What are your firewood saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point, I do pretty much everything with my 550XP and 371XP (switched up with the 2166). I do cut up pallets with the Husky 440 with semi-chisel chain, and I do trim and stuff with the top handle Echo.

Mike
Good morning Mike.
Did you open up the transfer restriction on the 2166 yet. Wondering how it compares to your 371 before/after.
Ran my 2166 with the 272 both with the 24" B&C and they were pretty close. Guessing the 2166 will spank the 262 with the restrictions ground out :).

Good morning Mike.
Did you open up the transfer restriction on the 2166 yet. Wondering how it compares to your 371 before/after.
Ran my 2166 with the 272 both with the 24" B&C and they were pretty close. Guessing the 2166 will spank the 262 with the restrictions ground out :).

I haven't opened it up, yet, but it had some use before I got it, and it's a 2015 saw, so likely a logger's saw or something. I suspect when I go to open it up, I'll find they're already cut out, based on how it runs. I've only had it for a few weeks.

Mike

I haven't opened it up, yet, but it had some use before I got it, and it's a 2015 saw, so likely a logger's saw or something. I suspect when I go to open it up, I'll find they're already cut out, based on how it runs. I've only had it for a few weeks.

Mike
I hear that. I'm not sure if I'll open mine up or not, saws are in and out of here pretty quick so there's no telling if I'll get to it before it goes down the rd.
Mine pulls pretty good, but I'm guessing it hasn't been touched as it's pretty fresh, like a few tanks fresh :).20161005_221251.jpg

]Too wet here to cut wood,so I decided to see if I could get this piped Poulan 5200 running again.
Ran a new fuel line and tidied up the wiring harness and half a dozen pulls and she was away
5fc1b015012efe9187edfd4e228b1bf4.jpg

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

I just started cutting for myself 3 years ago when we bought our house. I own a 261cm with a 18" bar and a 170 with a 16", a buddy has a 440 that I have used a few times, it works great for the bigger stuff (24" +) or felling anything that requires re-positioning multiple times with the 18" bar on my 261. The farmer where I cut has an 031 and an older farm boss.

Anything less than a 24" I prefer to use my 261, granted neither my buddy or the farmer takes good care of their chains so it's hit or miss on how their saws perform unless I take the time to sharpen the chain for them. Should be finishing the muffler mod on my 261 next week that should make it better for noodling at the city dump site... small stuff gets snatched up pretty quick but nearly 3 cord of 36" to 60" diameter chunks have been sitting there all summer. Going to start cutting them into manageable chunks after work. ( the farm I cut is about an hour away and I can only get out there on the weekends)

I love my 170 for limbing, very light and cuts great if you don't force it. Looking into the adjustable carb swap and muffler mod for the 170 to give it a little more power. That said I may end up giving the 170 to my father and buying the 180 for limbing instead. I would do the adjustable carb swap and muffler mod to the 180 instead if i went that route.

Aaron

I just started cutting for myself 3 years ago when we bought our house. I own a 261cm with a 18" bar and a 170 with a 16", a buddy has a 440 that I have used a few times, it works great for the bigger stuff (24" +) or felling anything that requires re-positioning multiple times with the 18" bar on my 261. The farmer where I cut has an 031 and an older farm boss.

Anything less than a 24" I prefer to use my 261, granted neither my buddy or the farmer takes good care of their chains so it's hit or miss on how their saws perform unless I take the time to sharpen the chain for them. Should be finishing the muffler mod on my 261 next week that should make it better for noodling at the city dump site... small stuff gets snatched up pretty quick but nearly 3 cord of 36" to 60" diameter chunks have been sitting there all summer. Going to start cutting them into manageable chunks after work. ( the farm I cut is about an hour away and I can only get out there on the weekends)

I love my 170 for limbing, very light and cuts great if you don't force it. Looking into the adjustable carb swap and muffler mod for the 170 to give it a little more power. That said I may end up giving the 170 to my father and buying the 180 for limbing instead. I would do the adjustable carb swap and muffler mod to the 180 instead if i went that route.

Aaron
and take a trailer with yah,,and after you noodle..all gets loaded......as the trash will load anything you don't take..i wouldn't even leave a portion of a log I cut on...none....

What ever saw has a sharp chain. Witch right now after 2 rain days (kinda hard to lay brick in the rain) there all sharp. But I lean more to the ms 391 or the cs500p, and my farther inlaws 460 he's made 2 cuts with snesen he got it. Now that's a nice saw.
20161023_102334.jpg

Added 2 more saws to the collection of Firewood saws thanks to all you guys in here, the addiction is growing haha
Picked the 044 off Kijiji for $220, buddy had the wrong size chain on it so it was jumping on him, and he thought it was too powerful for what he needed. i took my bar off my old 034 and put on this, and then bought an 18" bar for it.
Picked the 034 up off a buddy for $200 and he has a couple more bars and chains coming too. Came with the case and an extra tool, can never have enough of them around.

WP_20161025_001.jpg WP_20161025_002.jpg WP_20161025_003.jpg

Added 2 more saws to the collection of Firewood saws thanks to all you guys in here, the addiction is growing haha
Picked the 044 off Kijiji for $220, buddy had the wrong size chain on it so it was jumping on him, and he thought it was too powerful for what he needed. i took my bar off my old 034 and put on this, and then bought an 18" bar for it.
Picked the 034 up off a buddy for $200 and he has a couple more bars and chains coming too. Came with the case and an extra tool, can never have enough of them around.

View attachment 533317 View attachment 533318 View attachment 533319

Very nice! I don't have any of the 0X4 or X40 saws, but once I'm done with the 0X6/X60 lineup, I suppose I'll have to track some down. So many saws to find! Damned budget getting in the way.

You are lucky to have a dealer that knows they exist.

Ive been giving this guy money since he started out in the back of a mower shop over 20 years ago. Just last year he bought the same shop he started out in after branching out on his own and building a shop next door.

http://www.superiorsawandstove.com/

Walk in my garage and you'd swear I'm a Stihl fanboy. Fact is he is a phenomenal dealer. I couldn't imagine wanting to give my money to anyone else. If he sold strictly Husky, that's what I'd have.

Well.... maybe that's being a tad dramatic about owning the wrong color orange.

So I'm currently in the process of changing out all the old, inefficient fluorescent lighting in my garage to LED. Working over where I keep my saws I see this little guy sitting there and I remembered I haven't let him eat yet. Ive got the perfect pile out back, all the branches from the walnuts Ive cut down.

Grabbed my tab n cut and marked some lengths and the 241 fires up on the second pull..... I was VERY impressed with its ability to chew through this walnut using all 12" of the bar. I was concerned I would be left wanting with a 42cc saw.... I had a 261 earlier this year and traded up to a 362. I just didn't like how the 261 pulled the 16" bar and that is my most used bar length.

My 3 saw plan is complete. I toyed with rounding it out on the upper end with a 661. I'm glad I went the other way, this guy will see LOTS of use.

So I'm currently in the process of changing out all the old, inefficient fluorescent lighting in my garage to LED. Working over where I keep my saws I see this little guy sitting there and I remembered I haven't let him eat yet. Ive got the perfect pile out back, all the branches from the walnuts Ive cut down.

Grabbed my tab n cut and marked some lengths and the 241 fires up on the second pull..... I was VERY impressed with its ability to chew through this walnut using all 12" of the bar. I was concerned I would be left wanting with a 42cc saw.... I had a 261 earlier this year and traded up to a 362. I just didn't like how the 261 pulled the 16" bar and that is my most used bar length.

My 3 saw plan is complete. I toyed with rounding it out on the upper end with a 661. I'm glad I went the other way, this guy will see LOTS of use.
Did you have the original 261 or the version 2.0?

Latest posts

Back