Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this? Please help

Discussion in 'Nursery' started by mbsfield, Nov 15, 2016.

1. mbsfield

mbsfield ArboristSite Lurker

Can anyone identify what this issue might be? The disease is on a potted Japanese red maple.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

2. DR. P. Proteus

DR. P. Proteus Addicted to ArboristSite

Its a kind of insect, they call them mites or scale. I think some soapy water should do the trick or you could get so kind of spray at the hardware store. Sevin?

3. arborgeek

arborgeek Just hanging out

You can get some horticultural oil and spray it at 1-2% mix rate. I have used soapy oil for aphids, and it works well. I have never tried soap for scale, but hort oil is inexpensive and works well for scale. Just don't spray hort oil on a blue spruce. The oil will drain the blue color out and they will turn back to the normal green of a spruce. The new growth will be blue again, but they look awful for a while.

4. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

Indoor tree?

5. Del_

Del_ I was cured all right.

"Oil-sensitive Plants
    Several plants are susceptible to oils: maples, particularly Japanese and red maple; hickories and black walnut; plume cedar ( Cryptomeria japonica ) and smoke tree ( Cotinus coggygria ). Injury to these plants can occur from either dormant or summer oil applications. Several plants are also somewhat sensitive: redbud, junipers, cedars, spruce, and Douglas firs."

http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/PHC/hortoil.htm

Imacloprid may be best. Always, always, always make sure that the plant you are treating and those nearby are not susceptible to damage from the control being used. Read up on scale control:

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/files/efpdf2/ef427.pdf

6. Buckshot00

Buckshot00 00

White scale.

7. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

Cheap easy thing to try without much chance of damaging the tree would be permethrin spray. Can be found at most feed stores and even walmart under the brand name Sawyers in the camping area. Usually used to treat clothing for ticks but it kills just about anything in the insect world on contact. Not good for cats and fish though, other animals are safe at normal dosages just don't drink the stuff.