What chainsaws do you recommend for new tree service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are absolutely right about that. I've never owned a Stihl. Always been a husky guy. Unfortunately I've only got one Husky dealer within thirty miles and their service turnaround time is a week on something as simple as a leaky fuel line. Stihl definitely dominates the market where I live. I may be forced to convert lol.
Welcome to As Dan.
I think it would be helpful to know what saws you have already.
Both make great saws in different sizes, and I personally would do a good bit of mixing and matching(although you will have to make a plan and stick with it).
One thing that is helpful is to run all .050 chain if you mix and match as you won't get them mixed up and you will only be shopping for one groove size.
I also am not concerned with quick service, if I need something quick I'd buy another saw when I dropped the first one off, problem solved. If you don't have a little cash set aside for new purchases you may have a hard run at any business. There are times where this is tough I know, but having an emergency fund of at least a couple thousand shouldn't be a problem. When you make a bunch on a good job don't just blow it, buy a nice saw or set it aside for a rainy day, they will come. The last job I did I bought a brand new 562xp full wrap with heated handle, still in the box in the basement, but if I need it it's there, and if I need the cash I can sell it pretty quick to as they don't sell a full wrap with heat any longer.
It's not forced, it's smart business.
This is the key :rolleyes:. It's about making money, safety, keeping customers happy. Many times personal preference takes a back seat, but don't go against your conscious and have integrity!
I bought a 150 a month ago. It's the perfect climbing saw for pruning. The 201tc are great too, I would absolutely use them if I didn't already have a 200t.
Been wanting to try one, but since I don't climb much I probably won't go there, probably LOL.
I just sold my 200 rear handle as I had the 201 rear handle, but the 201 with mtronic is tempting as I've heard a lot of good things.

I been looking for one of those 461CM :).
Great advice here if you want to stick with the same brand. I think that would be good for someone starting out as it simplify things.
Remember the 3005 mount bars on the 241 will be way shorter than the advertised length.

Jack have you used the 150tc yet.
I have the old 201 rear handle just did the mod to make the carb adjustable, next muffler mod, then the timing advance.
I've heard a lot of good about the mtronic 201 and considered getting a newer rear handled one and still may.

the 150 is a wonderful light saw, I sell many of the 201 rear handle saws but not to arborists but to chainsaw carvers! There is a carving kit and I get that for them as well. Stihl now has a kit for the MS 170 so I am seeing a steady increase in those as well.

@Cutter Dan
Personally I have a different view of your required needs. I donot see the need for the top line production cutting saws in your field! The Stihl 261/Husqvarna 550 are nice saws to have when cutting down a forest one tree after the other, but you will be easily equally fast with the slightly detuned husqvarna versions at quite a saving. The models, if you want to stay with husqvarna that I would consider for a new business would be the 50cc 545, 60cc 555 or 70cc 365. All the same models as the pro line up with magnesium body etc. only with a slightly detuned engine.

I also find the Dolmar=Makita (Makita is the parent company and they have changed over from the dolmar to the makita name, but it is still the same top german manufacturing) line extremely attractive! The 420/421 is built like a pro saw and actually used by some pros in a setting exactly like yours since years with hundreds of refills without a problem(would also be my first choice by far in the 40cc section). Further the 6100 is another top contender, with the large fuel tanks you won't need to refuel quite often anymore.

Further no idea where you are working but over here there is more and more a changeover to electric saws in a comunity setting. The TH models made by Makita=Dolmar, Husqvarna & Stihl are all excellent models to consider. The advantages are all too obvious, instant ON & OFF, absolute no starting problems far up in the tree, MUCH less noise so that easy communication with your groundie is simple, much less problems in communities were neighbors are offended by the noise, no constant inhaling of exhaust fumes, no problems with tree loving neighbors who come running from far away because they hear the chainsaw and fear an tree is being cut down that needs to be saved etc. etc. The guys I know have typically more than 3 battery packs and can easily cut all day long. I would clearly do my homework beforehand and really checkout the other equipment(air blower, hedge trimmer, etc.) available by the manufacturer and consider a combi package.

If you have people working for you, I would definately aquire some low cost high quality models that won't break the bank when damaged. Top on my list would be the echo 590! You just don't get more saw for the money! I would only check the carb tune when brand new as on any carb saw.

good luck!

We supply many tree companies, I can tell you that many 200T users went to the 201T and were disappointed, many of these guys have since gone to the Echo cs-355T unbeatable value at $349. If I was buying a 372XP I would to try to find a solid 2010 model pre EPA, one of the best saws ever built simple, powerful, dependable and tons of quality aftermarket parts available! The X torq versions tend to be more complicated and the parts just are not available yet, although the cylinders and pistons are. The CS-590 is a great value for a solid ground saw, and a Dolmar PS-35 would be my pick for a chipper saw.

That's more saw than I can handle. I decided to go with Stihl.

HT 100 Pole Saw
BR 600 Leaf Blower
MS 193T Top Handle
MS 362 C-M 20" bar
MS 461 28" bar
Good choice I have the 193t and 362c-m both are good saws just remembered to take care of them and they will take care of you. Gl with business. Let me know how you like the 461 thinking about getting one myself.

We supply many tree companies, I can tell you that many 200T users went to the 201T and were disappointed, many of these guys have since gone to the Echo cs-355T unbeatable value at $349. If I was buying a 372XP I would to try to find a solid 2010 model pre EPA, one of the best saws ever built simple, powerful, dependable and tons of quality aftermarket parts available! The X torq versions tend to be more complicated and the parts just are not available yet, although the cylinders and pistons are. The CS-590 is a great value for a solid ground saw, and a Dolmar PS-35 would be my pick for a chipper saw.

The initial run of 201Ts were complete turds...sluggish throttle response and boggy. They made some changes to the newer Mtronic ones and they are fantastic saws. I have heard good things about the CS355T though...

The initial run of 201Ts were complete turds...sluggish throttle response and boggy. They made some changes to the newer Mtronic ones and they are fantastic saws. I have heard good things about the CS355T though...
Thats what I understand but they are still pricy at $650 compared to a $349 CS-355T. Not sure if they still have to buy the upgrade kit for the MS 201T to get to run correct?

Thats what I understand but they are still pricy at $650 compared to a $349 CS-355T. Not sure if they still have to buy the upgrade kit for the MS 201T to get to run correct?

The upgrade kit was for the older units, I have taken in quite a few MS 200t's that had far too much damage to repair and the 201's were bought as replacements. They seem to be fine performance wise from what I have seen. Price is not always the deciding factor for many, reliability and dealer support are key.

The upgrade kit was for the older units, I have taken in quite a few MS 200t's that had far too much damage to repair and the 201's were bought as replacements. They seem to be fine performance wise from what I have seen. Price is not always the deciding factor for many, reliability and dealer support are key.
Good to hear, I think many of our customers felt a little burned with the 201T and are not aware or do not believe the issues have been resolved, so thats good news, thanks!

Good to hear, I think many of our customers felt a little burned with the 201T and are not aware or do not believe the issues have been resolved, so thats good news, thanks!
I recall a few saws coming back with those issues but the fix was a very fast one. I recall us getting a care package from stihl with some carbs a and coils to try out. The 250 193 are also good sellers for us. Why they can not tackle the big wood that the 200 did the climbers have adjusted their cutting style in favor of the light nimble saws.

the 150 is a wonderful light saw, I sell many of the 201 rear handle saws but not to arborists but to chainsaw carvers! There is a carving kit and I get that for them as well. Stihl now has a kit for the MS 170 so I am seeing a steady increase in those as well.
What is in the 201T carving package?

Put a new 201tc in there hands, they will be cured of any doubts they have, and will sell many more fore you.
This is old news and most are past it now.
As for the early ones an ignition timing advance will put it right with the 200t ;).
Lol you have the money haha trust me I'd like to just buy it
I'm sure I could find some cash in your budget or something you don't "need" if you really want one.
Life is a series of making sacrifices for what we want. Just as I could afford my pole building if I sold all my saws or sold my tractor, but obviously I'm not that committed to it or you would see a lot of saws listed, at least not yet ;).

Sell the 391 and upgrade!
On the money my man.
Then sell the racy ms290 and get a 241 to fill the void :yes:.

As far as I recall it was our member @blsnelling / Brad who first documented the needed modifications to get the "old" 201 up to 200 specs. I wouldn't be suprised if Stihl even simply copied his method with sending out the modified parts.

+1 for the 200t plus a replacement carbset in advance. I would say the dolmar line for the rest has a nice abuse/price ratio. A bit more simplicity same performance. 7900 24"/28"for the heavy stuff. 6100 for the regular 20" clearing business, 5105 for the 15" debranching, cutting up the small trees. Bit cheaper then stihl or husky, but mainly cheaper repairs. Trouble shooting is simpeler/takes less time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back