What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing fancy.. just a cot for new daughter born last month.. ;)

Bluegum eucalyptus, hard and heavy ( a bit above white oak ). Pretty much escape proof ;)

attachment.php

Cheers

Ian

Great work all the way around, fellers!

Here's a workbench I made from timber I milled and resawn recycled dunnage.

I still need to face the drawers but that got bumped down the list.

attachment.php

Here is a workbench I made. The only timber I milled myself was all of the Redgum in the legs and vice jaw.

Here is a hilarious video of me milling it with an electric chainsaw.....that broke after cutting 5 boards.:bang:

I have got myself a 076 to do the milling now once I have finished rebuilding it here.

:laugh: :laugh:

Cool vid!

Clicked on the links... says they are FORBIDDEN!:jawdrop: Just what are they pictures of, Stony?:)

:ices_rofl: , they were links to pictures on my website. Maybe the higher powers thought I was trying to sell something, not sure really. It is just furniture pics, commissioned work, not trying to sell anything:D . I suppose its cause it was my website. Hopefully you can see the tiny pics I posted after that.

:ices_rofl: , they were links to pictures on my website. Maybe the higher powers thought I was trying to sell something, not sure really. It is just furniture pics, commissioned work, not trying to sell anything:D . I suppose its cause it was my website. Hopefully you can see the tiny pics I posted after that.

Suuurrre they are, Stony.:)

I zoomed in on the tiny pics. Nice work!

not sure what dunnage is. What I can't figure out is why a 2nd thread with the same name as the one I started was created? Gets a little confusing:confused: :dizzy: :monkey:

Suuurrre they are, Stony.:)

I zoomed in on the tiny pics. Nice work!

thanks. I finished spraying the table, well actually its a desk, a little while ago. I'll try to get some good pics of it with the distressed milkpaint base, and that gorgeous birch top.

I use the timber for the bellows, fittings drone stocks and many more, in the pictures are bellows made from Burr Elm, Laburnham, Walnut, Mountain Ash
fittings from Holly, English Boxwood and stocks from Apple,

When you say Mountian ash do you mean Rowan? I only ask becuase I've been offered lots of it before and didn't think it was useful. how does it work if so?

Nice pictures everyone by the way, its good to see that people use some of the stuff they mill.
T

When you say Mountian ash do you mean Rowan? I only ask becuase I've been offered lots of it before and didn't think it was useful. how does it work if so?

Yes its what is also called Rowan, it has the most wonderful creamy colour and nice wide grain pattern, I would use lots more of it if it was available in wider boards.

I posted some of these in a different thread, but here's pictures of some projects I've made recently.

Very cool. Nakashima is one of the few modern designers that I like. Very tastefull pieces. If you were on this side of the country, a friend of mine would buy every piece you make for his modern furniture store. Nice work!

As was said before many times by me and others here... there is a LOT of talent on this forum. From furniture to fine musical instruments. But then that makes sense, as most of us are not the couch potatoe type, or we wouldn't be out in the woods milling lumber in the first place. Like Gene Dinardo, I can't retire from my day job for another 7 years, so my woodshop business is a sidekick for now. It just makes me enough money to buy more toys for the shop at this point. (ShopBot CNC router is in my sights although a bit hard to see being so far away at this point). Almost every finished piece that comes from my woodshop started from wood I milled with my csm and Ripsaw over the years.

Here are just a few of the things I sell at shows, mostly small gift type items, but I have moved into some small traditional furniture like the Shaker side table first pic.
shaker1.jpg

crackerbig.jpg

onesmall.jpg

twosmall.jpg

threesmall.jpg

no job to retire from

nice woodshop, Unlike you and many others, this is my job. It started as a side job, and became my only job. There is no job to retire from. My grandfather always told me I could make a living from the small workshop he left me when I bought his house. After working for a few real bad bosses, thats a few other storys, I quit . Had enough. I just wasn't built to work for anyone. So here I am. I'll have a few more pics in a few hours. :rock:

nice woodshop, Unlike you and many others, this is my job. It started as a side job, and became my only job. There is no job to retire from. My grandfather always told me I could make a living from the small workshop he left me when I bought his house. After working for a few real bad bosses, thats a few other storys, I quit . Had enough. I just wasn't built to work for anyone. So here I am. I'll have a few more pics in a few hours. :rock:

Think of it this way Stony... you are a good 15 years ahead of me (us) having your own woodshop business full time already. I can't concentrate on this fully till I'm 60. No fun going to work every day when you'd rather be in your woodshop.

Think of it this way Stony... you are a good 15 years ahead of me (us) having your own woodshop business full time already. I can't concentrate on this fully till I'm 60. No fun going to work every day when you'd rather be in your woodshop.

part of my decision making process was my mentor in all this, my grandfather. After he retired he worked full time finally in his shop. After 5 years of living his dream, he could no longer for health reasons live in upstate NY and had to move to fla. He died a few years later. That helped me decide to make the move young. At 35 I was working for myself. By the time I was 38 the business was full bore. I'll be 40 this year and fully enjoy everyday of my life.

Latest posts

Back