What do you guy think of this sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.bear

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi my name is august and this is my first time posting.
I've been looking at getting a new sharpener I always get stuck sharpening chains so I was looking at getting on of these http://granberg.com/product/precision-grinder I want to know to you guys think

Sent from my iPod touch using tapatalk

I know there are many fans of the Granberg filing jigs. I had one and thought it was a pain as I was proficient with hand filing. For modest amount of $$, the Tecomec clones can be had for $100-125 and are full size bench mounted grinders that will do anything you need them to do.

Congrats on your first post Mr. Bear!

Sharpening is a personal thing: you have to find something that works for YOU.

There are a lot of fans of the Granberg style jigs, and a dozen or more threads on it here on A.S. There have been versions of it around since the late 50's.

The manual filing jig can be a little confusing to set up at first. But once you get it, you will get very precise, consistent, sharp cutters. It controls file height, horizontal angle, and vertical angle.

The rotary type grinders (Dremel, Oregon, STIHL, Granberg) are compact and work well in the field if 12 volts.

The one you noted is a cross between the manual Granberg filing jig and the rotary type tool. I guess that I would choose one or the other.

Philbert

Hi my name is august and this is my first time posting.
I've been looking at getting a new sharpener I always get stuck sharpening chains so I was looking at getting on of these http://granberg.com/product/precision-grinder I want to know to you guys think
Sent from my iPod touch using tapatalk

I tried one of these years back when they were introduced, after many years with the Granberg file guide. Seemed like a good idea at the time. IIRC, was actually slower than the filing guide, what with waxing the "points" (the rotating stones) and having to remove metal very slowly. Not to mention, you had to be near 12v supply. Drive belt wasn't too robust. And ... it cost lots more than the file guide.

Files don't change diameter, and still work great for me, noticeably better than grinding wheels for sharpness of edge and portability.

Bottom line: Granberg filing guide gets the call for all sharpening of my chains. NT grinder for buds' ditch-witching chains. As much as anything, I can tell the difference, they can't. Grinder saves me time for batches of their chains that are already dismounted, after a bath in the ultrasonic. Really like the Molemab & Oregon wheels.

Nice chumming, BTW, Philbert.

Pardon my manners, August. Nice to meet you. Hoping to hear more from you, and your experiences.

Thanks for the great feedback guys

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If you can find them try the firestorm wheels, the couple I had were pretty good. A little harder than the Oregon and less prone to loading like the Oregon's are but not as prone to burning like the Molemabs which are of a slightly finer grit and are harder than the Oregons. Machine rpm with grinding wheels is where we could use a variable speed function in our grinders course that adds to cost of unit. A Variable frequency drive could be used to accomplish this ( overkill for sure).

Back