What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you may know I slabbed a lot of logs back in 2007/8/9. I've sold a few slabs but have hardly used any myself . Poor storage had led to some losses and the packs of slabs stored in the open have gone quite grey in the strong Aussie sunshine. Earlier this year I received a request from a relative to make them some small wine racks and they gave me some designs which used rough sawn timber and I asked if I could used weathered wood with natural edges and the relative said that would be great. Yesterday I brought two slabs of Spotted Gum home and started breaking them up for this project and hopefully I will have something to show in a few days.

Black Walnut "magazine crate". Birthday present for my sister. The wood came from scraps and cutoffs from milling her tree.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
Cottonwood slabs stand for fire pit benches.20160401_162231.jpg 20160402_091746.jpg
This is silver maple that I made lastyear20160326_151941.jpg 0628151603.jpgThis is going to be a fund my wishlist chainsaw bench it will be a rocker and hope to get 5 bills for it. This is just the mock up of the bench that I did Sunday lots of work to do still20160403_144650.jpg 20160403_144734.jpg

Nice benches. I'll be making similar ones with half logs of walnut I pirated from a job. Still need to get the fire pit made.

I really like the bench designs and will probably copy a couple of elements in my next job - If I can convince the landscape architect that is ;-)
One thing I've found in cutting benches was that rough cut surfaces where people sit did not always appeal to some customers.
When I offered them an alternative between rough and smooth seating surfaces they always went for for smooth.
On non-seating surfaces they prefer rough cut, and one customer even asked me to re-cut a couple of smooth surfaces.

With relatively little effort this is the sort of finish I can get with my CSM.
Some people that see these cuts for the first time don't believe that it was done with a CS.
If you want to know how to do this just ask.
Nicefinish.jpg

Attachments

• Top2.jpg
    Top2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 33
This is super small and not wood I milled. Just free handed a locust cookie and inlayed a picture and filled it with epoxy. Saved me over 200 dollars my fiancé wanted a bathing suit for her bday. She's happy and so am I that I saved the money. View attachment 496526
Awesome looking frame - just remember that sometimes the presents they ask for come with ancillary benefits.

I really like the bench designs and will probably copy a couple of elements in my next job - If I can convince the landscape architect that is ;-)
One thing I've found in cutting benches was that rough cut surfaces where people sit did not always appeal to some customers.
When I offered them an alternative between rough and smooth seating surfaces they always went for for smooth.
On non-seating surfaces they prefer rough cut, and one customer even asked me to re-cut a couple of smooth surfaces.

Some people that see these cuts for the first time don't believe that it was done with a CS.
View attachment 496578
Yeah its not a job just a hobby the rough goes away easy with a good few thick coats of outdoor spar urethane but I like the saw marks cause it don't look like it came out of a shop, I do take it down a Lil bit with a belt sander before I coat them.

View attachment 496578
Was that slab oiled up? Sure had some nice caricature

This is a small commission job for a gent in his late eighties.
His close friends are having a 60th Wedding anniversary and this is his gift to them.
The gent and his friends worked together for years in a tiny milling hamlet in the middle of the only Tuart forest in the world.
The hamlet sent milled Tuart to a nearby town via a 10 mile long railway to be shipped to Europe - mainly to England as railroad road ties.
Now the railway has long gone and the forest is a National park.
The spikes are from the from the old railway line and the wood is from the Tuart log I milled into a park bench a few weeks back.
The names and dates are laser engraved direct onto the wood by a friend of mine.
Th customer wanted the wood left rough sawn but I convinced him that I should at least sand the top so the engraving could be done more easily
IMG_6600.jpg IMG_6601.jpg

This is a small commission job for a gent in his late eighties.
His close friends are having a 60th Wedding anniversary and this is his gift to them.
The gent and his friends worked together for years in a tiny milling hamlet in the middle of the only Tuart forest in the world.
The hamlet sent the Tuart to a nearby town by a 10 mile railway to be shipped to Europe - mainly to England as railroad road ties.
Now the railway has long gone and the forest is a National park.
The spikes are from the from the old railway line and the wood is from the Tuart log I milled into a park bench a few weeks back.
The names and dates are laser engraved direct onto the wood by a friend of mine.
Th customer wanted the wood left rough sawn but I convinced him that I should at least sand the top so the engraving could be done more easily
View attachment 496636 View attachment 496637
That is really cool

This is one of two wine racks I said I would make as a present for my nieces wedding almost 6 months ago.
My niece showed me a design done in salvaged timber that she wanted me to copy but I suggested a natural edge rough sawn look instead.

The timber is from a Spotted Gum log milled in 2008 and the slabs have been left exposed to open air since then.
The timber, especially the stuff close to the natural edge is hardly construction grade but its fine for this decorative stuff.
All the timber has been deliberately left undressed so all the original CS marks are present on the timber.
It's far from flat and even working with short pieces is tricky to make a squarish frame.
Drilling close to the edge for the steel rods was a bit of a lottery - on one hole the drill bit tracked a crack in the grain leaving the hole out of position by half an inch so I turned up a plug of the original wood and plugged the hole so I could drill it again,
IMG_6603.jpg

The frame is dowelled together with 1/2" dowelling.
The original plan only catered for the standard height 3" diameter wine bottle but this design caters for the fatter (3.5" diameter) bottle.
One thing I did nit realise is that there are some 3" diam bottles that are slightly taller that the standard bottle - these still fit in the upright side but not in the horizontal side.
IMG_6607.jpg

Old natural edges just have that special look about them
IMG_6608.jpg

Anything that involves wine and wood have got to be good. So you got the modular frame set, next is a bank of them?

Just a tragic update on the block with the railway dogs in it.
The gift was very well received by the anniversary couple and all the relatives at the celebration party also liked it.
Unfortunately later that night the male half of the anniversary couple suffered a major heart attack and passed away.

Back