer. i asked if the tech could get a few pics of the cyl and piston after teardown. hopefully will be able to shed some light on the cause of the damage. also may reveal more damage not apparent in the exhaust port pics.

i saw some neat stuff at the shop. i met some interesting people, learned some things about saw service, and found out i am sharpening my chains o.k.
basically i stood there in the way 'till they ran me out of there.:D

i can't wait to get the saw back!:D

the whole expirience has been very educational, but it still sucks.:angry:

Latest posts

Back