What color Dirko?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning to ditch the cylinder gasket on a couple of small Stihls. What color Dirko should I use for this? ALso, do I need to use it if I replace a crank seal?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Can you get colors other than red?

Red has been fine for us. I put a small amount of sealant on all seals, more so on clamshells.

Red is what Stihl calls for. I think they make a gray as well. Not sure what the difference is. I looked at the PDFs on them and they look similar at a glance. They even have a black.

You'll want the HT (which is usually red now). What saws are you into?
The orange and white pro saws of varying vintages. I am of the "Über Alles" persuasion.

Red it is! I'll get some, and there is a pair of 024s and an 025 that need pistons. I'll check seals and replace if necessary. Thanks!

Yep, that Motoseal is my favorite sealer for just about everything. Permatex makes it now and it's sold at OReillys. The number is something like 29132. I always have a tube handy. I keep Dirko also but I don't use it as much, it seems more like the silicone sealer whereas the Motoseal is applied like contact cement.

I use Dirko for all Stihl clamshells, but there are many options that work.

Dirko can work for gasket deletes... but, again--- many options.

I wasn't implying that Dirko is silicone, just that it has the same consistency and is applied the same. Dirko is better for chainsaw applications than silicone like you'd find at Walmart. Direct exposure to gasoline or fuel mix kinda softens up Dirko too however. I tried it on a gasket on my Lawn Boy carburetor base and it was soft when I changed the carb to another one.

Dirko HT RED stays soft (doesn't harden). It only needs to be applied to one surface (but can be used on both). Has an excellent working time and withstands chainsaw temps with no problem. Is easy to remove if necessary..., as in needing to reposition a part or re-apply. It is a sealant, not an adhesive.

It is not a Stihl product. Many turn their noses up at it because they think it is. It's made by Elring and has been used in the Euro auto industry for years. They make a line of such products for many different applications.

If it's good enough for Porsche, it oughta work on a chainsaw.

All I use and a very good choice for gasket deletes and all clamshells. Other products obviously also work and are in wide use. I just prefer the ease and convenience of Dirko. Long shelf life if sealed well after use.

Back