What a mess!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
took one look at the pix... backgrounds and said to myself... looks like wheat country!... then noted your location... SE WA! nothing quite like the beauty of gently flowing vast fields of Washington wheat... green and rolling, swaying... as far as the eye can see! :)

yep...

The "Pea and Lentil Capitol of the World." They even have a Lentil Festival in Pullman every year. Not a huge event, but fun. That is some pretty country out there. Spent 5 years there getting a 4-year degree. (I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer....)

The "Pea and Lentil Capitol of the World." They even have a Lentil Festival in Pullman every year. Not a huge event, but fun. That is some pretty country out there. Spent 5 years there getting a 4-year degree. (I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer....)

we grow peas with much success down here in growing zone 9a! currently, i have flowers and pods setting... they are chest high and still growing... I watched a documentary once about pea growing in Washington state... had no idea! thot only apples and cherries! lol ;) so... you are a WSU grad? huh... I used to live in Pullman... 4 years. in town, on A street and also out in the country on old road to Moscow... great times for a kid! loved the snow and icicles... :) my dad ran the USAF ROTC supply program for the college down in the Holland Library... I say college because it was WSC back then... and I would often stop and shoot the sh*t with Butch when they had him as the school mascot when I walked along on the sides of the football stadium walk way... ! what is ur degree area? Ag Economics?... :)

Also the richest winter wheat area in the USA. I don't know what the yeilds are now but back in the 40s/50s 60bu/acre with no fertilyzer was common, 100bu not unusual. Very bad farming practices back then, moldboard plowing and clean cultivation on those hills resulted in mass erosion every year. Now with 'no-till' and other measure it is unusual to see a mud run.

Harry K

m

> but fun.

ah, shucks! you were just prob having too much fun!! I remember all the parades, etc... football games, baseball games... archery... and snowball fights! cool times at the Holland Library cafeteria... pistachio and licorice ice cream... and hanging out at The Coug... my friend's family owned it back then... was fun to help out and make the donuts down in the basement... and fipper flop on the 10-cent slots! my pals would say, "come on Dad, give us some dimes for the slots!" and he would hand over 20 maybe 30-cents... ;) burgers for lunch, always 'on the house' tasty. my brother and I used to sneak pennies out of my mom's penny jar... and buy soft, smoothie ice cream cones! :rolleyes: perfect summer weather for a kid in the throws of growing up... :) they had a swell pool down at the park... I remember the coke machine at the entrance was 5-cents for a bottle of icy cold coke!!! then one day, waiting in line for the pool to open... noticed the price had changed to 10-cents!!! :eek:

those were the days! and you could always find a tossed out pop bottle on the way home from the pool... and cash it in at the local hole-in-the-wall stop-N Chinese grocery... and get 3-cents bottle deposit refund worth of candy... pop was 10-cents and 3-cents for the deposit... lol

sweet times, for sure... enjoyed my time in Pullman, WA! :)

You can get black powder at any gun shop that sells muzzle loaders. I have a can of FFF with my ammo in my bedroom closet for my Hawken replica.

Here's some guys splitting a big log with black powder. Why? Aside from the fun involved, I reckon it's easier to buck 2 foot wide logs than 4 footers.

Also the richest winter wheat area in the USA. I don't know what the yeilds are now but back in the 40s/50s 60bu/acre with no fertilyzer was common, 100bu not unusual. Very bad farming practices back then, moldboard plowing and clean cultivation on those hills resulted in mass erosion every year. Now with 'no-till' and other measure it is unusual to see a mud run.

Harry K

100bu? Good heavens! I wonder what the record is.

so... you are a WSU grad? huh... I used to live in Pullman... 4 years. in town, on A street and also out in the country on old road to Moscow... great times for a kid! loved the snow and icicles... :) my dad ran the USAF ROTC supply program for the college down in the Holland Library... I say college because it was WSC back then... and I would often stop and shoot the sh*t with Butch when they had him as the school mascot when I walked along on the sides of the football stadium walk way... ! what is ur degree area? Ag Economics?... :)

ah, shucks! you were just prob having too much fun!! I remember all the parades, etc... football games, baseball games... archery... and snowball fights! cool times at the Holland Library cafeteria... pistachio and licorice ice cream... and hanging out at The Coug... my friend's family owned it back then... was fun to help out and make the donuts down in the basement... and fipper flop on the 10-cent slots! my pals would say, "come on Dad, give us some dimes for the slots!" and he would hand over 20 maybe 30-cents... ;) burgers for lunch, always 'on the house' tasty. my brother and I used to sneak pennies out of my mom's penny jar... and buy soft, smoothie ice cream cones! :rolleyes: perfect summer weather for a kid in the throws of growing up... :) they had a swell pool down at the park... I remember the coke machine at the entrance was 5-cents for a bottle of icy cold coke!!! then one day, waiting in line for the pool to open... noticed the price had changed to 10-cents!!! :eek:
those were the days! and you could always find a tossed out pop bottle on the way home from the pool... and cash it in at the local hole-in-the-wall stop-N Chinese grocery... and get 3-cents bottle deposit refund worth of candy... pop was 10-cents and 3-cents for the deposit... lol
sweet times, for sure... enjoyed my time in Pullman, WA! :)

I never spent much time at all at the Coug - went in there once or twice. Didn't eat at the cafeteria either. Lived off campus most of the time down by Reaney Park.
Got my degree in Music, and met my wife there as well. Her dad was a professor and dean of the ag. engineering dept.

5 and 10 cents for a coke?? Goodness, that must have been a while ago! :p My earliest price memory is when candy jumped from 25 cents to 35 cents - mid 70s.

My favorite memories of Pullman were:
the used bookstore (Bookworm, I think it was)
Daylight Doughnuts (and their $1 bag-night)
Pizza Pipeline and their 50-cent slices. $1.50 could get you a huge slice and a big soda.
Rico's tavern had good pool tables and live music
The old movie theatre downtown that cost 99 cents for a movie, and most everyone put their penny change in the HUGE glass jar inside.
There were some good restaurants there also, but we didn't have much money for going out.
My wife used to play the Bryan Hall clock tower carillon on Christmas Eve - those bells could be heard all over town on a clear night.

at the risk of getting Modded! :eek: looks like a full-on hijack. hope OP not upset... :heart: my apologies...

yes, it was a whiles back. mid 50's... the movie house downtown was 10-cents for a feature then. This Island Earth... scifi scared the sh*t of this young kid. Forbidden Planet, too. lol... and I went to 1st, 2nd grade at old Edison, think it was just above the theater on the hill... from crossing the bridge when coming down from campus... up to main st, where theater was... on L was a smoothies ice cream stand. enjoyed the nickel smoothie cones... still prefer my ice cream that way, but make it myself... in micro wave! really! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet

Sorry - old memories are fun to bring up. Interesting to hear about Pullman 40 years before I showed up there. I don't think Harry minds - that's his stomping ground as well. Found out we even have a mutual friend. I think Harry is from the Lewiston/Clarkston area though.

Sorry - old memories are fun to bring up. Interesting to hear about Pullman 40 years before I showed up there. I don't think Harry minds - that's his stomping ground as well. Found out we even have a mutual friend. I think Harry is from the Lewiston/Clarkston area though.

you cannot love Pullman and not love, like or have traveled the ol Spiral Hiway down to Lewiston/Clarkston, ID.... down there along the snake river... that was quite a drive expecially in the good 'ol days...

also: goggle images spiral hiway Idaho

this is a cool vid! but not the Spiral Hiway your grandfathers knew. that Spiral Hiway was little more than a narrow 2-lane wagon path with some asphault tossed here n there and abouts... rough at best, rougher by any standards... bordering on even scary. plenty loose gravel. usually there was a wrecked car or two down at bottom on display... that had failed to negotiate a turn and rolled on down...

can u say drunk college kids from WSU? lol ;)

I'm near Colfax just down the highway from Pullman. For the alumni, the Cougs are doing their best, just came off a 7 game losing streak. Can you say "they Couged it"? I knew you could :). "Coug it" has become vrnacular for screwing up. Hard to believe that they have been to sveral bowl games, Rose Bowl at least once.

Party on! WSU is listed as one of the great party schools. Back in late 80s one California newspaper ranked the Colfax jail (county seat) in the top ten football teams. We had that many of the team in jail, mostly DWI but some stupidity also. Several were there for supplying a party with bonfire material - taken from a construction site.

That old spiral highway still exists, quite a few small housing developements on the lower half. Drove up it a few years ago just for the nastalgia. Noone ever thoughtt that there would be a replacement with 65mph limit. 6 and 7" grade. Some fun going down following a car that has their brake lights lit up for the entire 6 mile grade. Keep expecting to see smoke.

I may be going back to work on that mess in the morning. Pictures coming up if I do.

Harry K

I only drove the spiral highway once. Very nice drive indeed.

I was into bicycling in those days, so one fine day I parked at the bottom of the big grade, bicycled up it, and then rode back down. That was an awesome day!

"Couged it!" I almost forgot that term. :laugh: Yes, the Cougs do hold a football record in college football - they win the award for "Lowest Paid Attendance" at a football game on a nasty cold/sleety day when ONE person showed up and bought a ticket.

Now that my wife's parents moved from there to here, I doubt I'll ever get out there again. Lots of great memories there.

>"Coug it" has become vrnacular for screwing up

lol! so if one of my saws messes up, or I blow a seal on my splitter... I guess I should say, " oh Dang!, my saw (splitter) just CougedUP!" :laughing: [too funny]

been thru Colfax many times... with my Dad when he was on his way thru Spokane and on to Fairchild USAF Base.

so you are saying the old Spiral Highway is still there, but they build a new one? if so, is the original curvy road still driveable?

Harry, you just don't like boring trees. Remember, measure twice, cut once. Above all have fun and be safe.

I only drove the spiral highway once. Very nice drive indeed.

I was into bicycling in those days, so one fine day I parked at the bottom of the big grade, bicycled up it, and then rode back down. That was an awesome day!

"Couged it!" I almost forgot that term. :laugh: Yes, the Cougs do hold a football record in college football - they win the award for "Lowest Paid Attendance" at a football game on a nasty cold/sleety day when ONE person showed up and bought a ticket.

Now that my wife's parents moved from there to here, I doubt I'll ever get out there again. Lots of great memories there.

Lewiston used to sponsor a bicycle race up. Strange...or maybe not, that 'down' wasn't part of it. Haven't heard of it being done for years now.

Lewiston used to sponsor a bicycle race up. Strange...or maybe not, that 'down' wasn't part of it. Haven't heard of it being done for years now.

had thot it would be fun to skate board or belly board or no engine Kart down... I bet a kart could do some exciting 4-wheel drifts thru the curves. there is a similar trail out of Santiago Chile up to the ski resort... topside of mtn... some curves 270-degrees!! ;)

had thot it would be fun to skate board or belly board or no engine Kart down... I bet a kart could do some exciting 4-wheel drifts thru the curves. there is a similar trail out of Santiago Chile up to the ski resort... topside of mtn... some curves 270-degrees!! ;)

British Columbia could host a world class long board race. One sectionof the Coquehalla (?sp) highway (4 lane divided) is 23 miles down from the top of a mountain to the river. Grades up to 7%. Not a level spot anywhee in those 23 miles.

Too wet to drive in with equipment to cut so I decided to walk in and burn a couple brush piles. While there I got a shot of the mess from a better angle. The leaner is not resting on the tree but it may be resting on a branch from it. The leaner is the one exiting the picture at top center. I can't tell from that angle just what all that other crap is from, the heavy branch may be from the tree I want to fall. Still going to be a week or two before I start work there. Several burnt piles to clean up yet and the pickings from that will have to be hauled to a central location.

mess1_zpsvcaop79m.jpg

Couple burns.

burn1_zpscbuk1v6m.jpg

burn2_zpsikjbtfuf.jpg

Those will be the lasst ones burned until next winter. The second one was the one blocking my logging road. I can now drive anywhere in that project without getting into the crop.

Damnit! Been watching the 7 day forecast since last Friday - looked like things would be drying out Mon, Tue, Wed and continue dry through the weekend. Big plans to go to the woodpatch and get a lot of the burn pile cleanup done on Thurs. Figured it would be dry enough to drive in (I got stuck last week trying that) All weekend scattered showers but wild wind, Mon showers but too windy with chill factor down in the 20s. Tues dry and tried to work on cleanup around the wood pile. Got a little done but wind chill got to me again. Wed, fairly nice and dry put ipn two good good hours cleaning up odds and ends around the woodpile.

This morning got up and we had had a ?snow/ice/hail? shower, ground white. Figured to go to the breakfast club about 7 and leave at 8 thinking things would be dry. 8 and the white cover was still present even where the sun was hitting. Cancled the trip thinking to put in time on the woodpile., Nope not even that. Ice/frost cover was enough that the rider mower with turf tires was helpless. Just checked again at 1pm and ice still in the shade, ground "smeary".

Supposed to be a fairly hard frost again tonight so I will cancel any plans for a trip tomorrow. Maybe Saturday.

Ah well, Got a bit ambitious and cleaned out old files, confirmed one wood order for 3 cords. Hoping to be able to move wood from one stack to another, got about 3 cords yet to go so I can fix some fence.

Back