What chainsaws do you recommend for new tree service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutter Dan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm starting a new tree removal service with a few buddies of mine. I was wondering what kind of saws you recommend a small tree service to start out with. I'm partial to Husqvarna but I'm not totally against Stihl. I imagine I'll need a Pole Saw, a Top Handle Saw and a couple more to fell and buck with. What models do you guys suggest for a $3500 budget?

Although Stihl no longer makes it, the MS200T was pretty much the best limbing saw ever made. If you can get a nice, lightly used one for a good price you won't be sorry...[emoji3]
It's hard to stay loyal to a certain model when they come out with new saws every year.

201tc/150tc 12-14" bar
241CM- 14-16" bar
362CM 18-20" bar
461CM 25-32" bar

You could get actual pole saws instead of a power pole pruner, saves money. My employer doesn't buy power pole saws, they make bad cuts and can be dangerous. Those saws cover all your bases and stay under your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im 24 and own and operate a very busy tree service. We do dangerous tree removals all the time. We started out on small jobs and have slowly moved up since i was 15 years old. In my 9 years i will give you the besr advice ive learned. Dont buy junk to start with. If youe serious about this trade buy new equipment at the beggining. Below are the top saws for starting out. Low maintence and high useability. A pole saw is not used as much as you would think. We might use it three times a month.
My picks are.
Ms261
Ms241
Ms461r
Ms192t
Ms251
Husqvarna
346xp
372xp
562xp
272xp
455xtor
Any of these saws are going to get it done well.
You really just want to make sure you have a 50-60cc saw and a 70-80cc saw. You will be able to complete 99% of jobs with these two range of saws alone.

A sling shot with a rope saw has saved me so many time in the past. Currently like the Husky 460 for a intermediate saw and the MS200 for climbing. Use what you have for now and soon you will know exactly what you need the most. A friend of mine started a new business and bought about 5K of saws. Within 6 months he had to repair or replace all of them because his workers did not care if they were used as a sled hammer. I had suggested that he start with some cheap 460's and buy some more pricey ones latter. I do not think he will last another year. Thanks

Well I'm mostly a Stihl guy but if I was buying new saws I think I'd get an Echo CS-355T 14", 50cc Makita/Dolmar 20" and Husqvarna 372XP 28". Silky Hayauchi for a pole saw.
I think I'll end up getting a Husky 372XP 28". What model would you suggest in the Husky professional lineup for an 18-20" bar?

Im 24 and own and operate a very busy tree service. We do dangerous tree removals all the time. We started out on small jobs and have slowly moved up since i was 15 years old. In my 9 years i will give you the besr advice ive learned. Dont buy junk to start with. If youe serious about this trade buy new equipment at the beggining. Below are the top saws for starting out. Low maintence and high useability. A pole saw is not used as much as you would think. We might use it three times a month.
My picks are.
Ms261
Ms241
Ms461r
Ms192t
Ms251
Husqvarna
346xp
372xp
562xp
272xp
455xtor
Any of these saws are going to get it done well.
You really just want to make sure you have a 50-60cc saw and a 70-80cc saw. You will be able to complete 99% of jobs with these two range of saws alone.

Good stuff. Thanks.

I think I'll end up getting a Husky 372XP 28". What model would you suggest in the Husky professional lineup for an 18-20" bar?
545 really nice all around with a 18. 450 is nor bad either. Saves a few bucks

If you had to choose 2 of these 3 which would you choose? A 2017 562XP, a 2017 372XP and a 2017 576XP?

None of them, buy stihl. I've found the huskys to be great saws, but can't handle the stress of inexperience and long term use. I would use them, but the abuse that they get full time shows they don't hold up. The filtration of the stihl is better as well.

If you had to choose 2 of these 3 which would you choose? A 2017 562XP, a 2017 372XP and a 2017 576XP?
Hmm all three are close and are used in simular fashion and usage. The 562 would be the lightest and most agile of the 3. The 576 may be the smoothest and good felling saw and the 372 may be the most reliable and easiest to get worked on and parts in Stock almost everywhere.

If you are in business you need a saw that can be serviced quick. Where I am it is Stihl, Husqvarna takes a week for most parts and Echo.. well they are a joke when it comes to support. When it comes to business you can not afford to be down for long. Dealer presence is also a huge factor for many.

If you are in business you need a saw that can be serviced quick. Where I am it is Stihl, Husqvarna takes a week for most parts and Echo.. well they are a joke when it comes to support. When it comes to business you can not afford to be down for long. Dealer presence is also a huge factor for many.
You are absolutely right about that. I've never owned a Stihl. Always been a husky guy. Unfortunately I've only got one Husky dealer within thirty miles and their service turnaround time is a week on something as simple as a leaky fuel line. Stihl definitely dominates the market where I live. I may be forced to convert lol.

You are absolutely right about that. I've never owned a Stihl. Always been a husky guy. Unfortunately I've only got one Husky dealer within thirty miles and their service turnaround time is a week on something as simple as a leaky fuel line. Stihl definitely dominates the market where I live. I may be forced to convert lol.

It's not forced, it's smart business.

I'd get a couple cheapish saws for inexperianced help. I believe an ms 250 with a 16" bar and .050 picco chain would fit the bill nicely as they are very useful and reliable good performers for limbing and the smaller wood. The picco chain is less expensive and easier to maintain then .325, also seems the saw pulls it easier. Try keeping more expensive saws in experienced dependable hands. If you get many very big trees a big displacement saw (90ishcc) will pay for itself in time saved + save a lot of wear and tear on a smaller saw. I really like my Stihl ms660 when it comes to that but I haven't run enough of other saws that big or bigger to compare. Mid range I like both the lighter made 60 and 70ish cc saws, older 0 series Stihls always felt comfortable to me and served me well. If I was to go new I'd consider just about any make as they all seem to have their strong points. Bar and chain compatablity could be a consideration. Pole saws are an asset when you can't get close enough to the cut an easier way. I like my extendable Stihl with the 4mix motor. I also have a manual pole saw that reaches farther . My first was a Poulan Pro that paid for itself pretty much in 1 job. They are not a very tough tool like the Stihl, but are light and easy to use for light duty limbing.
I agree with the concept to invest more in what is most needed. Don't want to maintain tools that aren't making you $.

201tc/150tc 12-14" bar
241CM- 14-16" bar
362CM 18-20" bar
461CM 25-32" bar

You could get actual pole saws instead of a power pole pruner, saves money. My employer doesn't buy power pole saws, they make bad cuts and can be dangerous. Those saws cover all your bases and stay under your budget.

I been looking for one of those 461CM :).
Great advice here if you want to stick with the same brand. I think that would be good for someone starting out as it simplify things.
Remember the 3005 mount bars on the 241 will be way shorter than the advertised length.

Jack have you used the 150tc yet.
I have the old 201 rear handle just did the mod to make the carb adjustable, next muffler mod, then the timing advance.
I've heard a lot of good about the mtronic 201 and considered getting a newer rear handled one and still may.

I been looking for one of those 461CM :).
Great advice here if you want to stick with the same brand. I think that would be good for someone starting out as it simplify things.
Remember the 3005 mount bars on the 241 will be way shorter than the advertised length.

Jack have you used the 150tc yet.
I have the old 201 rear handle just did the mod to make the carb adjustable, next muffler mod, then the timing advance.
I've heard a lot of good about the mtronic 201 and considered getting a newer rear handled one and still may.

I bought a 150 a month ago. It's the perfect climbing saw for pruning. The 201tc are great too, I would absolutely use them if I didn't already have a 200t.

Latest posts

Back