What color.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my oil pink like my saws...........

attachment.php

I love it! It matches my ear plugs. But, to my fever riddled brain, (still fighting the flu) it looks more of a purple. Some Barbie stickers and it would be the ultimate girly saw. By the way, a friend, who is quite manly, said he would not be deterred from using my saw by the Barbie/Princess stickers. I would definitely only use pastel colored mix in this saw. Anything else would be a travesty.:clap:

I love it! It matches my ear plugs. But, to my fever riddled brain, (still fighting the flu) it looks more of a purple. Some Barbie stickers and it would be the ultimate girly saw. By the way, a friend, who is quite manly, said he would not be deterred from using my saw by the Barbie/Princess stickers. I would definitely only use pastel colored mix in this saw. Anything else would be a travesty.:clap:

I was wandering if I was colorblind thanks :clap:

You might be referring to fuel going bad as meaning when our fuel is oxygenated, and its sits unused, the fuel splits, hydrogen evaporates off, and water can condense.

Keep a jug of gasoline for more than a few months and then take a sniff. Don't even smell like gas anymore. Leaves a sticky green film on the inside of the jug too.
The gas of my youth didn't do that ever.
If I was to have a generator or pump stored away for hard times I would sorely be tempted to use diesel as it stores well and doesn't go bad like that.

just my $0.02

Keep a jug of gasoline for more than a few months and then take a sniff. Don't even smell like gas anymore. Leaves a sticky green film on the inside of the jug too.
The gas of my youth didn't do that ever.
If I was to have a generator or pump stored away for hard times I would sorely be tempted to use diesel as it stores well and doesn't go bad like that.

just my $0.02

I just dont get it! We have an argocat it will sit all summer along with the drums of petrol bought for it and the fuel in the tank and ive never smelled anything other than pure petrol
I dont make more mix up than i can use in a month but thats just because i was told the benzine in the petrol brakes down the two stroke oil but i was told three months was fine

I just dont get it! We have an argocat it will sit all summer along with the drums of petrol bought for it and the fuel in the tank and ive never smelled anything other than pure petrol
I dont make more mix up than i can use in a month but thats just because i was told the benzine in the petrol brakes down the two stroke oil but i was told three months was fine

I don't know any more than that. Don't know if gas in the UK is different than what we get here. You could write a book on what I don't know, that's for sure. The problems started with the move to unleaded gasoline.

That's all that I THINK I KNOW. Wish I could be of more help than that.

What complexion season are you? Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter? Pastels are good for Spring People, dark greens and blues for Summer and so on.

There ya go GeeVee,,,, Leave it to the ladies to arrange/perfect the ensemble,,,,,

He must have cabin fever!!!!! :dizzy: Nope cant be he is snowed in,,, I see he is from the sunshine state!!!!

You could probably sell that saw to Slowp. It almost matches her pastel hickory shirt and multicolored duct tape boots.

I'm with ya on that Bob!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Is your pump petrol no good? I always read about the americans having fuel go bad, But never witnessed it here.
Whats so special about aspen?

Alky fuel is much better both for the saw, the environment, and the user.

The Aspen comes premixed with high quality synth oil, and has a storage life of a few years.....

Neither have I ever felt bad smell from gasoline that's been siting for a while, whether it has been in the tank of some kind of OPE or in some kind of dedicated gas can. There has to be some difference between European gas and American of the kind that does smell after a while but I have no clue to what it might be.

Alky fuel is much better both for the saw, the environment, and the user.

The Aspen comes premixed with high quality synth oil, and has a storage life of a few years.....

How does it compare price wise with your pump petrol and buying 2 stroke oil?
They must be hammering you when you have to buy a container each time.
And you have to manufacture, transport and dispose of that container, So that would cancel out any benifits to the enviroment?:buttkick:

How does it compare price wise with your pump petrol and buying 2 stroke oil?
And you have to manufacture, transport and dispose of that container, So that would cancel out any benifits to the enviroment?:buttkick:

It depends on the volume you buy it in. It's available in 5, 25 ans 225 liter containers, and from pump in whatever container you bring.

Here in Sweden you pay about 2x the price of standard gas for Aspen in a 5 liter cans, and then the price reduces for the larger containers, down to just 10-20% more if you bring your own. For whatever it's worth those prices includes fully synthetic 2-stroke oil, but you can get it without for your 4-stroke lawnmower as well. It's pos is not price, but superior quality.

Prices should be about the same in Norway too.

It depends on the volume you buy it in. It's available in 5, 25 ans 225 liter containers, and from pump in whatever container you bring.

Here in Sweden you pay about 2x the price of standard gas for Aspen in a 5 liter cans, and then the price reduces for the larger containers, down to just 10-20% more if you bring your own. For whatever it's worth those prices includes fully synthetic 2-stroke oil, but you can get it without for your 4-stroke lawnmower as well. It's pos is not price, but superior quality.

It adds about 10% to fuel prices to add quality oil so thats not so bad if your filling at the pumps.
Is it really going to increase the working life of a chain saw?

It adds about 10% to fuel prices to add quality oil so thats not so bad if your filling at the pumps.
Is it really going to increase the working life of a chain saw?

Erhm... Well, in Scandinavia that is the truth, on AS it's somewhere in between an interesting subject for a discussion and a laughing matter...

But the main purpose of the fuel is to reduce the harm of the unburned fuel passing right trough a 2-stroke, for both the operator and the environment, which is achieved by the fuel being very pure and with fewer additives than ordinary gas. As a side effect the exhausts is a little bit less irritating for most people, and the engine runs better and giving the saw a longer life due to the fuel being so clean.

This is the opinion of most professionals and saw mechanics here, but of course there are those not agreeing. They are however much fewer, very much fewer...

Although I use it I personally think Aspen exhausts smells much worse than Shell V-power gas mixed with Stihl HP Super...

Erhm... Well, in Scandinavia that is the truth, on AS it's somewhere in between an interesting subject for a discussion and a laughing matter...

But the main purpose of the fuel is to reduce the harm of the unburned fuel passing right trough a 2-stroke, for both the operator and the environment, which is achieved by the fuel being very pure and with fewer additives than ordinary gas. As a side effect the exhausts is a little bit less irritating for most people, and the engine runs better and giving the saw a longer life due to the fuel being so clean.

This is the opinion of most professionals and saw mechanics here, but of course there are those not agreeing. They are however much fewer, very much fewer...

Although I use it I personally think Aspen exhausts smells much worse than Shell V-power gas mixed with Stihl HP Super...

I cant say ive ever been bothered with the smell from the exhaust except with my Kawasaki th23 hedge cutter or walking behind someone strimming.
But even though its purer fuel it must still be throwing out the usual unburnt Hydrocarbons that all 2 strokes do?
What % lower emmisions do they claim?

I can confirm that, except that I never saw it availiable at a pump here.

....but as pump fuel still are cheap in the US compared to our standards, the differense probably would be larger there, but I don't really know......

Good point! :censored:

I have been using Aspen exclusively for the past two years in chainsaws , strimmer and hedgecutter. Unlike maccall I find there is very little smell of Aspen exhaust ( but I suppose that's very subjective ) and certainly far less and very different from regular petrol. The biggest benefit from this is noticed when hedgecutting when the exhaust is often literally "in your face".
In the can Aspen doesn't even smell like petrol.
Apart from being more environmentally friendly one of the biggest benefits of Aspen, especially for the casual user, is its stability . It can be stored in metal cans for at least 10 years + and if stored in its own plastic containers the only loss appears to be through transmigration through the plastic molecules.
My only caution is that there seems to be very little marker dye in the mix (if any) and it doesn't look that much different from straight petrol.

It's not a wonder fuel but it's certainly a big step in the right direction:clap:

I cant say ive ever been bothered with the smell from the exhaust except with my Kawasaki th23 hedge cutter or walking behind someone strimming.
But even though its purer fuel it must still be throwing out the usual unburnt Hydrocarbons that all 2 strokes do?
What % lower emmisions do they claim?

Aspen is good stuff, i bought a can just to see how it went and i use it all the time now, especially if your working in confined spaces eg hedge laying.
or like you mention using hedge cutters/strimmers

you wont feel as rough at the end of the day, There are regulations on how much petrol you can store without it being in metal drums (which the manufacture will take back) i think its a limit of 6x5l plastic containers (which i take back to my local dealer when i pick up a new can full) I buy 5l at a time as in fairness as i drive past my dealers most days so can pop in and collect it.

I have noticed that it seems more fuel economical, i had to reset my carb when i switch on my 372 as it was bogging down, so leaned the mix up a bit (using a tach before anyone starts screaming) and its great! Just started running my 084 on it and that seems fine as well (the only thing i dont run on aspen in my 070)

i pay £9ex vat, which is obviously more than normal mix, but there is no chance of not mixing it and wreaking kit, better for heath (and stay more alert) and in all fairness 5l a day is normally plenty and if you cant afford the extra £3 for above benefits something is seriously wrong,

its also a good selling point that you use the most environmentally friendly fuels/oils as i use bio bar oil as well (mainly for conservation and council work)

Back