What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I normally use a copper dye. I have crysocholla that I'll be using also. This was a trade and I've got to much into it already.

Driftwood table I built and sold. I built the tube steel legs and antiqued them.a maple burl table and a few clocks I made.
0fecf9db4511992546c2922f60af4d1c.jpg
8dbb1c2eab0020417abdf0da4dc86e00.jpg
876a5a7b9cc56896c0168ef99a107976.jpg
2869cc3cc297c9f108a49db235e7546a.jpg
a742f69f953068c65e7ee96a2af07a6f.jpg
75570f2112f06363d274809dc53df9d9.jpg

Minwax is terrible. Here's an idea a friend of mine suggested, Zep acrylic floor finish. $20/gal. Looks pretty easy to apply, durable and cheap. pretty thin out of the bottle so it should spray a lot easier than other finishes. I'm going to give it a shot on my next proj.
Also try waterlox tung oil. A few coats rubbed with steel wool between each and finish with a good wax .

shawn

Not a fan of the thick gloss finish, but different strokes....
Looks like you have lots of air bubles in it, did you apply heat after applying??Not bashing you or anything but I find that MinWax is a pretty decent product. Are you not happy with the product or the end result on the table???
G Vavra

Zep Floor finish is not recommended for wood

Not happy with the dust spots and bubbles in the finish. I like the thick looking gloss finish though so I have to play around with it till I find something I like.

He's using resin. I'm not sure if this would work with a water base or oil base finish.

shawn

Am no expert and haven't done so for a while but here what worked for me when was doing it a fair bit back in the day.

Don't over cook (but obviously don't under cook it too) the epoxy mix and that will help give time for some bubbles (pay attention to how you are mixing it too) time to settle out of the container and out of the finish, get the pouring space and wood up a few degrees hotter than ambient and then kill the heat just before pouring and let the falling heat gradient take some potential puff out of the air in the wood surface, a small propane torch (I liked the ones that screw directly onto a small can) are good for popping bubbles (not much air movement and only very fleeting and localised spike in heat). Got to keep dust out of the air. It seems to wait in the wings and then dive in once you start putting the resin on. So, if you can wet the floor, stop all air movement (if can't guarantee the dust free air then do so only atfer you are done with the torch or the vendor says the fumes won't ignite) (or positve pressure the room), and at the very least build a cover over your work until it sets, then it does help.

Mind you, there are times when I would have been much happier with quite a bit of dust than no dust but one die-hard kamakazi flying insect that leaves a history of their struggle for you to read the next morning.

Am no expert and haven't done so for a while but here what worked for me when was doing it a fair bit back in the day.

Don't over cook (but obviously don't under cook it too) the epoxy mix and that will help give time for some bubbles (pay attention to how you are mixing it too) time to settle out of the container and out of the finish, get the pouring space and wood up a few degrees hotter than ambient and then kill the heat just before pouring and let the falling heat gradient take some potential puff out of the air in the wood surface, a small propane torch (I liked the ones that screw directly onto a small can) are good for popping bubbles (not much air movement and only very fleeting and localised spike in heat). Got to keep dust out of the air. It seems to wait in the wings and then dive in once you start putting the resin on. So, if you can wet the floor, stop all air movement (if can't guarantee the dust free air then do so only atfer you are done with the torch or the vendor says the fumes won't ignite) (or positve pressure the room), and at the very least build a cover over your work until it sets, then it does help.

Mind you, there are times when I would have been much happier with quite a bit of dust than no dust but one die-hard kamakazi flying insect that leaves a history of their struggle for you to read the next morning.

Yup

Yup I've read a little braille in the morning also. It always reads "I got you sucker!"

Latest posts

Back