What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished this up this week..Ate up most of the Maple I had around..
Overall measurements are :Length 72”, Width 36”, Height 32.75”...
The top is built using 2”x2”x2.75”maple end grain blocks (lots and lots)/ legs solid 5"x5"..
Last pic for scale...
G Vavra

Attachments

• IMG_3992.JPG
    IMG_3992.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4000.JPG
    IMG_4000.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
  • Photo0291.jpg
    Photo0291.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 129
Cabin progress, still in the dark with rafter measuring and cutting ended up making a template which helped get it done.
Hopefully someone is paying a fair price for the amount of work gone into that. Probably have a spare "rafters, lengths and bevels" book floating about from my building days if you want me to have a look in the shed.

Might feel like cheating, but you could probably make up a router jig that adjusts for different seat/heel/plumb angles and depths for those birdsmouths, then have an option to run a rounding-over bit on the top edges of the ridge beam to avoid having to square off the birdsmouths with a chisel.

I think I know what I'm going to be doing with some of that Fastigata I wasn't sure about now, if it doesn't self-destruct while air-drying.

Hopefully someone is paying a fair price for the amount of work gone into that. Probably have a spare "rafters, lengths and bevels" book floating about from my building days if you want me to have a look in the shed.

Might feel like cheating, but you could probably make up a router jig that adjusts for different seat/heel/plumb angles and depths for those birdsmouths, then have an option to run a rounding-over bit on the top edges of the ridge beam to avoid having to square off the birdsmouths with a chisel.

I think I know what I'm going to be doing with some of that Fastigata I wasn't sure about now, if it doesn't self-destruct while air-drying.
No home for it yet, lots of people like it. 150 hrs and 10 cube, would only consider selling to some one who appreciates it, bargain hunters will be shown the gate. Quite happy to keep it for a smoko hut. Thanks for the book offer but i really need a expert to show me. Next cabin wont have a ridge.

Using a chisel is a breeze after sharpening with sandpaper on glass, scary sharp.

A fastigata cabin would be bloody heavy, but very cool.

Do you have a demo' one at Barry's yet? Seeing/touching is probably going to help people part with the sort of $ required.

The only expert I know has succumbed to dementia. A shame as he was worth travelling the length of the country to learn from. Must be some mens sheds or woodworking/turning guilds somewhere, or youtube?

Hmmm, no ridge next time? I suggest getting the greenest temperamental timber you can find and making up a few test joints and seeing how they perform as the wood seasons. Heaps of learning potential doing that. More than simply using seasoned wood from the outset.

Do you have a demo' one at Barry's yet? Seeing/touching is probably going to help people part with the sort of $ required.

The only expert I know has succumbed to dementia. A shame as he was worth travelling the length of the country to learn from. Must be some mens sheds or woodworking/turning guilds somewhere, or youtube?

Hmmm, no ridge next time? I suggest getting the greenest temperamental timber you can find and making up a few test joints and seeing how they perform as the wood seasons. Heaps of learning potential doing that. More than simply using seasoned wood from the outset.

Barrys not opening to the public so wont see any foot traffic through his work.
Your a bad influence, spend far too much time on youtube thanks to you, thats where i came across the chisel sharpening.
No ridge, open mortice and tennon at rafter peak with collar ties with a step lapped seat. I know how to measure and layout for that. I always use green wood, like watching how it performs sometimes i get it wrong and choose to use the wrong piece.

@Wayne68 do you use an adze to texture and hog out your pieces or some kind of power tool that recreates the texture? I know Festool makes one that is sort of like a plunge planer with curved blades.

@steve easy I like the dovetailed corners a lot. Haven't seen that before. Why do you build the roof on the ground and how do you raise it when you're done?

IMG_20151006_180911.jpg Built on ground so i didnt have to go up and down a ladder a heap of times, i am not that great with heights. Used a 6x6, ropes and chainblock to get the ridge up.

Your a bad influence
You can bloody talk. I just wired the $ today for a bit of machinery you suggested a while back that I already knew about but needed a nudge. As a clue, it goes round and round and Barry has one. I'm calling it the manukinator.

Its very hypnotic to watch it work, i had trouble tearing myself away from it first time i saw it in person, videos are just not the same.

One of my SIL's cooks for large groups e.g. community events, and asked me if I would replace her big wooden spoon that broke recently.
Here it is up against a regular size wooden spoon the big spoon is ~20" long.
The wood is Olive milled on my upright BS using a Sled.
View attachment 458139
Morning Bob,
Now that's a big spoon!
jerry-

Just started cutting beams to replace 1 side of the roof and one of the 2nd floor support beams for my carriage house. I'll probably be cutting 1" planks for the roof as well.

Back