What chainsaw mill to buy for medium sized logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small correction, USED to mill a lot. I haven't that done that much in the last few years and nothing since March of this year. The main reason is pain, and loss of balance and strength in my feet and lower legs especially in the last two months. Going up and down stairs or ladders really wipes me out. I used to walk my dogs 3-4 miles a day but can barely manage 1/2 mile these days. At first the docs thought it was related to my type II diabetes but my sugars are well controlled and my circulation is OK and so far the docs don't think that's the problem. I've been seeing a neurologist and he identified that I'm finding it hard to distinguish between temperature/pressure and pain which signifies nerve problem in my back and the latest scans do show my lower back has "problems". This is weird because I don't have any back pain. The docs instructions are not to lift or carry any more than a bag of groceries so no chainsaw work or handling lumber until things are sorted out. I also have kidney problems but that might not be related.

Sounds like something I went through... for me a big part of it was tight hamstrings that recruited other muscles and put pressure on nerves. I need to warm up my joints and muscles in the morning so I do some Chi Gong warm up exercises before getting out of bed. If things are bad after getting out of bed I do some more, for example: http://taichi.snowcron.com/joints.htm You may need to look past the "religion" aspect of this and focus on the physical! I've been milling some 30" DBH ash with my Granberg mill recently and this morning routine has been a necessity!

Hey buddy, dunno if you're still shopping for a mill but if you want to save some money I can show you how to build a 3-4 foot mill for about 50 bucks. No welding, just bolt together parts. I've milled a dozen 36" white oak slabs and 10 black locust slabs with this mill using several different saws. Easy to use, weighs about the same as the granberg, cheap to fix if something gets dropped or broken. Lmk if you're interested:)

Latest posts

Back