What is a cheap but good material for carb. to engine gasket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGC4200

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been piddling with an old Weedeater GTI-19T trimmer.
I have a chainsaw tooth blade on it.
I have a carb kit ordered, but it does not appear to have this
gasket. I have been eyeballing beverage containers & shoebox
lids for fabrication material, but they are paint slick on one side.
I am thinking NAPA for gasket material or ?........

paper gasket material at your local parts house comes in different thicknesses and is cheap. I use it for carb to cylinder gaskets all the time. Be careful cutting it out and I use a leather punch to cut the holes for the bolts.

I would avoid this....

DSC03421.jpg

DSC03419.jpg

Back in the day, there were millions of miles put on gaskets made out of 'whatever' , a lot of it's success depended on how well it was sealed.

Gasket-sealer, Fuel-lube, grease, all worked to keep anything fuel, oil or water/coolant related from getting soaked and falling apart.

If there is an engine rebuilding supply house in your area they will likely have Victor brand gasket materials in sheet form and it comes in many thicknesses. There are types for all kinds of applications, heat resistant, oil, gas high pressure, you name it, they likely have it.
Pioneerguy600

It is looking like gasket material may be the fix.

The engine has tiny impulse port holes; a little loose sealer could cause
more problems. If the carb kit & gasket does not fix; I have a mattock/grubbing
hoe that will fix the problem & the POS Weedeater too.

I have made gaskets all my life for everything I turned my hand to, its not hard at all, a set of punches of various sizes, a leather punch , a sharp exacto knife and a pair of scissors will handle most cutting chores. A sharp lead pencil for tracing and some blueing ink all come in handy for transfering the shape of parts to the gasket material, even a can of spray paint comes in handy to quickly outline a part on a sheet of gasket material.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back