whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you making dyed mulch with it Matt? That's the only reason I can see that amount of water.
Ya it's dyed I just got some barrels in a few days ago. Depending on type of wood and how old it is it can take a lot of water 20-40 gallons a yard we dug a holding pond.

Wow. I never knew. Is there excess water that's recycled or does it all go into the mulch process?
It all goes in it really doesn't suck any back up. Some of the larger machines use a lot more. You pretty much have to have a natural water supply to do it. If you pay for the water you can go through 10k gallons a day it will eat up a lot of cash. In the picture you'll see the clear tank sitting on top of it that's a surge tank for if the pump can't keep up.

Abandoned the chipper and loader on a slushy mushy lawn, barely got the dump trailer of chips out without carving some canyons. It was froze this morning. I'm gonna hold off til next week when it gets colder to get the log out. It was a small uprooted spruce, the kind that would flip back up and then I would have to cut it down again. It was resting on a deck railing and with the relief cut I was able to pull the top off the deck no problem. Come back when the snow is gone to rake it up.
I often go around in the spring raking up jobs that got buried in the snow and throw some seed down. Then I went to the farm to shovel the chips into the mud ruts going to my dump site.

I was about to show up at someone's house and just start working cause its slow and I needs money, maybe work up 1200 or so, park my chipper there next, but we got a little snow and had a really decent 5 hour run which is a very short run. I was able to bill close to 10 plus the one pizza joint for 50 cash and two steak samy sams. Then picked up a couple storm damage jobs like this spruce.

It's snowing again. I just started freaking out on my wood stove, and there's a wrinkle in my right sock again today. It's definitely getting to be time for this winter BS to be over with already.

Im itching to turn it on. Had it for about a week the rotochopper guys come on Monday to put the magnet conveyor on screens in and other odds and end before it gets it maden voyage. Requires 20 gallons of diesel and 2000 gallons of water per hour.
IMG_1076_zpst3tv9xuz.jpg
What's up with the banner? lol

What's up with the banner? lol
So people know we're to go I have it parked off the side of a highway. Guys come tomorrow to see if they wanna place bulk orders they get to see it run color mulch. We're offering some deals on orders say over 10k yards. So we sent a promotion out to all the wholesale yards to come check it out.

How many crews do you have going to produce 10k yards of chips?
We get most of it off land clearing. tree crews it's hard to get that much. Most of it comes off land clearing sites. It takes almost 8-10 acres of a lot of wood to get 10k yards. During the winter I have a big bandit we take around and chip tops with for a few months. I'll put some pictures up.

Selling the mulch is the easy part it is getting and delivering the material for sure.

We started last winter chipping for some Amish loggers got like 10 davey crews dumping there plus our residential. For almost two months solid we did like 4 walking floors a day in there dumping and it's still been a challenge to get the material. Tomorrow we start some grinding I'll get a picture of our mulch pile to give some perspective what 20-25k yards of mulch look like.

We are tapped out for this year on material next year I gotta try and get a lot more down to we're we are grinding.

what I do today? Killed huge swarm of bugs on the side of the house in the morning, scoped out a couple ash trees that need to become firewood and Made futile attempts to put helicoil in spark plug hole, I have used helicoils for decades but the 10mm kit is for the birds, what a mistake, should have listened to experts here I guess it was the low cost of a set found on ebay, It will go back on ebay to some lucky bidder. The stihl dealer will get an order for new cylinder for my saw in the morning. It's sweetie pies evening though valentines and all. have good eve all

More dead oak TD's, it was a hard hot dry summer plus they are susceptible to so much when they get old and big. Lotsa firewood and a good time to work on them. Right now my dump yard is pretty full of nothing but nice thick straight oak logs and I really want to get splitting it soes I can see how nice it is. I have about 6 or 7 bedliners I have in a row with the backs higher than the front for drainage. Then wire fence staked in around them to crib everything up.

There is a ton of concrete fence posts laying in a pile down there, I am going to build a fire pit with a chimney to incinerate trash, not tree debris, trash. I figure I could build a pretty decent incinerator, the holes it the posts should work well for air-intake to keep it roaring up into a smaller "stack" to put the smoke up out of my face and help draw in more air from the bottom. I never had a burn before, its a good time to do it, I will screen the top of the stack but its pretty wet. Tv's, couches, metal tables and chairs, carpet and old tarps. Fun stuff but I will have so much more room!

More dead oak TD's, it was a hard hot dry summer plus they are susceptible to so much when they get old and big. Lotsa firewood and a good time to work on them. Right now my dump yard is pretty full of nothing but nice thick straight oak logs and I really want to get splitting it soes I can see how nice it is. I have about 6 or 7 bedliners I have in a row with the backs higher than the front for drainage. Then wire fence staked in around them to crib everything up.

There is a ton of concrete fence posts laying in a pile down there, I am going to build a fire pit with a chimney to incinerate trash, not tree debris, trash. I figure I could build a pretty decent incinerator, the holes it the posts should work well for air-intake to keep it roaring up into a smaller "stack" to put the smoke up out of my face and help draw in more air from the bottom. I never had a burn before, its a good time to do it, I will screen the top of the stack but its pretty wet. Tv's, couches, metal tables and chairs, carpet and old tarps. Fun stuff but I will have so much more room!

You are nutz,,
Can I come!
Jeff :happybanana:

How many crews do you have going to produce 10k yards of chips?
We get about 10k yards of brush chips into our yard from our crane removal crew in a year but our real yardage comes from the grinding of logs. We also let tree services/landscapers dump @45 to 60 bucks a load for a one ton dump/dump trailer. I can't even think of a way to calculate how many yards we have in our piles.. two years ago we had a contract to supply something like 15k yards to one of our big landscape contractors and we still had half our pile left after that. We make zero effort to get material and zero effort to sell. It comes in on its own and people call to order loads. Landscapers dump their load of brush and leave with a full load of mulch, they pay us on both ends! It's a vicious cycle but people keep coming.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back