What is a McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10-10

I started out with a 10-10 in my pre-Stihl days. Other than always having a spare starter rope on hand, it did a pretty good job. WAY better than a 610.
But I have no intention of going back to it.

When I was a lad, my dad had 3 chain saws; an old Homelite 26 and 2 mac 3-25's (this is early 1960's). The 3-25's were parked in an old car trunk out in the pasture, but the 26 had trade-in value (ended up on the wall at dealer) so we got ourselves a Homelite 17. I still have the 17.

After Dad was killed in an accident, Mom remarried, and life went on...sometime later, I had the opportunity to buy the old farm; low and behold, the old '50 Ford was still in the pasture, and the 2, 3-25's were still in the trunk.

They don't run any better now than they did then.

I worked on many 10-10s in the 1980 period. They were fair to good saws for the day. They had the iron cylinder liner, if you didn't know. I owned a 700 which is not much more than a 70cc, 10-10. Again, a good saw for it's time, baring a lubrication goof up, they were very durable.

I wouldn't want to use either of them today, too slow, too heavy, and too much vibration. However, I would rather have than the Homelites of that period.

Tony,

What Homelite saws are you referring to ? I have always loved the Homelite saws but I can nominate some for the biggest pieces of junk made. The leading one from the time period mentioned would be the 330. There are several others also. On the other hand in my opinion it would be tough to find a better 3.5 cu saw more the money than the Super XL in that time period. I was just wonder which ones you hated.

Bill

Hello saw guys,

I have one up for grabs. No starter handle.

A old timer(84yrs.), gave it to me today,along with a mess of mustard greens:D yeah, what a day!

FREE FREE FREE if anyone wants it, McCulloch pro mac 10-10,
MP

Last of the "good" Macs

They were still making the ProMac 10-10 and the ProMac 700 right up to about four years ago. They don't compare to the tech. of today but, were fine saws. My experience w/the 10-10 was excellent. She screamed. I don't know the difference 'tween the 10-10 and the ProMac 10-10 though.

heres one of mine

Heres a pic of my mac 10-10 NOS (new old stuff) It has been run briefly, but never touched wood. I have the original box as well. I kept it in the living room for about 6 months after I got it, but the GF eventually won out and I had to move it to the garage. JB

I had a pro mac 10-10 for 8 or 9 yrs that I used to cut wood and do a little logging with. Must have been a tuff saw cause in them days I didn't take care of anything. I remember it always started easy enough but after it was warmed up restarting after fueling or checking the chain was a real bugger. Also that thing would make my hands go numb after a tank or two. Seemed to have good power and never did I have anything go wrong with it, a whole different class of saws than the new crop of macs.

shoot501, I had a CP55 McCulloch as my first saw , same symptoms as yours . I often wondered if that is where the term 'Yellow Dog' came from !!!!

Mac 10-10

I have a Mac 10-10 and it is a wood cuttin chainsaw. It revs fast and stays strong. It'll cut with and saw made the same size.. I own 3 mcculloch saws and love em.

My $0.02

I have a 10-10 that I bought of eBay as I thought it would help balance my collection. I cleaned it up a little and replaced a few worn / missing items and it starts and runs very well. I like the fact that it has 3/8" pitch chain and 16" bar, pretty durable combination. If I were a professional and needed something to run all day every day I would certainly go with something more modern, but you have to love the sound the old McCulloch saws make. I'm sure my neighbors are even beginning to learn the difference between the McCulloch's (make your chest thump), the old Homelites (my ears are still ringing), the Jonsered saws (can hardly tell they are running) and the Stihl (quite a bark itself).

Bill, if you have any boat anchors you want to get rid of let me know, I can swing by later next week to have a look and perhaps let you see a little green early this spring.

Mark

Back