What is growing under these silver maple leaves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teeroy78

Reaction score
Good evening folks!

My name is Troy. I'm a very rookie arborist, or at least I will be once my Manitoba Arborist Licence comes in the mail any day now... :) My friend asked me for advice, but I'm not sure what the problem is and am hoping for some diagnostic help.

My friend has a silver maple tree in the back yard that has a growth forming on the underside of the leaves. It starts small and in splotches all over, then as it spreads to cover the entire underside of the leaf it is choked out, wilts, and then dies. It is happening in pockets here and there throughout the tree, mostly between 3-6' above ground level.

The tree is fairly young, about six years old. My friend planted it from a twig taken from the huge tree across the street. DBH is 1.75". There is another silver maple in the front yard planted at the same time which is fine.

Attached are some pictures of the tree and the leaves. I would be very grateful for any help in identifying the problem.

Troy
IMG_20170606_1807414.jpg IMG_20170606_1807549.jpg IMG_20170606_1808343.jpg IMG_20170606_1807096.jpg

First pick looks like erinium mite galls but if it's spreading like that maybe a downy or powdery mildew.

Back