What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I like it. A friend at Church is a custom cabinet maker. I took some of my big Pine slabs to his shop, he has a 42" double belt sander. He has tables that look like plywood boxes on casters that are all the same height as his in and out feeds on all of his equipment. Ran four slabs through and stacked them on one box, wheeled it back and ran them thru again. Having the right tools just makes life so easy, Joe.

Here's a pic of the little table I made that lines up with all of my in and out feeds. If I ever get a real shop I'll probably make a bunch of these, they just are so darn handy, Joe.

I don't know if I'll bother with a coat of poly or anything because I'll be beating it up with stuff like that little Marble fountain. The fountain came from an old historic restaurant. It's pink and white. I took it to a stone shop and they said it can be refinished and will be beautiful. I asked how do you refinish Marble, with sand paper, it's quite soft. I did a little spot on the bottom. I'm afraid if I try to do it I might screw up the contours. Fine sand paper takes a good bit off easily. I might just wait till I have the cash and let the stone guy do it, Joe.

CHcTLmLUkAAbyv1.jpg
CHcTLyiVAAAi7bf.jpg

Looking great as always. Is that the floor of the commissioned shed/hut/minor dwelling? What are those extra checks out of the bearer for? Door jack studs or sumfing like that? Maybe somewhere for stairs to land on?

I keep hearing The Flintstones music playing in my head when looking at your tables. Love 'em. How are you doing those mortices? Drill+chisel? Carving bar + chisel? Could never afford nor justify a proper morticer and too stoopid to modify the drill press myself, so someone gave me one of those tiny belt sanders - the ones that are only about 1/2" wide. Put a rough grit belt on one of those and can really mow through the slots.

that bearer/bottom plate isn't going anywhere any time soon. Lovely joint, thanks for sharing. Can I ask what wood that is and if you have any membrane between it and the stone/concrete please? We'd need the pine to be heavily treated with preservatives if we tried that here with our plantation Pinus Radiata. Even then, they'd probably make us put a flashing from the top of that all the way down to over the top of the concrete, in addition to a damp-proof course/membrane between the concrete and the wood.

that bearer/bottom plate isn't going anywhere any time soon. Lovely joint, thanks for sharing. Can I ask what wood that is and if you have any membrane between it and the stone/concrete please? We'd need the pine to be heavily treated with preservatives if we tried that here with our plantation Pinus Radiata. Even then, they'd probably make us put a flashing from the top of that all the way down to over the top of the concrete, in addition to a damp-proof course/membrane between the concrete and the wood.

I use pine that died standing and allowed to dry for a couple of years standing in the woods. This will create more code in it and it becomes more rot proof.
I thin memran between the stone and the log made of tar. Do not think it necessary for the foundation is so dry in my house

Looking great as always. Is that the floor of the commissioned shed/hut/minor dwelling? What are those extra checks out of the bearer for? Door jack studs or sumfing like that? Maybe somewhere for stairs to land on?

I keep hearing The Flintstones music playing in my head when looking at your tables. Love 'em. How are you doing those mortices? Drill+chisel? Carving bar + chisel? Could never afford nor justify a proper morticer and too stoopid to modify the drill press myself, so someone gave me one of those tiny belt sanders - the ones that are only about 1/2" wide. Put a rough grit belt on one of those and can really mow through the slots.

Yes, one of them. The other timber frame one is moving along slowly. Joists are dovetailed onto bearer and i was too lazy to make the cuts fit the bearer exactly. I will get a side on pic of it. Started with just mallet and chisel, hog out as much wood with a drill then finish with a chisel. Got a lock morticer now, not as fast as a chain morticer but it does the job. I have one of those tiny belt sanders too ,good idea bro i will have to try it out.

Latest posts

Back