What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are most of you fellas using a heat cycle on the lumber and slabs before the projects begin or are there other options these days? I saw one guy use a salt/boric acid mixture rolled on the wet slabs but, I'm not sure if that replaces the heat cycle.

I milled a southern sugar maple a year or so ago, was so happy with the character in the slabs that I dug out some pieces from the firewood pile that were small trimmings from the tree, cut them in to sheets for veneers, and made a humidor trimmed in ebony from it:

ugvgmo5.jpg

42cMJY4.jpg

BhEIv6t.jpg

Beautiful. Lots of work in that small box but a lovely piece, well crafted. Thanks for sharing.

Those are interesting, neat wee box hinges. I've not seen them before but need a dozen or so for upcoming projects. They look like some sort of quadrant box hinge. Do you have more details or images please? Thanks.

the hinges are side rail hinges. I order them from woodcrart. Here is the link. The only option for solid brass ones used to be brusso, but those were $35 a pop. The highpoint are just as good and cheaper. I do replace the solid brass screws with brass plated steel screws as the brass screws are so weak they break all the time.

Here is a table from the slabs in the tree. The slabs had more curl and less spalting, but still some crazy grain:

fUa4cCf.jpg

It is really just to show the gypsy moth situation on June 1 2017. I know it was bad back around 1973, will have to wait until the turds are bigger to assess if it is worse now or then. I chose to use pressure treated for the four legs even though they are not ground contact rated. I also chose 6 feet long for weight considerations.picnic table side view.JPG picnic table gypsy moth caterpillar and turd close up.JPG

milled this matai for a cocky, makes me laugh there was talk of cutting it for f/w cause it didn't look like much. So it was decided to make some benches and big table etc for outdoor use. Well I got call after I made the first bench, he'd fallen for the timber far to nice for outdoor use. Going to be a bookshelf and some cabinets for inside now. Saved another log from the f/w pile.

Attachments

• 20170531_090658.jpg
    20170531_090658.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
  • 20170611_091658.jpg
    20170611_091658.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 20170611_152203.jpg
    20170611_152203.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88

Latest posts

Back