What is a McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are interested, there is a dealer in CA. that sells new Pro mac 10-10S for $500.00. I got some literature from them last year so that information may not hold up. If you want there name let me know and I will see if I can find it. Tom

Pro Mac 10-10

Just picked up a nice looking Pro Mac 10 10 if anyones interested, its complete but will need a cleaning from sitting. Comes with a very good 16-18 inch bar and chain. Pics if you'd like. Hundred bucks and shipping its yours. I haven't started it yet but spark is good as is compression pulls easily, i will get'er started as well before selling or if no interest i'll fleabay it later next week. This one has a chain break.

Last edited:
Mcculloch Mac 10-10

Here is a good story for all of the MAC haters out there. I was given a Mac 10-10 (67-70) chainsaw in the spring of 2003 from a buddy for helping him move. The pull starter was broken. I didn't have time to mess with it so I put it in my storage unit (with gas still in it) when I moved cross country. I was finally able last month to retrieve the saw. I loaded it into the back of my car and drove it back east. I finally had a chance yesterday to finally work on it. So I fixed the pull starter sprayed some teflon on the recoil and after a few pulls it FIRED with old gas and ran! So I then filled it up with fresh gas and it runs fine. I will post a picture of the saw soon. These saws are like gold the value just keeps going up. I remember when alot of people had a busted mcculloch in their garage like 15 years ago.

You got me scared. I guess thats why I asked about McCulloch. I only know about Stihl's I guess I will quit trying to save my money and buy what I know is the best.

For anyone wondering about the saw I am looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2047035662

Actually the price on this saw is getting up there where I would rather have an 026 pro or even an 046 magnum saw for a few more bucks.

Thanks to all who helped me with the info!!!

Sawnut

The 10-10 may be one of the most popular models of chainsaw ever built--at least if you discount the box store cheapies. It was produced from the late 60's to the 90's some time. It is built like the rest of the late 40's-70's Macs--very, very, well. That's one reason you still see them for sale and running on fleabay.

I have a 7 Macs setting around from the late 50's to the late 70's--some haven't been started in a year. I'm betting every one of them will start on the third pull (OK, some of the ones setting for a while may take 5-6 pulls.....;) )

But if your not into a vintage machine, then a newer saw would probably do you better.

Casey

Here is a good story for all of the MAC haters out there. I was given a Mac 10-10 (67-70) chainsaw in the spring of 2003 from a buddy for helping him move. The pull starter was broken. I didn't have time to mess with it so I put it in my storage unit (with gas still in it) when I moved cross country. I was finally able last month to retrieve the saw. I loaded it into the back of my car and drove it back east. I finally had a chance yesterday to finally work on it. So I fixed the pull starter sprayed some teflon on the recoil and after a few pulls it FIRED with old gas and ran! So I then filled it up with fresh gas and it runs fine. I will post a picture of the saw soon. These saws are like gold the value just keeps going up. I remember when alot of people had a busted mcculloch in their garage like 15 years ago.

About 4 years ago, I spied an old mac sitting in the shed of a neighbor. Gave him 20 bucks for a 7-10. There was an inch of chicken####, and a couple inches of cobwebs and dead flies on it--had to scrape it off with a putty knife just to see what model it was. It still had gas in it. I dumped the gas out, put fresh gas in.....two pulls with the choke on, third pull with the choke off.....and it started.......

Casey

i have a 10-10 ,and its a lil rough to first start but starts fine after that, and i love it
sure i would rather have a 4-600 dollar new saw but for the price,and nostalgia what the heck-lol
i just got a 1-53!!- its 80cc's:greenchainsaw: - i know its big as hell ,but i wont be climbing trees like you guys do just every day things

oh btw the 10-10 is 54 cc

Mac 10-10 great saw

My dad had one, and now it's mine. It's not a pro mac 10 10 it's the original. Make sure to drain the gas out after every use. A tiny bit of starting fluid and it gets after it. We used the stuff out of it and finally burned up the motor, only because someone used regular oil in the gas for years before I realized thats not a good thing. Had it bored and ringed and it still runs great. You do have to pull a few times but the motor is like 3 cubic inches and it pulls kinda hard. It has a manual oiler and can handle most jobs.
If I'm just going to a job and don't know what to bring . That's the one I take It's a little heavy for the small stuff and a bit small for the really big stuff. Good all around saw.
I've buried that 16" hard nose bar in thirty inches of OAK many times and it never missed a beat. To bad the quality of Macs went south during the years but that one is a classic. As far as the weight goes. It is not that bad even by todays standards for the power. Vibration is another story though. Plan on having your hands and arms tingling for a while after a hard days work.

Keep it sharp, keep it clean, run it often and it will last a long time. Almost 40 years so far.
I use a light Echo 3450 now for the little stuff and a heavy 4 cubic inch modified Poulan 3400 with a 20 inch bar for the bigger stuff.

Does anyone know anything about a McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10 saw? I found a used one but the seller knows nothing about it.

Looking for how many CC's the motor is, relative horsepower etc.

Is this a good saw or is it more of a wall hanger?

What's it going to be like to run a old boy like this all day?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Sawnut.....

I joined this site, JUST TO respond to this question, as you seam to getting A LOT of bogus answers..:dizzy: These saws are INCREDIBLE MACHINES!!!! In EVERY way shape and form..

AND I MEAN FAR BETTER!!!!! than the 8,000 dollar Husqvarnas ever dreamed of being... :buttkick:

I am a small engine guy FOR A LIVING!! I have worked on them all.. Siihl makes a really reliable strong smooth running saw, BUT they are HARD AS HELL!!! to work on..

Husqvarna make s strong running saw, they (tend to) start and run pretty great.. BUT!!!! They wear out, and sometimes DON'T START worth a ****...
If ANYONE!!!!!!! EVER TELLS YOU!!! a Mcculloch is impossible to start, or is a boat anchor, has either ONLY OWNED one that is just totally ran to death, never mainatined, and ALWAYS OWNED by someone who has no idea what they are doing in the first place.. I have a few different makes and models of Mcculloch saws that I USE personally, (not for sale) BECAUSE ALTHOUGH the thing is FIFTY YEARS OLD!! It ALWAYS!! starts and pulls like a *****..

Case in point.. I had one (sold it to be rebuilt into a vintage gokart engine) UNLIKE people do with Husqvaranas.. This thing was a 1964 model.. HEAVY... LOUD... just a bear to use everyday.. It had so many damned miles on it, IT WAS impossible to start.. SO, first time of the day running it, I just dumped a shot of gas down the throat to get it going.. Once it barked and warmed up it stared fine all day after that... That is a matter of the engine having extremely high miles.. Rings and seals and stuff wear out... STILL RUNS AND CUTS JUST FINE!!! I mean would outrun my brother in laws (smaller) BUT BRAND NEW and modern design, Husqvara that WORE OUT WORE OUT!! JUNK!!! in 2 years....

The one I use now, is a Mcculloch Super Pro 70... OLD 1970's saw.. Pretty well the ame saw you are talking about, only 20 years older.. THIS SAW I bought from a SCRAP YARD!! for 6 dollars.. It is BY FAR!! The strongest running saw I've had or held... Evidently it was junked do to a leaking seal between the oil tank and engine crank case, because anything over 1/2 tank of oil, will end up burning strait through the engine... I just never fill it more than 1/2 way and it's fine.. If I really cared, I would split the motor and give it a going through.. But it gets used constantly, and I really don't care.. :rolleyes:

MY NEIGHBOR, good buddy of mine, has a BRAND NEW!!! Husqvarna.. I can't remember the model, but i do remember while back him saying it was 60 some CC's.. HIS SAW WILL NOT EVEN TURN OVER most the time.. I mean pull the rope.. AND NOTHING THERE!!! :p have to pull the rope 1/2 dozen times berfore it catches.. Last night he sat there beating the side of the engine trying to get his rope to engage..

I will give the saw credit, as the carburetor is a little lean.. I tell him all the time he should let me tweak it for him, but he doesn't seam that worried about it refusing to wind out for the first minute until it is warm..

That being said, it runs and cuts pretty damned good once it is finally running.. :chainsaw:

MY SAW!!!! On the other hand.. STARTS RITE UP!! EVERY TIME!!! :chainsaw: It has an old fashion stupid bar with NO ROLLER AT ALL at the tip, and is pulling a WORN OUT TO DEATH stretched and leaning 20 inch chain around it... The engine eats chain lube if you over fill it.. and IT'S ALREADY FORTY PLUS YEARS OLD!!!!

My saw is just a fraction larger cubic inches wise, but has cut more wood than Erics saw ever will, is 40 years in the dark ages technology wise, and is an old man.. and cuts just about exactly the same as erics saw does.. we are just about a dead match, with ME HAVING the %1 advantage.....:bowdown:

I work on smalll engines for a living.. I am HERE TO TELL YOU!!!!!!! There is NO SUCH THING as a GOOD modern chainsaw.. Not even Mcculloch makes one... Tree Huggers have them so Eco friendly, that they are totaly impossible to adjust to run as it should, and china's economy, has made impossible to build a decent saw, for the same price as chinese crap.. These two factors have made anything you buy pretty well chinese junk.. You can spend THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!! :eek: THOU!!!! SANDS!!!! FOUR DIGIT PRICE TAGS on these big bad brand new Husqvarans...

and they don't start,.. HELL.. it won't even TURN OVER!!! and once it IS RUNNING.. you had better make it count, because it's so eco-Friendly, is gonna totally MELT DOWN and be worn out JUNK!!! in ten years...

My saw... If i am hogging through a HUGE dead and hardened standing Dutch Elm stump, it's dry as gunpodwer, and hard as marble... I can just smash in the (oiler) button with my thumb, and PYSICALLY PUMP more oil to the chain.. a new sa wont do that.. I can rebuild mine with a screwdriver.. a Modern Stihl won't let you FIND THE CARB!!!....

Buy this saw and you'll love it.. :chainsaw:

Right on "Kid", I have several of the 10-10 and a 700, 7-10 , 55, 60, and they all run and cut wood for me all day long. I agree with your assessment of the mac 10-10, a screwdriver and a pocket knife gets you out of any trouble and back into cutting most of the time. They are quite easy to work on and take apart. As I look on e-bay I see that they are getting harder to find so I may not sell as many as I have in the past. I like to have one or two as backup parts saws. When you find any runners or parts saws cheap, grab them and hang on to them.

I sold a Mac 10-10A a few days ago for $60. They don't have AV, don't have a chain brake and are loud as all get out. They cut good. The 10-10A is 54cc I believe and it's power to weight ratio isn't bad (no safety add ons, lol)
There just isn't much market for them. Not really a daily cutter in light of what else is available out there.

I still have another RH start 10-10A and if I can fix the auto oiler, it'll probably go on the block for about $65.00. These saws are "cool" but no market for them. Mac made a ton of them. Never had a hard time getting one started but never cut all day with one either. Well, I did cut with them lots about 25 or 30 years ago but no recent experience to speak of.

Was searching Craigslist for 10-10 parts today. Look what I found: http://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/4714938709.html

00M0M_cZnkOFoUkn8_600x450.jpg

Hell I'd rather have a mcculloch than anything.I read through those old posts and was thinking.WTF! Lol the only 2 macs I have bought that wouldnt run on new gas was a 1-10 with a bullfrog carb and a super 33.the 33 actually run for a little while but flooded out.

Such great old saws. So sad they went bankrupt. I may have to be buried with my grandfathers old 55. Nothing beats that thunderous Mac exhaust note!

That's a healthy "you suck"! Just for condition and the case! If it runs and you got a killer price, double you suck!
Sadly, I have enough yellow. (I know very sad) It's available, you may want to email the guy and see if he'll ship it.

Sadly, I have enough yellow. (I know very sad) It's available, you may want to email the guy and see if he'll ship it.

Oh, not in a saw buying position at all now, doing other stuff with my limited funds. I am sure though if you were to grab it cheap locally, someone here would snarf it off the tradin post.

Latest posts

Back