what is the longest burning wood stove out there ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Unfortunately, when it is cold at night, the heat will come on-especially in the master bedroom where my wife conrols the termostat.

LOL - My good friend Big Bob put a placebo thermostat on the wall in their rec room, close to the woodstove. She always complained about the heat when the fire was on. This thermostat did have wires to it and so did nothing except . . . keep her happy :)

LOL - My good friend Big Bob put a placebo thermostat on the wall in their rec room, close to the woodstove. She always complained about the heat when the fire was on. This thermostat did have wires to it and so did nothing except . . . keep her happy :)

I couldn't live with a woman that stupid. I'd never get away with that, and I like it that way.

Honestly, I don't know how some guys can stand it.

I was told that blaze king will do 40 hours on low.
I would be happy with 12 hours .
heating about 2000 sq ft with birch slabs and logs .
jotul is a good looking unit but I am all about burn time and a big fire box.

100% efficiency - not attainable but here's the math
23,000,000 BTU/Cord Ash
80,000 BTU/Hr Burn
287.5 287 HRS
11.98 Days
A small size wood gasifier boiler would provide the best efficiency.

Remember that the slower you burn the logs, the greater the chance for creosote build up in the flue. You are thus depositing unburned "fuel" in the walls of the chimney whenever you throttle the stove way down for a longer burn time. That can eventually come back and haunt you with a roar that you will never forget.

Remember that the slower you burn the logs, the greater the chance for creosote build up in the flue. You are thus depositing unburned "fuel" in the walls of the chimney whenever you throttle the stove way down for a longer burn time. That can eventually come back and haunt you with a roar that you will never forget.
The old timers I know said that copper or copper sulfate in the fire dries creosote. Copper wire in the fireplace and tubes of copper power in the boiler.
Any other experiences out there?

Welcome to the site, Dak. And you pulled up a 10 year old thread on your first go! Congrats!
You are already a Necrothreadiac! :laugh:

But you're from Detroit. Sorry about that.

From what I understand, throwing copper, aluminum, and other kinds of metals into the fire to prevent creosote is nothing more than old wives tales, but there are threads on here about that.

Most would recommend getting a good hot burn going first to clear out (and prevent) creosote and then damping the stove down to a reasonable temp.

Welcome to the site, Dak. And you pulled up a 10 year old thread on your first go! Congrats!
You are already a Necrothreadiac! :laugh:
But you're from Detroit. Sorry about that.

From what I understand, throwing copper, aluminum, and other kinds of metals into the fire to prevent creosote is nothing more than old wives tales, but there are threads on here about that.

Most would recommend getting a good hot burn going first to clear out (and prevent) creosote and then damping the stove down to a reasonable temp.
That's how I do it. FWIW, it is kind of fun to see how fast a hot wood stove fire can completely disolve an aluminum can. It just plain "evaporates."

I'm not sure about the longest burning wood stove. But the Centralia Coal stove has to up there in the top two or three, and the Hazelwell in Australia may be number one, Joe.

Latest posts

Back