What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics guys! Keep 'em coming!

I keep forgeting to get pics of my other computer.:bang: I'll get some up soon.

Last edited:
Here's a hutch i built from an blk. oak i harvested from my woodlot...

The top is "solid" and "quartersawn", and the drawers are dovetailed with book matched fiddle back fronts... The raised panels are also solid and quartersawn...

Sorry, i don't have a better pict. at this time...

Rob

standard.jpg

Beautiful hutch Sawyer Rob. Oak just can't be beat for some things. I love how you took the time to match the grain.

I hooked another on milling!!

Here's a hutch i built from an blk. oak i harvested from my woodlot...

The top is "solid" and "quartersawn", and the drawers are dovetailed with book matched fiddle back fronts... The raised panels are also solid and quartersawn...

Sorry, i don't have a better pict. at this time...

Rob

standard.jpg

nice work Rob. My customer who ordered the birch top desk I have pictured picked it up yesterday. He loved it. We got talking, for over an hour. He wanted to see milled boards not yet planed. I showed him some. Then he wanted to see my mills. It turns out he is a hobby woodworker. Before he left he said " Thats it, I'm hooked on milling" . I gave him a lot of info to google, including this site. Looks like I put the fever in a potential :newbie: .:hmm3grin2orange: :rock:

nice work Rob. My customer who ordered the birch top desk I have pictured picked it up yesterday. He loved it. We got talking, for over an hour. He wanted to see milled boards not yet planed. I showed him some. Then he wanted to see my mills. It turns out he is a hobby woodworker. Before he left he said " Thats it, I'm hooked on milling" . I gave him a lot of info to google, including this site. Looks like I put the fever in a potential :newbie: .:hmm3grin2orange: :rock:

That gives a new meaning to "spreadin' it around". :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks guys, i've built a lot of futniture and cabinets over the years, but i didn't keep much of anything for myself...

Rob

finished tv cabinet

here are a few pics of the tv cabinet finished. Its birch, custom mixed stain to match existing furnishings, 3 coats of dull catalized lacquer. To reiterate, its built from a birch tree I knocked down on my land. All of that birch tree was milled with a 48cc stihl 031. I just measured the stump from that tree, it was 22 inches in diameter.

th_DSCF0633.jpg

th_DSCF0631.jpg

thanks to all who posted pics, and keep them coming!!!!!

:popcorn:

Nice TV cabinet... does it have those pricey pocket doors that slide back into the cabinet or didn't they want to go that route.

Nice TV cabinet... does it have those pricey pocket doors that slide back into the cabinet or didn't they want to go that route.

thanks. We discussed that as an option however they would have made the cabinet deeper than the space allowed. These fold back over each other, to either side of the cabinet. For the space this is going in, the depth was the biggest concern, width wasn't as important.

Nobody has been busy in their woodshops since April when Stony finished his TV cabinet???

My latest addition below to items I make and sell at a few local shows from the lumber you see me milling in past posts. I found this relatively simple design and modified it. The original had the same goose neck but much larger board area below it. Mostly for the purposes of economy of scale, I downsized the board area a little to make it slightly easier to produce, use a little less lumber and thus bring the cost down. In my experience, I will sell more of them this way. I still have plans to make the full sized one, but that is on the back burner for now. I spent a good two weeks designing and building the six jigs to make these. I start with a 7/8 thick S4S piece exactly 7 3/4 x 13 1/2 and go from there. Believe it or not, the most complicated jig is the one used to rout that small separation line between the body and the head of the goose. It was the most difficult and took the most time to design, but it is critical that the line be routed dead on exact or the whole board becomes a piece of firewood. For those interested, I included a pic of that separation line jig. If I make a run of at least 10 at a time, I can get production down to about 35 minutes per. That's soup to nuts though, from stickered dry boards from the Ripsaw to finished sanded goose board rubbed with walnut or sunflower oil. I will sell them for $17.

gooseneck.jpg

goosejig.jpg

Nice job Woodshop! Work hasnt permitted me to do anything in the shop at all this year. Ive been driving back and forth to Louisville since the last part of August 06. Thats 216 miles a day commute on top of a 9-10 hr. work day. Hopefully when things slow down a bit Ill be out there making a little dust again. Thanks for the pic.:greenchainsaw:

been sooo busy

nice job woodshop. Summer is my busiest time of year, pretty insane at times. Between the normal summer stuff, garden, yard, my business,Clearing a section of land for a new workshop, not much time to post pics. I have some hemlock and pine ready to mill for the new building, but haven't started the milling yet. I have mainly been milling antique heart pine, resawing thick boards and beams. No time to post pics tonite, huge t storm heading this way now. I'll post a few pics soon.

Here are a few pic's of what I've been doing with what I've milled. It's not as exquisite as what you guy's are doing, but it'll work.

Andy

Exquisite is not the right word... that kind of work has its own finesse. I've done it, and in many ways it's a lot harder than making a fine piece of furniture in a woodshop. Nice job so far, it looks like you've done this before. Either that or you are good at reading books and gleaning the right information from them.

No real wood projects myself, unfortunately. Between work and remodeling the house, time is in severe shortage. I've had the bug to put it all down for a day and get some milling in but today was our first rainless day in weeks. If it holds I might get a "fix" around the end of the week.

I have been using my own milled woods for making musical instruments, here at Bagpipeworks we made our first Roller-Matic mill about fifteen years ago for harvesting the many native timbers like Holly, Laburnham, plumb etc, that were unavailable over the counter.

I use the timber for the bellows, fittings drone stocks and many more, in the pictures are bellows made from Burr Elm, Laburnham, Walnut, Mountain Ash
fittings from Holly, English Boxwood and stocks from Apple, I use everything that I can get hold of, instead of using the exotics, I stain the holly black to resemble Ebony.

Irish or Uilleann Bagpipes are the instruments I make.

Rail, I just noticed your post hiding back in april....I'm a musician as well; I'm actually a sax player; baritone and tenor. My musical interests vary wildly, and in the last several years have included what we call "old time" on this side of the pond, which loosely is the ancestor-roots of traditional appalachian music, err traditional scottish, welsh, and irish music that was transplanted to the mountains of the eastern US. I got to play with an Uilleann piper a month or so ago. WOW!!!!! And I thought a sax was a complicated instrument. Not only do you have to pump the bellows and maintain pressure on the bag, you have to use both sets of fingers, and the heel of your hand to work (sorry if I'm using improper terminology here, I don't know the specifics) the "drone" keys. Very impressive instrument, and a truly ethereal tone that is unmistakable. I also saw an american singer, Bonnie Rideout, with an incredible scottish Uilleann piper with her. I was transfixed, to say the least. My hat is off to you, sir. Instrument craftsmen are a dying breed.

Exquisite is not the right word... that kind of work has its own finesse. I've done it, and in many ways it's a lot harder than making a fine piece of furniture in a woodshop. Nice job so far, it looks like you've done this before. Either that or you are good at reading books and gleaning the right information from them.

I've done this kind of thing a time or two.;) I grew up in a wood shop too, my Dad had a little shop (10,000 sq. ft.)in the Dallas area and supplied a major distributer with wood work. I had a little shop in NM in the 90's but sold it. I haven't done much woodwork since, but I'm getting the itch again. I have to get me a new shop built.

Andy

Back