What animal eats dead bark off of a tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea about yr wildlife, but if you pull off some more of the bark is the trunk
marked with those same patterns ?

I suspect the marks are wood grub related from when the tree was green and growing.

No idea about yr wildlife, but if you pull off some more of the bark is the trunk
marked with those same patterns ?

I suspect the marks are wood grub related from when the tree was green and growing.

Let me take a look tomorrow, thanks Creeker

Whatever it is, it's keeping the tree between it and the house, so it may be somewhat shy. Squirrels winter on tree bark, but that would take a lot of squirrels.

Whatever it is, it's keeping the tree between it and the house, so it may be somewhat shy. Squirrels winter on tree bark, but that would take a lot of squirrels.
It is interesting you mention squirrels as I waked down this evening in the dark (head lamp on) and in the general area I saw a flying squirrel taking the bark off of an old grape vine. Our attic was inundated with them when we first moved in two years ago until the exterminator did his work.

It is interesting you mention squirrels as I waked down this evening in the dark (head lamp on) and in the general area I saw a flying squirrel taking the bark off of an old grape vine. Our attic was inundated with them when we first moved in two years ago until the exterminator did his work.
That is interesting. I've only seen one flying squirrel in my life. My coon hound treed it one night. Tiny lil creature too.

See that in Aus. also B'pile - horses/cattle/wombats in paddocks with little feed left will
strip the bark off Stringy Bark Eucalypts, some being totally ring barked for about 2 or 3 feet
from the ground up.

Never seen the wood marked quite like that but the odd wood grub here will leave marks in the wood, but
more of a wandering hieroglyphic pattern and no where near as much as that.

Considered a deer coming into hard antler & rubbing but it doesn't match any of that I have seen.

Interesting Q T68.

Horizontal marks may well be beetles. The bark was torn off vertically. The shreds on the far left are the best indication. As far up and down the stem as this is, I'd guess a bear, likely scraping bark off to get at the beetle grubs below. The claw marks aren't deep at all which suggests that the bark was already loose on the bole, a guess which is supported by the visible mycelial matting where the cambium ought to be.

In Connecticut?

Information copied from: http://www.wildlifeofct.com/index.html

"It is unclear if moose were ever native to Connecticut, but they are here now. They are rare, but the DEP has seen evidence over the last several years that a resident Connecticut moose population is being established."

"Black bears are not very common in most of Connecticut, but their population is rising rapidly. Most Connecticut bears at present live in the northwestern corner of the state. Black bears have black to brown fur and may have tan muzzles or a white spot on their chests. These are large and powerful animals with a stocky build and short thick legs. A typical Connecticut male black bear (boar) will weigh 150 to 450 lbs. Females (sows) tend to be smaller and weigh 110 to 250 lbs. They have small 3 to 5 inch tails and have large claws on their paws."

Information copied from: http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2723&depNav_GID=1655&q=326044

Connecticut Moose Facts
The first sighting of a moose cow with calves in Connecticut was reported in 2000 in Hartland. Between 2000 and 2007, at least 40 calves were born in the state (this number only includes reported sightings by the public). In addition, other moose likely were born in Connecticut or dispersed into the state from Massachusetts.

Since 2000, cows with calves have been reported in 10 different towns (Hartland, New Hartford, Granby, Colebrook, Goshen, Barkhamsted, Union, Winchester, Eastford, and Enfield).

Over the past 17 years, moose sightings increased from an average of 4 per year in the mid-1990s to 69 in 2007.

Based on sightings by the public and deer hunters from 2000 to 2004, Connecticut’s moose population in 2004 was estimated at 63. Without any population management, it will increase 15% in 1 year and 91% in 5 years.

Young moose that disperse into new territories during spring have been documented to travel 5-10 miles per day, sometimes traveling as far as 100 miles over a 5-week period, passing through a dozen towns.

Information copied from: http://www.wildlifeofct.com/index.html

"It is unclear if moose were ever native to Connecticut, but they are here now. They are rare, but the DEP has seen evidence over the last several years that a resident Connecticut moose population is being established."

"Black bears are not very common in most of Connecticut, but their population is rising rapidly. Most Connecticut bears at present live in the northwestern corner of the state. Black bears have black to brown fur and may have tan muzzles or a white spot on their chests. These are large and powerful animals with a stocky build and short thick legs. A typical Connecticut male black bear (boar) will weigh 150 to 450 lbs. Females (sows) tend to be smaller and weigh 110 to 250 lbs. They have small 3 to 5 inch tails and have large claws on their paws."

Information copied from: http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2723&depNav_GID=1655&q=326044

Connecticut Moose Facts
The first sighting of a moose cow with calves in Connecticut was reported in 2000 in Hartland. Between 2000 and 2007, at least 40 calves were born in the state (this number only includes reported sightings by the public). In addition, other moose likely were born in Connecticut or dispersed into the state from Massachusetts.

Since 2000, cows with calves have been reported in 10 different towns (Hartland, New Hartford, Granby, Colebrook, Goshen, Barkhamsted, Union, Winchester, Eastford, and Enfield).

Over the past 17 years, moose sightings increased from an average of 4 per year in the mid-1990s to 69 in 2007.

Based on sightings by the public and deer hunters from 2000 to 2004, Connecticut’s moose population in 2004 was estimated at 63. Without any population management, it will increase 15% in 1 year and 91% in 5 years.

Young moose that disperse into new territories during spring have been documented to travel 5-10 miles per day, sometimes traveling as far as 100 miles over a 5-week period, passing through a dozen towns.
I never would've imagined. Course, a few years ago I never imagined we'd have armadillos in TN, but, here we are.

Is the bark piled on the ground under the tree or is it gone?

I'm thinking Pileated woodpecker after grubs if the bark is scattered under the tree.

Look close where the bark isn't missing and you can see holes where he probed for grubs.

I never would've imagined. Course, a few years ago I never imagined we'd have armadillos in TN, but, here we are.
Same here in SE Oklahoma. It was a rare sighting in the 60's. By the 90's they were so thick, they'd be out in daylight hours. My 160 acres was inundated with them. Determined to put a stop to them using my Polaris 4x4, a Winchester single shot .410 gauge shotgun. Day One was an education for me. Day two I killed 14 armadillos. Day 3 about half that. After that first week, about 1 or 2 a week until they quit showing up.

Latest posts

Back