what gives more loss in pressure, angles or hose lenght?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*ryan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is it better to have longer hoses with no angle connectors?
or
to have shorter hose with angle connectors?

this is mainly for the working ports

i read the feed should have as few angles as possible in it, of course mine as i got it has 4 90s on it

or

i read the feed should have as few angles as possible in it, of course mine as i got it has 4 90s on it
or

Angles are far more restrictive......90's are much worse than 45's, but either are equivalent to considerable straight length.

sundance

Angles are far more restrictive......90's are much worse than 45's, but either are equivalent to considerable straight length.

sundance
equivalent-length-screwed-fittings-feet.png

Technically, you won't lose much pressure either way. I'm assuming you mean loss of flow GPM. In designing a wood splitter, the loss of flow speed is more detrimental than pressure loss. Pressure can be adjusted in the valve to compensate for low pressure. Longer hoses don't affect flow as much as fitting angle and even that is usually not a very big problem. The best thing you can do is get 3/4" fittings on the cylinder. I've found that seems to be the weak link. With 3/4" fittings you would have to be running a pump greater than 28 gpm to have that be too small. Don't forget though most detent valves won't flow more than 25 gpm anyway.

Thank you
i did buy new weld on bungs for 3/4 hoses
and my new valve is 3/4 so i will be measuring for hoses, looks like i will go with straight hose with 45s probably

no its a 4" cylinder (OD is 4.5") with a 2" rod 34" stroke
18hp motor
going to upgrade the hoses to 3/4 and new pump as originally the splitter had a 7hp motor, so who knows what size pump
but the ram is slow

Pipe and hoses won't restrict volume enough to matter. The fittings, especially 90° (and too small a pipe or hose size) will. Fittings often have a smaller ID than the hose they are used with. The fewer fittings you have in a hydraulic system, the better.

Bear in mind that volume or flow rate is not the same as system pressure. Hydraulic systems follow Pascal's Law which states that when there is an increase in pressure at any point in a confined fluid, there is an equal increase at every other point in the container. System pressure does the work; system volume determines how fast (or how slowly) your cylinders will shift.

Any restriction in volume will restrict cylinder movement. As an aside, too small a pipe or hose size on the return to tank side will restrict cylinder movement as well.

Back