What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
birch desk

all from wood milled on my land. Pine legs and aprons, to keep cost down, per buyers request. Yellow birch top. All milled with a stihl 031. Milkpaint base, lightly distressed. Catalized laquer topcoat on all.

th_DSCF0616.jpg

th_DSCF0617.jpg

th_DSCF0618.jpg

all from wood milled on my land. Pine legs and aprons, to keep cost down, per buyers request. Yellow birch top. All milled with a stihl 031. Milkpaint base, lightly distressed. Catalized laquer topcoat on all.

th_DSCF0616.jpg

th_DSCF0617.jpg

th_DSCF0618.jpg

Nice piece stonykill! I love all of the woodworking pictures that have been posted in here lately. A lot of talent here indeed!

Nice little rocker dusty, did you cane that yourself too? If you did, curious how long it took you to do (cane the seat). Thought about maybe adding a little rocker like that to go with a small antique childs chair I make, but thought a cane seat would make it too time intensive. In a small non-production shop like mine, there are some labor intensive things you just can't get your money out of if selling the piece. Doing so would price it out of all but high end niche markets or maybe a juried show.

nice rocker dusty. I occasionally do rush seats. Easy, but labor intense. I never tried caning, other than press cane. Thats the easy way to do it.

Nice little rocker dusty, did you cane that yourself too? If you did, curious how long it took you to do (cane the seat). Thought about maybe adding a little rocker like that to go with a small antique childs chair I make, but thought a cane seat would make it too time intensive. In a small non-production shop like mine, there are some labor intensive things you just can't get your money out of if selling the piece. Doing so would price it out of all but high end niche markets or maybe a juried show.

Thanks Woodshop, Yes I did the seat too. It is weaved with 1/4 inch half oval reed in a herringbone pattern. This is only my second herringbone weave so Im still slow at it. A standard basket weave with 1/4 material I could do in 4-5 hrs without breaks. I really love to turn wood but I think that the seats in these chairs are what I am most proud of. Unfortunately this is the only one that I managed to get pictures of.

BTW Woodshop, I would like to see a pic or two of your child-size chair if you have any. Im always looking for ideas and this site has given me many. Thanks to everyone for all of the cool pictures! P.S. Have you tried your hand at the oven rack tool yet Woodshop?

nice rocker dusty. I occasionally do rush seats. Easy, but labor intense. I never tried caning, other than press cane. Thats the easy way to do it.

Thank you. I have an antique chair that was a potty-chair that was used by my great-great grandmother. Several years after her death my grandfather took off the potty attachment piece and used a piece of the pre-weaved cane to cover the hole in the seat. My mother gave me the seat a few years back. The caning was destroyed and it seems like the press in edging is glued in. Gonna try to fix it when time permits if I can figure out a way to get the old out without destroying the wood. Any ideas?

Thank you. I have an antique chair that was a potty-chair that was used by my great-great grandmother. Several years after her death my grandfather took off the potty attachment piece and used a piece of the pre-weaved cane to cover the hole in the seat. My mother gave me the seat a few years back. The caning was destroyed and it seems like the press in edging is glued in. Gonna try to fix it when time permits if I can figure out a way to get the old out without destroying the wood. Any ideas?

If the binding was glued in correctly, it was only glued on the bottom. In which case just custom grind a screwdriver to the appropriate edge, and tap and pry. It will pop right out. If the entire binding was glued in, its a little trickier. You 1st need to take a sheetrock knife and gently cut all around the edges of the binding, to cut any glue. The use the above stated technique. Go SLOW, as its real easy to pull wood you don't want too if the binding wasn't orriginally glued in right.

I worked in a refinishing shop for a # of years and did many of these. Its a pita if it was glued in poorly. Good luck and take your time :D :rockn:

Ill give it a shot and see what happens. Ill try to post some pictures of this old chair in the near future. Thanks for the help.

no problem. I have done all kinds of things with old potty chairs. Even make one into a rocker for a customer as a joke on his brother. We put one on the side of a building I used to work at, and put santa on it at xmas time. :D

BTW Woodshop, I would like to see a pic or two of your child-size chair if you have any. Im always looking for ideas and this site has given me many. Thanks to everyone for all of the cool pictures! P.S. Have you tried your hand at the oven rack tool yet Woodshop?

Alas Dusty, no I have not gotten around to adding the oven rack tool to my (very) slowly growing list of items. Thanks for reminding me though, because I need a few small lower cost "couple dollar" items like that to go along with some of my higher priced stuff especially at "low end" shows where that kind of thing sells better. I saw a plan to make a simple pair of toaster tongs (to get bagels and smaller toast out of the toaster) that I think would fit that niche also. I am still in the process of making that antique childs chair I mentioned. Will post pics of it on this forum when completed. That will be weeks down the road though at least. It is early American, and would go well in a living room setting next to a fireplace.

To many things to do in my shop, not enough time to do them at this point.

Combo2006s.jpg All the stuff in the composite photo was made by me during 2006. The wooden bits were made from logs from my woodpile or small logs scavenged from kerbside garbage, and the odd small log collected from an arborist aquaintance. I even planted one of the gum trees 27 years ago at home and had it cut down, then I milled into into usable bits. Most of the logs were "Hacked" using a 16" bar chainsaw into pieces small enough to put through my 12" table saw and turned into what you see. Yep - I did most of the metal work as well. I hope you like them. With my new mill and CS I hope I can get onto some "bigger" projects.
Cheers

Last edited:
You're pretty handy Bobl from Perth. Just goes to show that you can get some very nice pieces of wood from scraps, cuttoffs and logging debris left behind. You don't need to mill 36 inch dia logs to get lumber. Curious how you make your threaded wooden rod for those wooden clamps for example. Do you by any chance use a Bealle wood threader as I do?

All I can say is WOW to all of you who posted here. I have always loved wood working but have never takend the jump to spend the money or time to do it. Someday I hope. Anyway nice work everyone, keep on postin. :bowdown:

Here's a hutch i built from an blk. oak i harvested from my woodlot...

The top is "solid" and "quartersawn", and the drawers are dovetailed with book matched fiddle back fronts... The raised panels are also solid and quartersawn...

Sorry, i don't have a better pict. at this time...

Rob

standard.jpg

Back