What do you have for a trash saw/truck saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnflatbed

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As the title says what do you guys have run for a catch all saw? One you don't care to stick in the dirt, or lives in your truck for trees across the road. I have a echo cs-370 with a 18" bar that fits perfectly in my side toolbox I have had for going on 8-9 years and has done about everything you can do with a saw(construction demo, road clearing, trenching etc.) save cutting a fishing hole in ice. Not a professional grade saw but it has been the absolute most reliable.reunion random 046.JPG

A husky 162 made from almost worn out bits that were replaced on other saws. Instead of throwing them away I bolted it all together on cases that are one step better than junk and a cylinder that is very average looking and it runs really well. It has a worn out 22"Stihl bar on home made adapters and a Chinese chain. Only good bits are the fuel line and case seals. And it looks it. Goes good though.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

I carry a husqvarna 242xp in my truck , got a 13" Sugihara bar on it , use it for anything that comes my way , usually wind blown limbs , never cut an ice hole or anything like that .
I've cut mud brick and corrugated iron but I've never cut ice either.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

028 salvaged from a fire. Runs strong. Bungee to tractor and skid steer

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Pic
95d0c3adac9b641b78589b87bb20373e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

CS-490 echo with a 20" bar. Little undersized to pull it but it gets the job done when needed. Was my first new saw and I have upgraded a couple times. Also scored a nice little mac that needs a recoil. No idea what it is but it doesn't even have the paint wore off the bar.

I've got this very old Pioneer-Partner 330 with multiple replacement parts from the Chainsawr.com and JBWeld repair. P1050182.JPG It does not start on the first pull, more like just before my arm gives out. But it has cut more dirty trees, roots, ice, railroad ties, just about anything the 14" bar can reach around. It owes me nothing, and if it were ever to give up the ghost, I wouldn't spend actual money to repair it (trade some firewood maybe).

I've got this very old Pioneer-Partner 330 with multiple replacement parts from the Chainsawr.com and JBWeld repair. View attachment 601258 It does not start on the first pull, more like just before my arm gives out. But it has cut more dirty trees, roots, ice, railroad ties, just about anything the 14" bar can reach around. It owes me nothing, and if it were ever to give up the ghost, I wouldn't spend actual money to repair it (trade some firewood maybe).
I have the identical saw in red as a Jonsered 361. They are tough little saws. Only issue we have had with it in 40 years has been fuel related.

The last "trash" saw I loaned out was a Mac 3516, loaned to tree removal company. It was returned to me with a broken outer handle, bent bar, burned up chain, broken pull cord, and no bar oil inside the oil tank. Apparently it was also dropped from a bucket loader about 30 feet up. I fixed it all, and placed it on a shelf in my garage for safe keeping. Luckily, I had parts.

Back