What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey daninvan what material did you use for your shade? That's a big lamp!, I like it. Thanks n8

Nato, I used a handmade Japanese paper called ginwashi. It has little flecks about a half inch long in it. It's quite white, hopefully it will not fade over time. I bought it at a local store called Paper-ya that sells arty Japanese stuff including paper. (Website paper-ya.com) It was about $5 a sheet, pretty reasonable I thought. The lamp took two sheets.

There are also US companies on line that sell Japanese paper, eshoji.com is one I have heard of, but have never used.

Nato, I used a handmade Japanese paper called ginwashi. It has little flecks about a half inch long in it. It's quite white, hopefully it will not fade over time. I bought it at a local store called Paper-ya that sells arty Japanese stuff including paper. (Website paper-ya.com) It was about $5 a sheet, pretty reasonable I thought. The lamp took two sheets.

There are also US companies on line that sell Japanese paper, eshoji.com is one I have heard of, but have never used.
Thanks daninvan. I'll check it out.

Thanks daninvan. I'll check it out.

Sorry Nato, I have to correct my previous post.

I bought two papers, Ginwashi Tissue ($5/sheet), and Iwami White ($7/sheet).

I only used one type but now I am not sure which is which!

Sorry Nato, I have to correct my previous post.

I bought two papers, Ginwashi Tissue ($5/sheet), and Iwami White ($7/sheet).

I only used one type but now I am not sure which is which!
Lol! Yes I suffer from that too. I thought your shade looked like paper, but wasn't certain. If you have time, and if you still have the lamp, I would love to see a photo of the inside. I have wanted to make some lighting fixtures for sometime now. Thanks again, n8

17036494411_e57d28fedb_o.jpg

16829942547_656f86acb7_o.jpg

16849570168_ecedeb8e2c_o.jpg

Here are a few more shots, hopefully something like what you were looking for. I have to give credit to Chris over at The Carpentry Way for the design of this lamp.

Not exactly built nor milled but from tree to finished item anyway.

Can't find the pic of the tree felled. Did post it on AS but that got lost in one of the great AS purges of the past.
Here's the block though (wood is Totara - a NZ native):

DSC00158.JPG

Here's a rough green turning:

100_0079.JPG

And here it is, after finally being able to finish off after a few years of drying:

IMG_20150418_114239.jpg

A friend turned it. One day, I'll have the time and money, and hopefully find some helpful turners, to learn how. Pictures don't really show how big this bowl is.

This is a full sized pizza box (looks small next to it) for reference:

IMG_20150418_114318.jpg

Is it just me or does that euc have some incredible interlocked wave/figure action happening? Was this tree leaning pretty hard? It looks like it had far more volume one side of the pith than the other.

This log was down a long time before I got to it, so I don't know about any lean. Eucalyptus tend to grow pretty plumb out here though.

I know it sounds gimicky but sometimes just laying a bit of luminescent powder mixed with resin into those cracks can turn them into a stunning feature. Is a blue colour available that could look good in there. There's a crowd somewhere that goes one step further and adds tiny LEDs. I know, it sounds trashy but they look spectacular.

Latest posts

Back