whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made the mistake of putting my 660 through a laid over Radiata last year. Had the boys hose it off and was slicing it to fit the chipper cos I was too tight to pay for the tippage. 2 hours and 4 sharpens later........

If I had a big enough stump grinder I would think your plan a good one Dave.

What I did today?

I turned this.

attachment.php

Into this.

attachment.php

Of course if you don't drink enough fluids on a hot day you can end up like this. Good job the boys brought my camping chair from the truck hey.

attachment.php

Eucalyptus camaldulensis can have the longest collars. I got my leading hand to check me from the ground as well as "feeling" my way around and still they are nearly 4 inches out from the union.

attachment.php

Clients love this tree. I drove around the block and counted about 20 of the species. Guess how many were topped?

Yep. 19. And a dozen of those are the grounds of a primary school.:jawdrop:

Still it was a fun climb. :cheers:

That's kinda like your silver maple? Planted in every third yard, and a wee bit too big for a tiny lot.

Honeylocust gets collars like that, some of my clients will freak out wanting the stubs cut off, so I end up asking them where to make each final cut, until they get sick of it.

The bark is reminiscent of the Sycamore. Nice picts.

I have a theory that they both get so big in part because they can photosynthesize easily through the stems. On sycs. you can see the green in huge patches. They sycamore is often the biggest tree in whatever state it is in in the East and Midwest (I think).

Last edited:
The bark is reminiscent of the Sycamore. Nice picts.
I have a theory that they both get so big in part because they can photosynthesize easily through the stems. On sycs. you can see the green in huge patches. They sycamore is often the biggest tree in whatever state it is in in the East and Midwest (I think).

I noticed that, and other than the Sycamore doesn't get anywhere near as tall, is the wood fiber the same? I'll climb all over a sycamore, they are sweet to climb in, and very easy to manipulate when cutting.

Damm good firewood, too whenever I found a standing dead one........

Officially started a 4 day project today by dead wood pruning 3 white oaks, each about 80' tall, took some suckers out for light. Tried to pull a dead hemlock over, but didn't have enough rigging for the job. Wanted to make it an easy day, as my groundman just got back from vacation, so we're easing back into things. Worst part of the entire day though was listening to the ice cracking on the lake in the morning. Even though I didn't have to walk on it, the sound made me uneasy, and it sure was LOUD.

I noticed that, and other than the Sycamore doesn't get anywhere near as tall, is the wood fiber the same? I'll climb all over a sycamore, they are sweet to climb in, and very easy to manipulate when cutting.

Damm good firewood, too whenever I found a standing dead one........

Havent seen a sycamore (helicopter tree) since I was a kid in the north of England so it is tough for me to compare.

JPS these are probably the most common Euc here by number and yes they are too big for most yards. They have an undeserved reputation for shedding branches without warning. They do self prune, but they also give warning if you are looking/listening.

They burn pretty well TS but have "twisted" grain so make sure to split em green!

They grow fast and despite that they like waterways will grow almost anywhere in Perth at least. They are by no means the tallest Eucs here nor the fastest growing. If you will pardon the merging of genii, Corymbia citriodora is probably the largest all round Euc we see here and without question the fastest growing is Eucalyptus grandis. I dipped out on a removal of a grandis recently that I wanted to climb so bad I considered reducing my prices!!!! This tree was in excess of 30 metres with a 1.5 metres DBH. Not so big you might think but it was less than 35 years old!

not sure how many trees actually. full load of oak on that log truck and a half load of pine left for pick up tomorrow.

the crane crew rolls 4 trucks/guys deep. and we were rolling out the neighborhood at like 3:30. the log truck showed up at like 2:30. so i guess it ended up being a 5th guy on the job.

it was a good day. totally different though running the crane instead of climbing thats for sure.

Impressive job, How long did it take to be able to run the crane? Did you go to school or a class for it? Sounds like a cool day. That would have been at least 3-4 days for our 3 man crew. Cool..... Mike

second time in the seat for the most part OTJ. ive screwed around with crane in the yard a few times over the years.

i'd say i know how to run a crane just based on the simple idea that i've been working with them more or less my whole tree career. a few companies i was at didnt have them but ive worked at 4 companies that did.

dont let me fool you though with the skills. this was a simple setup with plenty of room and only a couple sheds and bushes to be aware of. cake job.

if this was a high pressure gig i would've been cutting thank you very much. lol

but yeah mike. crane really takes the sting out of the day.

What's the story on that 3rd picture OD?

The crane's holding the top/leader, but just below it there's a log in mid-air falling?

Were you cuttin and chuckin somewhere high above the pic frame?

Nice comm gear!

jomoco

Back