What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the compliments on the table. And yes my wife picked out the rug... She's also put in an order for benches or some other type of seating that goes with the table better. That will have to wait for other projects in the queue, but I have some other wood I milled that will work for that. (If I don't use it for something else first... :))

Excellent table, you've got a great back story to go with it. Should be something the grand-kids talk about for generations.

Here is another project I did. Yellow cedar construction with red cedar shingles cut on the band mill.

P1020477.jpg P1020479.jpg P1010292.jpg P1010296.jpg

Beautiful.
I envy you guys that have a variety of woods to cut up and use. I almost cry with some of the wood I see going for firewood or chips when I travel. All I have available here is Sitka spruce, hemlock, yellow cedar, a smattering of western red cedar, and red alder.
I did about choke yesterday when I saw an add on Craig's List for 3 yellow cedar boards for $300 though.

IMG_0495.JPG IMG_0499.JPG IMG_0500.JPG This is my first project this large. Its a bar top for a friend of mine made out of cedar I milled a few years back. The final dimensions were 12'x30"x2.5". I learned a few things that I'll do diferent next time but it was alot of fun.

I have been working on a coffee table.
Second coat of wet polyurethane.
20140505_131116.jpg

Hard to get a decent photo in the shop but here is a close up.
20140505_131146.jpg

I have enough satin finish for one more coat before I open another can, I may consider something more glossy, any recommendations.
I want to add depth and build it up some.
Chad

There are some realy nice projects on here! How are Ya'll cutting in your butterflys? Are they shalloy inlays or full depth. The ones I used down the middel of my bar top are full depth for structural suport. They were a pain in the butt, it took close to an hour per joint using a pilot hole, then jig saw, and then a chisel for the final fit. Any sugestions for an easier way?

Thanks
Chad "FB"

Waterlox is great for popping the figure and giving great protection. I highly recommend it for figured wood!

I ran a board thru the planer so I would have uniform size.
Then I cut them out on the band saw, cleaned them up with the sander, traced around them in position.
I set the router about 1/32 shallower than the thickness of the butterfly.
Hogg out near the line with the router and clean up with a chisel.
Fit and trim them, glue up and clamp in place.
I went a little over 1/2 thickness and they seem to hold fine.
If you want more strength I would put some on the back side too if you think You need it.
This is my first attempt and I would say it took me about 30 min or so each all things included.
I did two or three at a time the smaller ones were faster.
Chad

Chad "FB"
You might consider an inlay bushing set (http://www.rockler.com/inlay-bushing-and-bit-with-removable-collar), with this set up most any shape is possible to inlay perfectly.
For' butterflies' , since they are usually structural a rule of thumb I use is a minimum 1/3 board thickness with the grain running from 'head to tail' on the butterfly. With the 1/8" bit in the router for the template jig I take many passes to achieve my depth, usually I use a larger bit to hog out the centers. You will need to clean up any corners by hand but a sharp chisel takes care of that.
If I have to do just one 'butterfly', I might whack it out by hand, two or more and out comes the router.
G Vavra

Chad "FB"
You might consider an inlay bushing set (http://www.rockler.com/inlay-bushing-and-bit-with-removable-collar), with this set up most any shape is possible to inlay perfectly.
For' butterflies' , since they are usually structural a rule of thumb I use is a minimum 1/3 board thickness with the grain running from 'head to tail' on the butterfly. With the 1/8" bit in the router for the template jig I take many passes to achieve my depth, usually I use a larger bit to hog out the centers. You will need to clean up any corners by hand but a sharp chisel takes care of that.
If I have to do just one 'butterfly', I might whack it out by hand, two or more and out comes the router.
G Vavra
I have an inlay jig and bushing kit but I didn't think a .5" inlay would be thick enough so I cut them full thickness. I need to build a jig that will accommodate larger bits and deeper cuts.

I did not start on the jig because mine are all different sizes.
I would have to make a jig for each one. not sure if I would save much time that way.
Nice table legs I had an idea to daisy chain a set of legs with branch connecting each leg for a brace.
I cut some pine the other day and near the top I cut some at about 24" and left a 1.5" or so branch sticking out about 4" from the end.
If it works out I will be able to drill a hole in the next leg and thread the branch into the hole and fasten with a wedge.
Not so sure how it will work out but going to give it a try.
Chad

Absolutely! . . . The nearest town is Tappahannock. 45 miles east of Richmond and 45 miles south of Fredericksburg. Where are you in MD ?
Call me if you are coming by.
Oh and . . .
Bring a hammer ! ;)
Andy
804-76one-057four

Thanks Andy. That's down the road a bit. I'm in Frederick, MD. If I could find a model 99 Savage for sale down that way it would make the trip a bonus. I put your number in my cell, if I get a chance I'll call ahead to set something up. Thanks again, Joe.

Latest posts

Back