What am I doing wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
All the time I see ads on CL for people selling wood by the cord and they have a picture of a pick me up truck claiming to have a cord of wood on it. Loose tossed wood occupies 180-190 cubic feet. Yesterday it took two loads to haul 3 measured full cord, the first had over half so I estimate this to be about 1.7 cord, the trailer is 83" x 18' and the truck box is 8'.

2s67txz.jpg

dpiexs.jpg

That is fun.
Depending on size and length of splits, loose tossed is between 160 and 170 cubic feet. What I would do, if I were you, would be to go and stack up a full cord. Then, toss it into your trailer. build sides if you have to and see for yourself what it really takes. I have a truck 326 cubic feet (two cords) and have stacked the wood up several times on delivery, and have measured the results. last time I was at 2.03 cords... close, I would have prefered to be 5% over.... oh well. I try and "mound" my load a little, it looks nicer and probably is closer to that 170 than 163 cubic feet. I have NEVER been accused of delivering a short cord. My reputation is good, and I have repeat customers because of that.

That is fun.
Depending on size and length of splits, loose tossed is between 160 and 170 cubic feet. What I would do, if I were you, would be to go and stack up a full cord. Then, toss it into your trailer. build sides if you have to and see for yourself what it really takes. I have a truck 326 cubic feet (two cords) and have stacked the wood up several times on delivery, and have measured the results. last time I was at 2.03 cords... close, I would have prefered to be 5% over.... oh well. I try and "mound" my load a little, it looks nicer and probably is closer to that 170 than 163 cubic feet. I have NEVER been accused of delivering a short cord. My reputation is good, and I have repeat customers because of that.

I feel my measuring is quite accurate. Get out a tape measure, a cord is 32' of stack, two 12' stacks, three 8, or four 6' stacks.

143jort.jpg

25ryq79.jpg

I feel my measuring is quite accurate. Get out a tape measure, a cord is 32' of stack, two 12' stacks, three 8, or four 6' stacks.

143jort.jpg

25ryq79.jpg

24' = cord
2x12=24
3x8=24
4x6=24

I expect the 32' you mention is in error, and it was your intention to state 24'. :)

That is fun.
I'm all about having a good name and I do as well but I won't give extra wood just to be safe. I sell over 100 cords each year and 5% over would really start to add up.

I'm all about having a good name and I do as well but I won't give extra wood just to be safe. I sell over 100 cords each year and 5% over would really start to add up.
!!! and less then a full cord* by no fault, can spread even faster then the + or - in a load!!! in excess of 5% is cheap advertisement.

Around here a cord of wood means face cord that's how it's all sold. So a pick up truck full of loose stacked wood would be a cord I guess. Ask someone how much wood they burn and they are almost always talking about a face cords.

I traded a cord of wood for a nice chainsaw a few weeks ago.

Well.. the guy was expecting a face cord, not a cord.

As far as loading it loose in the truck, I won't do it and sell it as x cords.
I've hauled wood home loose, measured it out in the truck just for s&gs. It worked to "around" 175-200 cu ft per cord.
Too much guessing. 25 cu ft of foot is $55. Times that by 500 cords, that's ~27,000.

Stacking a cord is about an hr of work, we'll worth it. Plus the debris coming off the conveyor can get cleaned out and the wood inspected.

It's also a CYA for less than honest customers. Quite easy for someone to say, "hey that loose load was 1/4 cord short". Where when it's stacked in the truck, that's not possible.

All the time I see ads on CL for people selling wood by the cord and they have a picture of a pick me up truck claiming to have a cord of wood on it. Loose tossed wood occupies 180-190 cubic feet. Yesterday it took two loads to haul 3 measured full cord, the first had over half so I estimate this to be about 1.7 cord, the trailer is 83" x 18' and the truck box is 8'.

2s67txz.jpg

dpiexs.jpg

A cord of wood on a pickiup with racks is doable volume wise but ?weight?. I delivered two cords to a new customer yesterday loading off of measured 1 cord ricks. My truck racks ae cab high plus and inch or two. Took two full loads and less than a half load to finish. HOWEVER, that was well cured willow and my F150 was well overloaded even then.

I don't doubt there are those who would do this but have you contacted any of them asking what they mean by a cord?
i'm just a Richard head and i do it all the time to the "questionable" C/L ads. i really question the ones that have a pile that the tree service left in their yard. "2 cords. should fit in your pick-up":laughing: :wtf: all you firewood sellers need to bug these shysters.
c5 i know it is a PITA but i wood stack a cord and the throw it in your truck/trailer and take a pic of it so you know about what you need to throw on for your cord sale.

2s67txz.jpg

dpiexs.jpg

I've loaded the 8 foot bed of my truck and my 5x8 trailer and that's about a cord. That's some weight too. Loaded a 14ft dump trailer loosely and that was about a cord but that was a heavy haul for the f150. Good thing for the 4:10 years. A 8 foot box loaded is about 1.5 face cords. If you stack it in the back I'm sure you can get more but the weight will get ya.

These two pics have exactly one face cord in them. The first is a 6 x 10' trailer, the 2nd is an 8' box of a F250

insn00.jpg

140kb5y.jpg

Latest posts

Back