what is the longest burning wood stove out there ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to heat my home with a stove and thats hard to do when you pack it full at 12 am and get at 6 am and it's out and the furnace is running.

I will not spend 3 grand on a stove that will replace what I have and only get 2 more hours of burn time.
If I replace my stove I want that fire to still be going 12 hours at least.
I also think that a bigger fire box woule allow me to put in 3 or 4 unsplit logs instead of just the 1 I can put in now .

I would like to heat my home with a stove and thats hard to do when you pack it full at 12 am and get at 6 am and it's out and the furnace is running.

Here's one that's even harder - it's 6 AM and your children are freezing because there IS no furnace!

:confused: Did somebody really ask why we'd need more than 2 hours of burn time?

:jawdrop:

I will not spend 3 grand on a stove that will replace what I have and only get 2 more hours of burn time.
If I replace my stove I want that fire to still be going 12 hours at least.
I also think that a bigger fire box woule allow me to put in 3 or 4 unsplit logs instead of just the 1 I can put in now .

I don't know what stove you have now but if you're only getting 6 hours out of it then it is too small. Any of the modern stoves should get you 10+ hours. Bigger diameter logs might burn longer because they take longer to burn....if that makes sense. But that slower burn isn't going to produce as much heat in the short-term. I read somewhere (which I don't have handy) that max heat balanced with an efficient/moderate rate of combustion is best achieved by packing the stove with 5 inch diameter (or split) logs.

my stove is not the smallest out there but the design of the firebox does not allow for alot of wood and as isaid befor the wood I have been burning is not all the best.
I am getting birch this year so I will do another year of burning with this stove and see how better wood lasts.

seriously, its so sad to see that you ppl are ruining your chimneys and stoves by keeping the fire barely lit... Only REASONABLE way to heat home with only wood is to either use a big oven, that reserves heat or use some kind of heating that works with water so you can heat the water in reservoir instead of keeping fire lit for several hours...

but yeah, however you want it....

My stove is from the 70s, I think, and the chimney is about 30-35 years old.

They're both fine, thanks. They're being used the way they were designed, like many millions of others around the world. Most of the BTUs in my wood goes into the house, instead of out the flue. Works for me.

seriously, its so sad to see that you ppl are ruining your chimneys and stoves by keeping the fire barely lit... Only REASONABLE way to heat home with only wood is to either use a big oven, that reserves heat or use some kind of heating that works with water so you can heat the water in reservoir instead of keeping fire lit for several hours...

but yeah, however you want it....

Howso? Splane plez.

Stoves wear out when burned flat out. Chimneys are ruined? How?

I like what I have and how I run it just fine thanks. The barely lit part comes after a full load has almost burned itself out and hopefully I have arrived in the nick of time to put some more wood on and shut the door.
You see, I run our stove typically wide open almost all the time that the temp. is colder than -10C
Haven't had any build-up in the flue since It was installed about 6 years ago.
I really haven't gotten the indication that anyone here wants to cut and split just to let it smoulder all the time. Nobody has expressed that length of burn is more important than heating the house from what I see .:computer:

Wow, I had no idea I was ruining my cast stove and stainless liner by not cranking it up and burning a hot fire constantly. Care to explain?:dizzy: :dizzy:

creosote buildup with first good fire -> chimney fire, also creosote is somewhat corrosive...

anyhow, enough of that....

Tonight I'm burning some semi-seasoned spruce and poplar......Oh No!!!...I hope I don't get the Creosotes!!:spam:

well I disagree, mine goes all night plenty of coals left after 7 or 8 hrs. Its been down to 10 a couple of times sense I have put my oslo in and no problem keeping my 1600 ft house 72 or better all night. maybe you need new windows, or better wood, or something

I have two Oslo in my 6500 sq. ft. house. House and windows are essentially new. I have 10 foot ceilings through out and front and back fully open stairwells winding to the third floor. So, most probably, a very different house to heat than your house.

If you read my post you would see that I said if I pack my stove(s) and damper down I still have coals in the morning after a cold night. I don't think anyone would suggest however that the Oslo will burn much beyond 8-10 hours.

Am I doing something wrong? I've been using a CB5036 to heat 2608 sq ft and my hot water for the last two years, and I load it once a day. I'm using fairly dry mostly hard wood and I stack it in 30" wide by 20" high and about 20" deep when it's cold outside, significantly less now that it's warmed up a little. When I first installed it I was checking it every couple hours and tried various combinations of wood load and cycle times. The 24 hour cycle seems to work really good for me. I always have plenty of coals left when I fill it after supper every night.

I have two Oslo in my 6500 sq. ft. house. House and windows are essentially new. I have 10 foot ceilings through out and front and back fully open stairwells winding to the third floor. So, most probably, a very different house to heat than your house.

If you read my post you would see that I said if I pack my stove(s) and damper down I still have coals in the morning after a cold night. I don't think anyone would suggest however that the Oslo will burn much beyond 8-10 hours.

With that much house you are doing excellent with 2 Oslos. That is a lot of space for those two stoves to heat.

what's a CB5036? did a google search and came up empty..

any wood burning stove that's got a 24 hour burn and does a good job of heating a large house, has got my attention...

Am I doing something wrong? I've been using a CB5036 to heat 2608 sq ft and my hot water for the last two years, and I load it once a day. I'm using fairly dry mostly hard wood and I stack it in 30" wide by 20" high and about 20" deep when it's cold outside, significantly less now that it's warmed up a little. When I first installed it I was checking it every couple hours and tried various combinations of wood load and cycle times. The 24 hour cycle seems to work really good for me. I always have plenty of coals left when I fill it after supper every night.

Waterford Ashling

Anyone out there have one of these?? I have one, wish that it was about 50% larger. I am having trouble getting parts though.

Be careful there Nathan...the wood stove police won't be happy b/c your referring to a central boiler.
Yes Hanko I burn alot of wood...guess I didn't read where it said comments about OWB's weren't welcome. Good thing I burn alot of wood, otherwise why would i need so many darn chainsaws! No chilley mornings/ no smoke in the house/no dust and dirt in the house from draggin wood in. Think I'll keep burning up woodpiles in my OWB.

Back