What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
present for my lady

Here's a couple pics of a present for my girlfriend; she started playing mandolin & remarked longingly on a music stand we saw for sale recently. This one is nicer. Go easy on me; this is my first real woodworking project; i.e. from roughmilled wood to finished product, and the first project with wood I've milled myself. Its hard to tell in the pic, but the sapwood on the base pedestal is also curly. I chose the most highly figured pieces from a black walnut I milled last summer for this piece. Its finished with a boiled linseed oil finish, and covered with a couple coats of paste wax for shine. I can see in the pics where I have a buildup of dust around one of the feet that I need to blow off before giving it to her.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice... hope she appreciates the labor of love that obviously went into it. I can see the figure in that walnut, shows off nice. I found that people that have no idea what figure is, see it and like it and recognise it as something special. The icing on the cake is that you can tell people that you did it from scratch, INCLUDING making the lumber that went into it. Relatively few woodworkers can make that claim these days.

Last edited:
Excellent work on this post

Here's a peice I made for my dad last X-mas. Plenty of room for medications, magazines, remotes, dishes, Kleenex, etc. Constructed from boards that came from an 80 ft, 30" diameter spruce, no knots until about 25ft up the trunk. Knotty wood for the table top, just for character.

Here's a piece I made for my dad last X-mas. Plenty of room for medications, magazines, remotes, dishes, Kleenex, etc. Constructed from boards that came from an 80 ft, 30" diameter spruce, no knots until about 25ft up the trunk. Knotty wood for the table top, just for character.

Very nice treetom, tell us a little more about that table top raising apparatus. Where did you get it, and about what did it cost? What was the height of your piece before top is raised, and what is height after raising. Did you use poplar for the drawer bottoms and sides?

Here's a peice I made for my dad last X-mas. Plenty of room for medications, magazines, remotes, dishes, Kleenex, etc. Constructed from boards that came from an 80 ft, 30" diameter spruce, no knots until about 25ft up the trunk. Knotty wood for the table top, just for character.

That is very nice, its amazing what you guys can do from scratch, it seems I have trouble assmebling the cheap desks you buy from wal mart :( I guess I just haven't put any time into it. Nice work all!!:rock:

You guys are doing some nice work there!! Thanks for the pictures!

I figured i'd post a pict of one of the clocks i built. I've built quite a few of them over the years, and this one is out of cherry.

I got the log from a friend (100 miles away) who hired a guy to saw down some tree's in his yard. The guy was sawing them up for firewood. Then there was a dispute over the money, and the guy that cut them down, refused to remove the cherry... I never knew any of the story untill some time later when his sister mentioned it to me...

Anyway, i drove there with my pu and cainsaw, and sawed the log out and winched it into my pu, and brought it home!

Rob

standard.jpg

Very nice! Great use of the top lift hardware. The only thing I've seen that used for is coffee tables.

Thanks for your comments. The table top is 27" x48". 19" tall when the mechanism is folded, unfolded = 26". The table top also comes forward 16" from the edge of the table in the unfolded position. It can be loaded down with books, beverages and other heavy objects and is still stable. The drawers are made from 1/2" birch plywood, as I recall. Currently the Pop Up Table Mechanism is $135.00 at Rockler Woodworking and Hardware:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2318&filter=convertible table hardware

millshed from stormdamaged trees

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and have a little to add in an effort to keep it going.

I decided I needed a place to store the mill when it's not being used and a place to stack a little wood to air dry. All the wood used was cut from storm damaged pines a couple of years ago (Hurricane Rita). I had the posts creosote treated, the rest was air dried. Some was cut with a csm/ripsaw but most was with the little Logmaster mill.

P1001344.jpg

I'm not planning on using it to saw under but did leave a 16' opening on one side (just in case). Mostly I just glad to have a roof up, those august temp's were almost too much to handle.

Next, milling board-n-bat to trim it out with and a few 2x's for bracing.

More to come...

Nice work flht01... couple questions... ('cause I might be doing something similar soon)... what is your roof made of? Is that plastic composite maybe to let light in? Also, how far down into the soil are those posts, and what kind of soil is it there. Sandy or clay or just a good mix of dirt/rocks? Also curious how much did it cost to have them creosoted down there in Texas?

thanks
Dave

Very nice shed! I hope to build my barn in the coming spring. Im gonna build a shed off to one side for lumber storage. I just posted in another thread some pictures of a small shed for drying lumber that I will convert into something else when I get the barn done. Nice job.

Thanks to all for the compliments.

Nice work flht01... couple questions... ('cause I might be doing something similar soon)... what is your roof made of?

I spaced the framing on 4 ft centers and used 2x4's for lathing to help with the spans. For the roofing I used 26 ga R Panel Galvalume, also to help with the spans. I've been all over the roof and didn't notice any problems with dents or saging.

Is that plastic composite maybe to let light in?

My original thoughts was to leave the gap between the center run and the two sides to help let more light in. If blowing rain doesn't present a problem I'll probably leave it this way, I don't have any plans to run electricity (yet). So far, several rainstorms and everything stays as dry as can be expected with an open barn. I'd probably drop the roofline a little if I had it to do over, the center run has about 14 ft headroom and the two side has about 9 ft.

Also, how far down into the soil are those posts, and what kind of soil is it there. Sandy or clay or just a good mix of dirt/rocks?

The first foot or so is sandy, then turns to red clay. The posts are about 30 inches deep. I poured a small pad of concrete in the bottom of each hole and let it dry. I set the posts on top of the concrete pads and used concrete to fill the majority of the hole in an effort to keep as much moisture off the post as possible.

Also curious how much did it cost to have them creosoted down there in Texas?

thanks
Dave

Creosote treating was $400 per thousand board feet. Total cost for the barn poles was $210 and I had several leftover. Using 26 gage on the roofing was probably a little overkill, but baring any more hurricanes I shouldn't have to replace it anytime soon. Total investment so far is about $1,400 for 35 ft (each way) under roof. Most of the costs was roofing material.

I'm not much of a woodworker but this is a bluebird box I made last year from some cedar that my grandfather-in-law milled before he died. I made one for the MIL too. I have some cedar stain to put on it to bring back some of the color that the sun bleached out of it this summer. I'll clean it out this winter and seal it with something like Thompson's after I stain it. --Ian

Birdhouse.jpg

.......Creosote treating was $400 per thousand board feet. Total cost for the barn poles was $210 and I had several leftover. Using 26 gage on the roofing was probably a little overkill, but baring any more hurricanes I shouldn't have to replace it anytime soon. Total investment so far is about $1,400 for 35 ft (each way) under roof. Most of the costs was roofing material.

THANKS for all the details. I am thinking of a pole barn on my Dad's property to store my milled wood, something similar to yours, but sided with T-111 or something similar. I know for a fact I can't get creosote treatment that cheap around here. Yes I have been told that the roofing materials will be my biggest expense.

Latest posts

Back